Autopsy Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

It didn't hurt Bailey Smith, Bevo played him through poor form and he usually only had 2 average games before having another good one.
Are really comparing what they have done at the same period? Didn’t hurt jack steven not playing a lot or clark being dropped sometimes.also a higher pick usually gets more chances.

It didn't hurt Bailey Smith, Bevo played him through poor form and he usually only had 2 average games before having another good one.
Most know what we mean when we say should play every game

This is my take on bytel. Plays as long as he deserves a game. If he has a couple of bad ones in the next 2 weeks he gets dropped like nearly all young players. Still yet to play a proper seconds game so it won’t hurt to play a few if his form isn’t good enough. Ok to say now he plays for the rest of the year but a couple of losses and poor form and his name will be up to be dropped as it should be. If he plays like he did last week then there are no issues. Just hate the thought of guaranteed games.
Here's my take on your take on Bytel. It seemed to me to be pretty much the same take as you've expressed the last 12 months or so, with just a slight softening in your language so that by the end of the season you can claim that you said he should play every game "if he's good enough" instead of holding the line he should develop in the twos. It was nice you used the first sentence to give the reader forewarning that you were about to say something, though nothing particularly inspired or original, nor anything that could be construed as a firm opinion that a person could particularly agree or disagree with.
Over all, the normal down hill skiing effort that we've come to expect, so nothing noteworthy in either positive or negative sense. The grammar and spelling were of the usual good standard, and there was certainly nothing inflammatory or overtly negative, which is a good effort I suppose.

Here's my take on your take on Bytel. It seemed to me to be pretty much the same take as you've expressed the last 12 months or so, with just a slight softening in your language so that by the end of the season you can claim that you said he should play every game "if he's good enough" instead of holding the line he should develop in the twos. It was nice you used the first sentence to give the reader forewarning that you were about to say something, though nothing particularly inspired or original, nor anything that could be construed as a firm opinion that a person could particularly agree or disagree with.
Over all, the normal down hill skiing effort that we've come to expect, so nothing noteworthy in either positive or negative sense. The grammar and spelling were of the usual good standard, and there was certainly nothing inflammatory or overtly negative, which is a good effort I suppose.
I’m unsure what any of that means but if you are saying I said he should develop in the twos well that’s clearly wrong. You shouldn’t smoke ice and post is my take on your post. I gather you have said he should play every game this season and don’t like the fact I disagree. Actually I have no idea what you are saying. And if downhill skiing is suggesting I always give myself an out or pick easy options you couldn’t be more wrong. How many times do I cop it for an opinion. Just in case you have forgotten. The answer is many. Now don’t light that pipe again.

Or Sam Walsh. Played every game
If Jack Bytel can reach the same form as Sam Walsh hes no chance of being dropped.

Even Bailey Smith isn't a great example. He started his career as a foward flank which makes it much easier to find a spot.

By his 3rd game he got 22 touches and while he was a bit up and down he was regularly getting over 20 touches and kicking a goal.

If Bytel can do that he'll have no issue keeping his spot.

The issue is, it's bloody hard to keep playing a guy that can only play midfield that isn't finding much of the footy.

Fingers crossed his form from last week continues to rise and we don't have to have the discussion of whether we play him or not.

Bytel doesn't need to develop in the 2's. He's not a kid, he's a man. Play him.
He certainly doesn’t. Not sure anyone has said that but like any young kid his form decides where he plays. If his form is good he stays. If it isn’t he goes. The twos never hurt anyone. Matter of fact where did bytel play the week before last? Yep a full game in a seconds practice match. People seem scared of playing guys in the seconds.

He certainly doesn’t. Not sure anyone has said that but like any young kid his form decides where he plays. If his form is good he stays. If it isn’t he goes. The twos never hurt anyone. Matter of fact where did bytel play the week before last? Yep a full game in a seconds practice match. People seem scared of playing guys in the seconds.
Agreed. It seems like only yesterday that Hunter Clark was tearing it up in the vfl and this helped him develop. If Bytel drops in form I’d be happy to see him prove his worth in the twos. Right now he is in good form though so hopefully it continues for some time.

