Preview Round 4, 2021 vs Richmond @ Adelaide Oval 04/09/21

Need a big response from our midfield - both because of what happened at the weekend but also because of what happened in the prelim final where they were comprehensively beaten and cost us the game. If Prestia and Cotchin don't play then there's zero excuse for not having the upper hand in the middle.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I'm heading over for this one with a couple of mates. One of them is my Manc housemate who I converted from a guy who wouldn't watch footy to a Zak Butters superfan over the lock down last year and he hasn't actually been to a match yet so it should be a lot of fun. Anyway, I really need to secure tickets but I've only got one membership barcode which is only good for one. Need three all up.

Putting the call out: if anyone has a membership barcode or two I could use to get two more tickets for this match I'd be eternally grateful.

Kingfish73

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I lost significant confidence in our ability to be "consistent" given round 3. The first half was a complete belting. Most will be forgotten if we win this game but Richmond will be out to prove a point. Genuine 50 / 50 game on our home deck. Our last big blockbuster on a Friday night v upbeat Collingwood was another 1st quarter annihilation. Looking forward to see if we can show greater ferocity than tigers and how the players respond.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Need a big response from our midfield - both because of what happened at the weekend but also because of what happened in the prelim final where they were comprehensively beaten and cost us the game. If Prestia and Cotchin don't play then there's zero excuse for not having the upper hand in the middle.

I've lost confidence now after we served up that first 5min 'the game is lost already' crap on Sat night - see that far too often under Hinkley. Even if we do win it shows we have the ability to go missing too easily.

I'm heading over for this one with a couple of mates. One of them is my Manc housemate who I converted from a guy who wouldn't watch footy to a Zak Butters superfan over the lock down last year and he hasn't actually been to a match yet so it should be a lot of fun. Anyway, I really need to secure tickets but I've only got one membership barcode which is only good for one. Need three all up.

Putting the call out: if anyone has a membership barcode or two I could use to get two more tickets for this match I'd be eternally grateful.
I had two tickets as I can't make it! Wty ask so late!!! I'll double check the person I said I'd give them to doesnt want them.

Sent you a DM.

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
It's pretty early to tell with the new rules but given the lack of repeat entries and more score coming from the back half, I think some of our conversion and forward line efficiency problems might have subsided a bit.

Leaving the main problem being the propensity for our midfield to completely disappear at stoppages (mainly centre bounces) against quality mids.

Brisbane 2nd quarter 2020
St Kilda 4th quarter 2020
Richmond PF 4th quarter 2020
West Coast 1st half 2021

I don't think its realistic to expect midfield dominance all the time (without someone like a Bont) but we really need to find a mix that can stop the rot after a few CBs in a row. Drew at his tackling and pressure best can play a key role here.

Stoppage clearances are not such a big deal as if mids are down you have more strategic flexibility in moving players around (switch inside outside, bring up a high half forward etc.)

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's pretty early to tell with the new rules but given the lack of repeat entries and more score coming from the back half, I think some of our conversion and forward line efficiency problems might have subsided a bit.

Leaving the main problem being the propensity for our midfield to completely disappear at stoppages (mainly centre bounces) against quality mids.

Brisbane 2nd quarter 2020
St Kilda 4th quarter 2020
Richmond PF 4th quarter 2020
West Coast 1st half 2021

I don't think its realistic to expect midfield dominance all the time (without someone like a Bont) but we really need to find a mix that can stop the rot after a few CBs in a row. Drew at his tackling and pressure best can play a key role here.

Stoppage clearances are not such a big deal as if mids are down you have more strategic flexibility in moving players around (switch inside outside, bring up a high half forward etc.)
It’s not a matter of needing to dominate the whole time, the problem is going completely missing for large patches of the game. This isn’t new, it’s been a defining trait of this side for at least 7 years.

As we just find out (yet again) do that against quality opposition and its game over.

Should be a fiery first quarter and a scrap and an arm wrestle. Both teams got smashed in the first half over the long weekend, so they will both respond. Prestia out means their mids wont be as strong as normal. Can't see Nankervis giving the oppo mids silver service like Nick Nat did.

If we are any good, we bounce back and win this or maybe its another PF result. If we don't give a yelp, it will be another long winter under Hinkley.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Should be a great game however you blokes will be too strong for us on your home deck this week. Last 2 years we’ve lost 2 in a row in the first 4 rounds and I think this year will be no different.
Have a feeling we’ll be meeting you again in September however.

Port by 29

Missing Vlastuin for us is being massively undersold, he is a vital cog for us. Add Prestia and maybe Cotchin to that and we are rooted.

Port by 29

Missing Vlastuin for us is being massively undersold, he is a vital cog for us. Add Prestia and maybe Cotchin to that and we are rooted.

Yeah we're not falling for that.

Last time you had 43 blokes out and played us at Adelaide Oval you won quite comfortably.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port by 29

Most sides when opposition players are missing - Take advantage boys!
Port when opposition players are missing - Time for a Washington Generals (Port) vs Harlem Globetrotters game!

Yeah we're not falling for that.

Last time you had 43 blokes out and played us at Adelaide Oval you won quite comfortably.

It was similar last year H&A and we were lucky not to lose by 50

You won the clearances by a trillion, give or take

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We'll win this one , we'll get a response and win comfortably. Richmond have a few key outs and it's April , they don't give a s**t.

I'm more nervous about Carlton in Melbourne the following week.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hate being uncertain about my team's chances, but after the Perth car crash, it's difficult to have much confidence. We're on the national stage on Friday night, so we desperately need to put on a good show.
I have more confidence because of the Perth car crash. They were thinking about the
Richmond game at quarter time.

Back