Review Round 4, 2021 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

so is it him or hinkley our forward work is dog sh*t ?
He’s certainly not denying it’s got some issues. I liked that he recognised that we are lacking toughness/desperation up forward without SPP and Ebert this year, even if we look more skilful. There’s no doubt we are not applying enough pressure in our forward 50 to at least halve contests and hold up the outlet kicks.

so is it him or hinkley our forward work is dog sh*t ?
It wasn't in the first few weeks. The other thing is that no matter how well "coached" players are, sometimes their form is sh*t house and that can't be laid at the feet of a coach, surely? His remark about lacking a Powell-Pepper type in the forward lines is spot on I reckon and that's why I think that 4 talls is not the go but I also don't want to forgo a ruckman to bring it back to three talls. It's a dilemma that regardless what the selections are, is going to cause consternation amongst some and not with others.

He’s certainly not denying it’s got some issues. I liked that he recognised that we are lacking toughness/desperation up forward without SPP and Ebert this year, even if we look more skilful. There’s no doubt we are not applying enough pressure in our forward 50 to at least halve contests and hold up the outlet kicks.
That was really obvious against West Coast although we hardly had anyone "at the races" that day so to speak.

Mods please move this to appropriate place if needed as I wasn't sure where to post this.

I'm looking for advice. I'm sitting in my normal seats again this year with my parents. However the surrounding people are new. Some of the things being yelled out by those around us last night were absolutely disgraceful. There were more F words than I could begin to explain, abuse at our own players, but this paled in comparison to some of the other things said which included inflammatory remarks relating to race and somehow relating the fruchoc promotions to child rape.

Ordinarily a word to security would be had but the 4 of us are literally surrounded by about 10 people who know each other so it'd be blatantly obvious who's complained if security approached them. They were all heavily intoxicated and I'm sure would not have taken kindly to being dobbed in.

What I'm after is some advice and or guidance as to what I should do about the situation. The easy option would be to request a move but that's not really good enough in my opinion. Again mods please move or delete if need be and contact privately.

Cheers

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk
Tell the club what you’ve just told us.

Cheers guys. Telling the club was what I thought should be done, just wanted a second opinion to confirm.

A game that made you proud to be a Port supporter. Great win.

That had all the hall marks of your typical depressing 2 point What Happen Power? loss. Yet we won. Happy days!

Thought Clurey had a bit of a stinker. Jonas as well was pretty average. Dixon did nothing, very disappointing. Ladhams didnt really do anything to justify being a late in. Hartletts first half was abysmal. Drew was barely sighted for 3 quarters. Fantasia and Rozee hobbling around for half the game. But...

Motlop is having some sort of year. It's great to see him having a consistent impact out there. Allir Allir was really good, especially his second half, he just didn't lose a contest. Lycett I thought had a good come back from last weeks poor game. Duursma's last quarter was inspiring. Boaks second quarter equally as inspiring. Butters was a star again. Robbie had some great play when it mattered. Burton was super consistent.

Will enjoy watching the replay of this one!
Wondering if you changed your opinion on Dixon after watching the replay. I was at the game on Friday night and thought he must have been injured but after watching the replay I realised there was a lot I missed. He had some huge involvements. He had 2 on him most of the night.

Wondering if you changed your opinion on Dixon after watching the replay. I was at the game on Friday night and thought he must have been injured but after watching the replay I realised there was a lot I missed. He had some huge involvements. He had 2 on him most of the night.
If anyone of our players, whether they were having good or bad games, did not go hard for every second of the game, we would have lost. It's a collective effort winning a game of that intensity.

Agreed! Get rid of the deliberate rushed behind rule all together like it was before 2010 (can’t remember exactly when the rule came in)
Nah the rule is needed. They brought introduced it after 2008, most people think it was because of the way that Hawthorn rushed behinds in the Grand Final but its actually because of Joel Bowden doing this.

Nah the rule is needed. They brought introduced it after 2008, most people think it was because of the way that Hawthorn rushed behinds in the Grand Final but its actually because of Joel Bowden doing this.

That's hilarious, did it really take that long for a player to take advantage of this? Did anything similar to that happen before Joel Bowden did it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mods please move this to appropriate place if needed as I wasn't sure where to post this.

I'm looking for advice. I'm sitting in my normal seats again this year with my parents. However the surrounding people are new. Some of the things being yelled out by those around us last night were absolutely disgraceful. There were more F words than I could begin to explain, abuse at our own players, but this paled in comparison to some of the other things said which included inflammatory remarks relating to race and somehow relating the fruchoc promotions to child rape.

Ordinarily a word to security would be had but the 4 of us are literally surrounded by about 10 people who know each other so it'd be blatantly obvious who's complained if security approached them. They were all heavily intoxicated and I'm sure would not have taken kindly to being dobbed in.

What I'm after is some advice and or guidance as to what I should do about the situation. The easy option would be to request a move but that's not really good enough in my opinion. Again mods please move or delete if need be and contact privately.