If Jack Bytel can reach the same form as Sam Walsh hes no chance of being dropped.

Even Bailey Smith isn't a great example. He started his career as a foward flank which makes it much easier to find a spot.

By his 3rd game he got 22 touches and while he was a bit up and down he was regularly getting over 20 touches and kicking a goal.

If Bytel can do that he'll have no issue keeping his spot.

The issue is, it's bloody hard to keep playing a guy that can only play midfield that isn't finding much of the footy.

Fingers crossed his form from last week continues to rise and we don't have to have the discussion of whether we play him or not.

Bailey Smith was getting plenty of midfield time in one of the best midfields ever assembled.

Bailey Smith was getting plenty of midfield time in one of the best midfields ever assembled.
Not saying he wasn't, but the difference was he was playing on the flank and the wing also. Mostly on the forward flank to start with though.

That's the issue Bytel will have. He's not a forward flanker or a winger so if he's not finding the footy in the middle there's not a lot else we can do with him.

(Also, one of the best midfield ever assembled? Come on man)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying he wasn't, but the difference was he was playing on the flank and the wing also. Mostly on the forward flank to start with though.

That's the issue Bytel will have. He's not a forward flanker or a winger so if he's not finding the footy in the middle there's not a lot else we can do with him.

(Also, one of the best midfield ever assembled? Come on man)
Definitely up there as a midfield IMO
IMO Bytel and the team will gain so much more from developing in the seniors like last week. I think he has already pushed Ross out to a wing or a flank
and of course if he has a major form slump or isn’t doing the 1% team things he goes back

Also think Bytel is going to learn a lot more from Steele and Crouch than running around for Sandy

Also think Bytel is going to learn a lot more from Steele and Crouch than running around for Sandy
You might be right but he still needs to earn a spot. If he goes back to getting 13 touches for the next two weeks I think he'd be better off in the VFL.

People were upset he went back last time but after having a week in the VFL he came back and played his best game for the club.

Was at a wake so could not watch the game live. Just a pop-up pinned on the phone showing the score. This gave me the false impression that we were playing badly for most of the game. My first chance to watch the game this morning.

While not great, our first two & a half qtrs where ok, if little disorganised and unlucky. The last one & half was great.

Was at a wake so could not watch the game live. Just a pop-up pinned on the phone showing the score. This gave me the false impression that we were playing badly for most of the game. My first chance to watch the game this morning.

While not great, our first two & a half qtrs where ok, if little disorganised and unlucky. The last one & half was great.
That's how I saw it too - I wouldn't say I was overly concerned by the first half even though we trailed by 28 points. I always expected to lose this - it was just frustrating that the limited chances West Coast had they were making the most of and we were squandering our chances. I expected them to get on top in the game eventually and using their efficiency run over the top of us but our pressure was just too much for them.

Are really comparing what they have done at the same period? Didn’t hurt jack steven not playing a lot or clark being dropped sometimes.also a higher pick usually gets more chances.
I have to agree , you can't gift games to players if we want to be playing finals and this goes with everyone. Bytel will have to fight for his spot like everyone else and so far he is doing a good job at it.
Bytel has the chance to cement his spot in the side with the injuries to Gresham , Hannerbery and Byrne.

Its a quality midfield but you can't compare it to the likes of Brisbane 2000's or WC 05 etc and that's just the last 20 years.

They run deep but the quality isn't the same.

I rate the Dogs, MacCrae is elite, Bont is elite, Bailey Smith is heading elite, Treloar is elite or close to it, Libba has been close to A grade, Hunter, Dunkley. Even Wallis used to be a mid of high caliber too. They bat insanely deep and with top quality top end. With Steph Martin and English feeding them it could be the best ever IMO. They have to win premierships before anyone will put them up there but it's hard to argue that they aren't up with the best ever assembled. West Coast and Brisbane probably had 2 elite each and some top quality along side them but doubt it was a strong except when Judd was there WCE had 3. Cousins, Kerr, Judd. Voss and Black.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back