Review Round 4, 2021 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

So... Willem Drew. What was his role in the first half? Outside of centre bounces, I noticed he always seemed to be away from the action, sometimes as much as the full width of the ground.
I was watching on Tv so a bit hard to tell but I thought we moved him around the half forward flank and moved duursma into the midfield for this game?

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - if you haven't seen these before this is a summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces, with centre clearances thrown in.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Boak 24
Amon 20 (19w, 1i)
Wines 18
Duursma 18 wing
Houston 18 (6w)
Drew 16 (5w)
Butters 9
Gray 2
Mayes 2 wing
Fantasia 1 wing
Hartlett 1
Motlop 1 wing

Lycett 21
Ladhams 4
Dixon 1

Centre Clearances

Wines 5
Boak 4
Houston 2
Drew 1
Lycett 1
Duursma 1

Breakdown by Quarter - Q1

Boak 7
Amon 7 wing
Wines 7
Duursma 5 wing
Houston 5 (3i, 2w)
Butters 4
Drew 4 (1w)
Fantasia 1 wing

Q2

Boak 6
Amon 5 wing
Wines 4
Duursma 4 wing
Houston 4 (1w)
Drew 4 (2i, 2w)
Butters 3

Q3

Boak 6
Wines 4
Amon 4 (3w, 1i)
Duursma 4 wing
Drew 4 (2i, 2w)
Houston 3 wing
Butters 2
Gray 2
Hartlett 1

Q4

Houston 6
Boak 5
Duursma 5 wing
Amon 4 wing
Drew 4
Wines 3
Mayes 2 wing
Motlop 1 wing

Who'd have thought Richmond supporters would be such sooks on the main board.

After the mixed emotions of last night, I'm loving this win

some of the s**t is unbelievable.

several of them claiming the edwards tackle was fine and that duursma was in possession

I broke the footage down in my reply.

Here is X in the action of kicking the ball. The pick dot on the right edge of screen is edwards hand. He isn’t even in the immediate area here.
31644512-343B-4001-AB2F-FA0EEEC40781.jpeg

View attachment 1098930

Here is edwards tackling X. Duursma clearly is not in possession of the ball. This is just the beginning of the tackle C3EA9C51-487C-4778-8BD4-679F3754C3C0.jpeg
View attachment 1098932

Here is edwards following through with the tackle well after X has disposed of it. He could have let go here but made a decision to follow through. 4A1C8B36-FF8A-4256-8EFF-0A7A1F51A987.jpeg

View attachment 1098935
here is where the tackle finished. Edwards has followed through and brought X down resulting in him leaving the ground injured. Note that duursma has been slung from one side of edwards to the other in the second part of this tackle. AF8A54BA-8F02-484D-8915-2D07566B3969.jpeg View attachment 1098938
The whole thing happened incredibly quickly. You could argue that edwards might not have had time to pull up after duursma got rid of the ball, but that doesn’t explain why edwards followed through with the tackle, especially when he had the opportunity before he brought X around his body and to the ground. The real problem here is that edwards was not only late, but he had the option to end the tackle halfway through but instead follows through. This is the action that resulted in duursmas injury.

Duurs was not in possession. It was a late and reckless tackle that injured one of the best players on the ground at a key time in the game.

Last edited:
Tom Lynch aside, it's pretty difficult to dislike Richmond to be honest. And few absolute greats of the modern game have carried themselves on field in a more dignified, fair, and no nonsense manner than Dustin Martin. A lot of that would come back to the coach.
Except that time where Dustin you know? Threatened a Waitress with chop sticks! But I guess that was off field

Except that time where Dustin you know? Threatened a Waitress with chop sticks! But I guess that was off field

That was 6 years ago when he was still a young idiot with unrealised potential. This isn’t excusing the incident but since then he hasn’t really put a foot wrong and has won 4 x AA’s, 3 flags, 3 Normies and a Brownlow all in an unassuming manner.