Cheers

I had a not too dissimilar situation when I wandered across to the outer wing at Alberton oval some seasons back.
I usually watch games from the member's wing or stand, where barrackers are often passionate but relatively normal with their comments, so I was completely unprepared for a group of young 20 something blokes standing near the Dad's Army bar.

There were about 5 of them wearing Maggie lace ups, and the foul language was non stop with every second word beginning with F or C, and/or relating to a player's parentage.
It wasn't only the oppo that were copping it, John Butcher was playing for the Maggies that day and when he missed a set shot at the bowling green end the abuse he received from the group had to be heard to be believed.

I was embarrassed that these people were Port supporters, and put up with them for about 5 minutes before returning to my seat in the member's stand, but unfortunately in an AFL game you don't have that option, but if those near you were as bad as you suggest you need to consider advising the club.

I would love to see this kid debut. He was getting offers off other clubs (Like GWS) last year IIRC.

Sam Hayes has twelve months left on his contract after this season but as we saw with Chad Wingard that does not seem to matter these days.

Sam was best for the Port Magpies again yesterday so he must be close. If Sam was a 19 year old displaying average form in the SANFL I would say wait but he is now 22 and playing well in the SANFL so he deserves a crack at it.

He could not do any worse than Peter Ladhams atm. Ladhams had 5 hit outs and took just one mark on Friday night. I have to say I have been disappointed in big Pete's lack of progress. Two years ago Ladhams looked to be a good player in the making but his career has stalled big time.

Now that the AFL have banned Lace Out from putting up 12-14 minute videos of each half of a game up on his YouTube channel, the AFL has now produced this 14 minute match highlights package which is about double their normal effort but not as good as Lace Out's efforts.

If you want to just watch Port's stuff here are the club video's

I'm getting 2015 type vibes at the moment. We started that season with a very tough opening 5 rounds and got through it unscathed to sit 3-2.

After that the team relaxed and we got ambushed by Brisbane at the Gabba. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a couple of games we're expecting to win from our next 4.

I'm getting 2015 type vibes at the moment. We started that season with a very tough opening 5 rounds and got through it unscathed to sit 3-2.

After that the team relaxed and we got ambushed by Brisbane at the Gabba. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a couple of games we're expecting to win from our next 4.

Not at all imo. In 2015 even though we didn't win the flag, the entire off-season talk surrounding the competition was "how is any team going to be able to beat Port?" Ryder was the proverbial "missing piece."

Stylistically we are completely different in 2021 to how we fronted up in 2015. Back then we slowed the game down much more.

Even though we sat 3-2 after 5, the warning signs were there. Out ran vs Freo in round 1 on a Sunday night in Perth despite that being our so called "calling card" in 4th quarters. This meant that the players had to fly back on Monday, and with the time differences they didn't get home until Monday night - all the while having to prepare for a Saturday night game vs Sydney who played on Saturday arvo - a full 28 hours before us. Was blatantly clear 10 minutes into the Sydney game that the players had zero legs in them. At the same time, the way we just let them bash Boak in that game was disgraceful and an omen of what was to come. Round 3 vs North Melbourne was a slugfest again on the fastest deck that is Etihad (now Marvel) Stadium. Round 4 vs Hawthorn we were cooked after 3 quarters - how we got over the line in that game was somewhat a miracle. Against West Lakes the week after we had no right to win that game. They dominated every facet of the game but out backline had a Jeremy McGovern type game about them and intercepted everything coming into the forward 50.

This season despite having a similar time frame to prepare coming of the West Coast loss in Perth, we were able to get up against the reigning premier despite all the injuries our side went through during that game. This team is far more resilient and tough than the 2015 side ever was.

This season is going to be quite unpredictable at least early on due to a few factors. Specifically, going back to 20 minute quarters, the stand the mark interpretation and the interchange reduction to 75 rotations/game - combined with a significantly limited pre-season (the Grand Final was a month later at the end of October and this year's round 1 started as per normal time each year) has resulted in the last 10-15 minutes of the final quarter of pretty much each game to be where players are running on empty.

This has resulted in a number of upsets and Jekyll and Hyde performances on a week to week basis. Take for instance Essendon getting smacked by us and then smacking St. Kilda a week later, of which the Saints played West Coast this week and smashed them after the Eagles smashed us in Perth just after we had smashed Essendon.

The cyclical nature of this season to date means you really just need to rack up wins early in the season more so than in seasons prior.

That was a gutsy win. Pleasantly surprised to see them fight that out like that and get the win when it looked like we were gone halfway through the 3rd and again late in the last quarter.

But unfortunately it’s come at a huge cost. I’m extremely thankful we got the win to soften the injury devastation.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cheers

I’m sorry you had to endure such. My upmost recommendation is to leave the situation and stand or sit somewhere else if possible. You can report anti-social behaviour or try to explain to the individuals why their behaviour is a problem, but it may not achieve very much.

💜

Remove this Banner Ad

Back