Review Round 4, 2021 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Why all the talk about the tackles? I really feel that nothing wrong was done besides the late tackle(and only just late), there was no malice here. If our players tackled like that and were cited we would riot. Lets move on.

And regarding Robbie being BOG, he was good but Wines and Boak were better over the full duration of the game. This is just my opinion of course, feel free to argue the point.

I can't recall his name as it was a long time ago ( I don't think it was Kip Keino), but I remember being in absolute awe of an African marathon runner doing push ups while he was waiting for the 2nd bloke to cross the line.
I don't know who it was that performed push ups waiting for the fella who was second to cross the line but Abebe Bikila, the Ethiopian Marathon runner, won the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Marathon and whilst he was waiting for the second placegetter, some 4 minutes and 8 seconds behind, he did his callisthenics in the stadium.

i was pretty filthy on Amon when we conceded that goal down the southern end when aliir was going back with the flight and amon decided to go up and it caused a spillage where there were three richmond players at the drop of it and we had no one in sight.
The lad made up for it right at the death when he dived full length to smother and the ball in their goalsquare and and quick thinking R. Gray handballed the crumbs through for a point. We do have some improvements to make though hey?

Dusty fend off on Jones was high FYI
Well, that's really hard to argue with because the laws of the games say that you can't push your hand into the face of an opponent. You are allowed to fend off but NOT by pushing/fending off in the face of an opponent. I remember thinking the same thing myself watching the game: "that's a free ump!!!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course. Glad I'm not the only one that has noticed that. Straight arm fist into the face or throat, play on, legend!
Yeah exactly. It is happening quite a bit though with players getting away with those things yet Aliir and Cluery got pinched for beautiful spoils!

Question, can anyone recall a single Port game where we kicked inaccurately for goal and won?

Usually it’s the other way around with us.

If we never won games where we kicked inaccurately we would've won about 5 games this decade.

And apologies to Northalives, somehow my comment " Photo says it all. High contact every day of the week" looks like his quote. No wonder I've posted so few comments. I have no idea.
What do you mean apologies? I understood everything you were saying. You have plenty idea unlike me who has very limited idea of how these computer thingies work. I leave mine on at home all the time 'cause if I switch it off, I'm worried I won't be able to switch it back on!

Last edited:
Question, can anyone recall a single Port game where we kicked inaccurately for goal and won?

Usually it’s the other way around with us.
We are usually inaccurate. There should be plenty of examples.

In 2018, we were less accurate than the opposition 11 times and won 7 games.

In 2019, 14 times; 6 wins.

I don’t have the data for 2020.

I put up the stats in the tribunal thread last week of the table showing the most number of games lost to suspension, and its no fluke that Richmond and Hawthorn are 2nd and 3rd and the other 2 in the top 4 are Geelong first and WCE 4th, all flag winners since 2010 season ended.
I believe that table is actually a bit misleading in regards to Richmond. Yeah they're right up the top, but they actually have a record of getting away with the little dirty hits, not getting picked up.
The reason Richmond sit at the top of the list is Sydney Stack and Callum Coleman-Jones were suspended for a combined total of 20 games for their COVID-19 protocol breach.

I can't believe we are still seeing talk about the deliberate rushed behind rule because of Robbie's (clever and perfectly within the rules by the way) play on last Friday. If the teams were swapped and it was Cotchin rushing a behind to save Richmond the win you ******* bet the media would be plauding him for making the most of the rules and 'playing smarter' than the other players. Only when it benefits Port and negatively impacts a Victorian team does it get the headline treatment. Amateur league crap it is.

Why all the talk about the tackles? I really feel that nothing wrong was done besides the late tackle(and only just late), there was no malice here. If our players tackled like that and were cited we would riot. Lets move on.

And regarding Robbie being BOG, he was good but Wines and Boak were better over the full duration of the game. This is just my opinion of course, feel free to argue the point.

literally no poster here has said it deserves a suspension

they’ve just pointed out the fact it was late and reckless, and pointed out the fact that if duursma had been concussed that it would have gotten games, which is just to highlight the afls weird priorities.

the fact it was just 1 of half a dozen overly aggressive acts by Richmond in this one game is what has people riled up.

I can't believe we are still seeing talk about the deliberate rushed behind rule because of Robbie's (clever and perfectly within the rules by the way) play on last Friday. If the teams were swapped and it was Cotchin rushing a behind to save Richmond the win you ******* bet the media would be plauding him for making the most of the rules and 'playing smarter' than the other players. Only when it benefits Port and negatively impacts a Victorian team does it get the headline treatment. Amateur league crap it is.

Didn’t a Richmond player do the exact same thing earlier in the game?

Give credit where it’s due, Jono Brown said exactly that about Robbie in the wrap up after the game. Said it was an experienced player knowing the rules and being smart and clear thinking enough to do it. He was full of praise for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back