Imagine if President figjam of the players association had a CV like that? You’d be able to wipe the smirk off his face from Moggs Creek in Adelaide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you not see the 2nd (and 3rd) quarter? Yes I'm livid

If we put them to the sword then as they should you wouldnt need to scrape the youth and beauty brigade off the turf by game's end

Not many sides put another top 4 side away, especially not the reigning premiers. Richmond, like Geelong and Hawthorn of yesteryear, find a way to stay in games to the end. Part of what makes them so successful. It’s also kind of what we did to Geelong in the final last year.

You kind of just have to enjoy the win. Yeah it would be real nice to pump each side and play to our potential every game and win the GF by 100. That ain’t the reality of the AFL.

We are coming off a shortened preseason. Game style and rules tinkered with. The narrow Adelaide oval helps the tigers set up. The tigers were clearly fired up. Despite that we smashed them across the board and showed that our list and gameplan stack up. And we were clutch when it mattered. Enjoy the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like they had to many easy goals out the back..

Always by a scramble kick out of defence to the pocket/wing where they had a spare who just put the jets on and started an uncontested chain to the other end.

I haven't read the whole thread but:

*Dylan Grimes is Conner Rozee's bitch
*Dylan Grimes deliberate rushed behind from nearly the allowed distance was far more questionable than Robbie's

Good interview with Bassett from about 5 minutes in. He gets asked good questions and gives insightful and elaborate answers, including on Gray’s kicking for goal, Ladham’s and Dixon’s form issues and the prospects of Mead and Williams for AFL selection.

I thought we might have been too pumped up last night and had a bit of a collective rush of blood which contributed to the spraying of the shots at goal and the injuries from trying that little bit too much and leaving their bodies vulnerable to awkward falls .
Just need to temper a fraction .
Im happy though we were a bit rusty , gave the ball back too much and played with a handful of players banged up yet still managed to hang on for a win against a very good side .
Well done Ports

Grog can turn the gentlest of the gentlest into the most horrible, violent people imaginable. He has grown up since then I reckon. I was one of those that was horrified by that incident but it seems that he's come good. Credit to him.

Mods please move this to appropriate place if needed as I wasn't sure where to post this.

I'm looking for advice. I'm sitting in my normal seats again this year with my parents. However the surrounding people are new. Some of the things being yelled out by those around us last night were absolutely disgraceful. There were more F words than I could begin to explain, abuse at our own players, but this paled in comparison to some of the other things said which included inflammatory remarks relating to race and somehow relating the fruchoc promotions to child rape.

Ordinarily a word to security would be had but the 4 of us are literally surrounded by about 10 people who know each other so it'd be blatantly obvious who's complained if security approached them. They were all heavily intoxicated and I'm sure would not have taken kindly to being dobbed in.

What I'm after is some advice and or guidance as to what I should do about the situation. The easy option would be to request a move but that's not really good enough in my opinion. Again mods please move or delete if need be and contact privately.

Cheers

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Good interview with Bassett from about 5 minutes in. He gets asked good questions and gives insightful and elaborate answers, including on Gray’s kicking for goal, Ladham’s and Dixon’s form issues and the prospects of Mead and Williams for AFL selection.
It was a good interview. Bassett is an articulate, intelligent person who we need to hang onto no matter what. He is our next coach for mine.

Mods please move this to appropriate place if needed as I wasn't sure where to post this.

I'm looking for advice. I'm sitting in my normal seats again this year with my parents. However the surrounding people are new. Some of the things being yelled out by those around us last night were absolutely disgraceful. There were more F words than I could begin to explain, abuse at our own players, but this paled in comparison to some of the other things said which included inflammatory remarks relating to race and somehow relating the fruchoc promotions to child rape.

Ordinarily a word to security would be had but the 4 of us are literally surrounded by about 10 people who know each other so it'd be blatantly obvious who's complained if security approached them. They were all heavily intoxicated and I'm sure would not have taken kindly to being dobbed in.

What I'm after is some advice and or guidance as to what I should do about the situation. The easy option would be to request a move but that's not really good enough in my opinion. Again mods please move or delete if need be and contact privately.

Cheers

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
Good onya for calling it out. I don't know what you can do except to move or have a word to the club which is what I'd be doing in the first instance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back