Review Round 4, 2021 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The bloke is not leading. It’s the only resort. He is not unique though.
At the pies game last week.
Joe lead and a lot of times the ball was kicked in the wrong direction.
Not sure our mids worked out his leading patterns.

Ah Chee has been given more chances than he has earned and has shown bugger all. I would be giving someone else a chance rather than persist with a guy who has never shown he is consistently up to standard. Try Ely or Coleman on a wing. Cockatoo would be worth bringing in early.
I agree Ah Chee not shown a lot of HB.. Had one good game and few ok. Hence maybe wing up the ground.
Although your right like CEY do we keep giving another go
I was hoping Cockatoo be ready for round 1. Although lots of cats supporters where hoping the last few years as well he get fit

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have lost a bit with big O playing primary ruck in terms of that clutch contested mark or 2 a game in the forward line.

He was primary ruck for most of last year. While it would be nice for him to be up forward a bit more it is more of a minor issue.

Adams was ok in patches, well beaten in others. Harris just looked lost in the first half positioning wise and the dogs did a great job blocking him out of the contest.

Generally the biggest issue the last 3 weeks has been our inability to pressure, win the footy and then spread. We’ve been badly out worked every week.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Look at the tackling stats of the Dogs mids compared to ours, Mitch Robinson excepted.

pauldrc

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2020 Dream Team Club Board Winner Brisbane Lions - Charlie Cameron Player Sponsor 2019 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2018 Brisbane Lions - Hugh McCluggage Player Sponsor 2017 Brisbane Lions - Allen Christensen Player Sponsor 2016 Brisbane Lions - Dayne Beams Player Sponsor 2015 Brisbane Lions - Pearce Hanley Player Sponsor 2014 Brisbane Lions - 2013 Elliot Yeo Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - 2013 Daniel Rich Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Brisbane 2010 Player Sponsor
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GC Suns
Think many of have underestimated the impact and work that Rayner and McStay have provided in the past.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Don't think it's a massive step from where we are to where we want to be, game plan wise. I think we are hesitating a little bit when we take possession, when you watch the in-form teams there is almost no hesitation, instant moving the ball. In that few seconds that we wait, the gaps are plugged. That may be simplifying it a bit but that's what I've noticed.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't think it's a massive step from where we are to where we want to be, game plan wise. I think we are hesitating a little bit when we take possession, when you watch the in-form teams there is almost no hesitation, instant moving the ball. In that few seconds that we wait, the gaps are plugged. That may be simplifying it a bit but that's what I've noticed.
the times we gone quickly by foot been the best. We worry about pulling the trigger.
I do think we zone more then spread and end up bombing it.
At the pies match I was surprised how little movement up the ground for the kicker

It’s a shame we didn’t win the Geelong game. I’d say most would be happy with 2-2 in the circumstances. I would think we have also had one of the harder draws so far.

It’s hard to reconcile where we are at. The periods where we play with great pressure and effort we look great, just doesn’t happen often enough.

Maybe a mix of form and game plan. But I don’t think things are as dire yet as some are making out.

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The way I’m looking at it is we can’t play much worse. Loses to the only two undefeated, in form teams and a loss to the cats which should have gone in our favour. I agree with the poster above, we need our confidence back for the speedy ball movement and the wins will come. Ups and downs peeps... ups and downs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 11, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
After a few rounds what are everyone’s thoughts regarding the slow intercept defender with the new rules? Players such as Harris, McGovern have relied on smarts, anticipation and slower ball movement to get their positioning right to impact contests.

Its appears so far the new rule changes have increased the speed the ball enters the defensive area and severely limited players of that ilk to control the area.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
After a few rounds what are everyone’s thoughts regarding the slow intercept defender with the new rules? Players such as Harris, McGovern have relied on smarts, anticipation and slower ball movement to get their positioning right to impact contests.

Its appears so far the new rule changes have increased the speed the ball enters the defensive area and severely limited players of that ilk to control the area.
you notice forwards leading up and getting hit up a lot more. I like the fast ball movement personally.
Even if we not adjusted as yet
I do agree might not take much to tinker.. move some people around a little

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I don’t think the ball movement in our last 3 games have been all that fast and Andrews intercepted a few in the second half today.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
Well mcstay sounds like a huge in , but we need Lochie back in form ASAP and if we have to rest him then so be it

we are carrying too many big heads right now and time is ticking , sooking and lazy players need a kick in the arse

we need hunger and we need it now

Last edited:
May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Midfield should be assigned tackling practice all week.
Ar well, same problem different year different coaches, don't really know when these blokes will stop running at the opposition so hard , only for the opposition to take an easy step inside or outside only our highly skilled players look like floating logs going down a river with no control of changing direction.
pathetic coaching imo.
How hard is it, mindless chooks or maybe I'm been hard because I come from a league background,
Not quite sure we are progressing on our game full stop.
Great game by Hippy is what keeps me positive.

I don’t think having someone like Rayner or Mcstay makes any difference. The way we play just isn’t good footy and we won’t beat many top 8 sides if we keep this up for the next month and if that’s the case then it’s pretty close to season over.

Linc and Charlie can’t get near the footy and there are plenty of others that are having minimal impact. Our midfield looks like they are learning to play together for the first time. First time our team has been really challenged since the consecutive final losses in 2019 and if we don’t respond next week...

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you look at the contributions from our M/F overall today it was a miracle we were able to get so close.

Not only in terms of output but they were so much cleaner and able to get the ball to a spare outside relatively easily on many occasions.

Sure the backline could be a bit quicker but our backline would be fine if we could at least break square and get more clean possessions in the M/F.

That's our major issue.

Back