Review Round 4, 2021 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Drew is great in terms of positioning and blocking etc but he was a bit slow mentally with ball in hand. He needs to get up to AFL speed.

If Champion Data had a stat for dropped marks over the past 5 years, Dixon would have a Joel Selwood Free Kick level dominance over the rest of the competition. Even last year where he was rightfully All Australian, he drops a LOT of marks that he gets his hands to.

Been on to some other boards reading about last night's game and it's largely very positive ie. great game great result, now allowing for anti tigers sentiment

are we too hard to please on here? If we are then I'm probably guilty at times of focusing on the negatives, maybe we expect too much at times.
I felt we looked much better while watching the replay on TV as opposed to watching it live in person at the AO. You miss a lot while sitting in the stands. Actually I really enjoyed watching this match on TV

I'm finally watching the game in full now (only caught the last quarter live) and I've got to say Richmond's third goal was a thing of beauty. Such a quick counter-attack
Yep. I was in awe the whole play. Unstoppable...

Gee he dropped a couple of easy marks..

hard work with the Richmond flood.

I was unimpressed with Dixon.

pulled out of contests, went one handed a lot of times. I just don’t believe he’s a natural forward.

for mine Mitch FF, Marshal CHF Dixon FP and Rick.

Ladhams also was too weak in the contest. He needs to find hardness.

I was unimpressed with Dixon.

pulled out of contests, went one handed a lot of times. I just don’t believe he’s a natural forward.

for mine Mitch FF, Marshal CHF Dixon FP and Rick.

Ladhams also was too weak in the contest. He needs to find hardness.

Got some tickets on yourself?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before we play Richmond next can we please do something about Nankervis. We had Ladhams and Lycett and he still was free in the middle all the time with free reign to go for marks. Pathetic effort tbh.

I reckon that's on Ladhams. Lycett was always in f50 or d50. Looked to be by instruction. Always got back to help to defend but it left Nankervis up the line when Richmond exited. Surely ladhams had that task but I'm unsure if ladhams was on at the same time Lycett was.
Nah, screw Nankervis! Let him have his time in the sun against us, rather him then a Martin, Bolt or Reiwoldt. If Nankervis doing well means negating the much better Richmond players then so be it

What a gutsy win. So many lead changes. Richmond are such a great side, fast ball movement & elite pressure. Was such an important win for the boys and well deserved. Game was scrappy but plenty of heroes when it counted. Hope the injuries are short term. Enjoyed Lachie's debut, will only get better as he adjusts to Afl pace. Aliir's kicking is elite, clever player. Think him & Jonas still working out how to play together. Loved some of Jonas's late spoiling, was out on this feet but led from the front. Thank you once again Robbie Gray, amazing stuff. Hopefully Robbie will become part of our recruitment team, Butters is already a star.

So... Willem Drew. What was his role in the first half? Outside of centre bounces, I noticed he always seemed to be away from the action, sometimes as much as the full width of the ground. I doubt he’s the kind of player to avoid the contest so I’m wondering if he had a role to drag a Richmond player with him to reduce congestion.

He certainly switched gears for the final quarter and given the number of injuries we were dealing with, I think it was in part due to him being given a different role for the quarter.
Interesting, would like to know the answer to that. His contributions in the last qtr were very important. Think he needs to get far more of it (& dispose of it quicker) but as you say maybe it was the role.

Brave effort from the boys with so many that seemed injured. Impressed with Rozee. I thought at one stage he was going to let the corkie get the better of him but the kids got heart. Allir has more strings to his bow that just an intercepter! Bloke is a freak. If he keeps playing like that we are going to be a strong side. Ollie would’ve been a gun full forward 30 years ago (besides the kicking side of things) his marking is severely underrated. Duursma is a footballers footballer. If SPP comes back we’re going to have some hard bastards running around. Jones will be his new bash brother! Butters and Robbie just clever
Good summary. Duursma was just the footballer we needed. Brave beyond, runs all day & fast. Think he will get better, its in his DNA.

That type of pressure game against top class opposition is always good for the youngsters, gives them almost finals like experience. Our young guys handled themselves very well last night
We match up pretty well against Richmond time and time again.
But there you go, they have 3 Premierships and we have zero 😡

I'm still giggling at Schulzenfest posting the midget Asian ninja Simpson's meme about dusty, and dusty kicking a very good goal 60 seconds later.

Hardwicks presser was fantastic, praising our fans, the stadium, and admitted he finds himself caught up in the NTUA stuff as he heads up to the box.

Tom Lynch aside, it's pretty difficult to dislike Richmond to be honest. And few absolute greats of the modern game have carried themselves on field in a more dignified, fair, and no nonsense manner than Dustin Martin. A lot of that would come back to the coach.

As someone who has worn contacts/glasses since the age of 14, I don’t underestimate them at all and agree that it’s difficult to see under lights with them.
Join the club. You know exactly where I'm coming from.

I had the old procedure done to remove cataracts in my early 30's and it was only afterwards that the you beaut, Mercedes driving surgeon, told me that I couldn't wear contacts again after he'd performed the operation. I would have put off the operation for a while longer if I had known that because even though wearing contacts was a real chore, I could still play sports but no contacts, and I was a danger to myself and others.

Tom Lynch aside, it's pretty difficult to dislike Richmond to be honest. And few absolute greats of the modern game have carried themselves on field in a more dignified, fair, and no nonsense manner than Dustin Martin. A lot of that would come back to the coach.
and Mark Williams actually who took Dustin into his family and helped him become a top human being; no more chip on the shoulder stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back