Review Round 4, 2021 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I felt that was far more to do with our delivery inside 50 than excellent defending/positioning (i.e. our forwards were playing in front but then kicking it over their heads to the defenders behind them).
Yep and then when we were playng into the wind, our forwards were playing behind and the ball was falling short.
Either way they were getting out marked.

lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
To be fair I penciled in a L for the Geelong and bulldogs games at the start of the year. I had W on swans and Collingwood. Was expecting us to be at 2-2. Swans just shocked us I believe players and supporters. Geelong we were robbed so could have been 2-2 still. Let’s see what happens the next 6 weeks. Then I will judge

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Caleb Daniel been charged for tackling T Berry

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seems a bit rough. TBerry went pretty limp similar to the Selwood tackle

SonnyBoy1

Senior List
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Andrews and Birchall were massive liabilities in the first half and it probably took us out of the game. Zorko also needs to start acting and playing like a captain, Lyons does a better job than him.

We have completely lost any mojo and ability to create clean attacking opportunities.

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have always felt our game plan had relied alot on being able to, at least as a last resort control field position by moving the ball wide, getting a stoppage and with our clearance dominance get the ball forward where we can lock it in.

With Neale not playing well, our clearance dominance has fallen away, combined with the bigger kicking out rules essentially forcing a neutral stoppage on the wing after a behind, we just havent been able to get any repeat entries and hold the ball up forward like we did.

In addition the ability to easily chip marks around the Half back line has made our small forward pressure non existent.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Daniher has freed him up to play to his strengths.
I agree although end of last year I think Hipwood started to believe in himself more up the ground.
Hence was hoping our forward 50 be more dangerous this year with Joe and Charlie. McStay and Hippy.
McStay been injured.. Charlie seems lost
so been the Joe and Eric show only.. One of them or more on the wing.
No one back to mark in forward 50

Watched the replay, and thought a few days later might be a more appropriate time to comment on umpiring... Gee the standard is abysmal this year. Multiple goals, particularly for the bulldogs, in this game as a result of bad calls. I hope it's home-team bias, but honestly looking at other games I think it's more Vic bias. Some really questionable calls in the dogs game.

For clarity, this is not an excuse for losing - the dogs deserved the win, we didn't. They were better than us in most aspects. This is not a Geelong scenario, where the umpiring necessarily affected the outcome.

This is also not just looking at free kick numbers- they won the ball and the tackle count, and we were pretty undisciplined. Free kick numbers alone don't tell the story.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Frees were 23-10 to three quarter time. We did not get a 50-50 call all day and what was getting called for the Bulldogs was being let go when they were infringing.

The Bulldogs deserved to win but the umpires sure made it a lot harder for the Lions to compete. They were certainly a factor in the game which is not the way it should be.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Frees were 23-10 to three quarter time. We did not get a 50-50 call all day and what was getting called for the Bulldogs was being let go when they were infringing.

The Bulldogs deserved to win but the umpires sure made it a lot harder for the Lions to compete. They were certainly a factor in the game which is not the way it should be.
The ridiculous free against Darcy for "deliberate out of bounds" early in the first that resulted in a goal to the Dogs sort of set the tone for the rub of the green in the game.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The ridiculous free against Darcy for "deliberate out of bounds" early in the first that resulted in a goal to the Dogs sort of set the tone for the rub of the green in the game.

That was an atrocious free kick. He basically picked the ball up got tackled tried to handball it so he wouldn't get done for holding the ball and they paid deliberate ! Even the Bulldogs supporters were giggling at the ground.

Don't forget the Bulldog party trick - handball over their head that's not even close to a handball - they make the motion as if they are hand balling but they often throw it. Get away with 2/3 every round.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That was an atrocious free kick. He basically picked the ball up got tackled tried to handball it so he wouldn't get done for holding the ball and they paid deliberate ! Even the Bulldogs supporters were giggling at the ground.

Don't forget the Bulldog party trick - handball over their head that's not even close to a handball - they make the motion as if they are hand balling but they often throw it. Get away with 2/3 every round.
I agree they got the rub of the green. Did not effect the result
Nor their throws which out of 154 handballs for the games you say 20% suss.

Honestly how we played a lot of the game, the scoreboard showed we where a better team than reality.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I agree they got the rub of the green. Did not effect the result
Nor their throws which out of 154 handballs for the games you say 20% suss.

Honestly how we played a lot of the game, the scoreboard showed we where a better team than reality.

*BUMP*

Six rounds on, they are still very much the high flyers but we have clawed our way back in a workmanlike fashion to sit pretty comfortably in the top four.
The dogs beat us by 19, Port by the same margin, lost to Richmond after a big second half from the Tigers and have pretty much smashed everyone else

When we met them in Ballarat in Round 4, we were playing our third away game in a row (because of covid restrictions) and were coming off two highly emotionally charged one point results (for 1-1) against Geelong and Collingwood.

We played horribly in the first quarter when we had a stiff breeze in our favour but just about broke even for the rest of the match.

We won't play against them again this season unless it's in a final.

I hope we do get them in a final because I firmly believe we have a consistent game style that could break down their flashy handball orientated game plan that looks fantastic but may well break down under the pressure of a Final

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
*BUMP*

Six rounds on, they are still very much the high flyers but we have clawed our way back in a workmanlike fashion to sit pretty comfortably in the top four.
The dogs beat us by 19, Port by the same margin, lost to Richmond after a big second half from the Tigers and have pretty much smashed everyone else

When we met them in Ballarat in Round 4, we were playing our third away game in a row (because of covid restrictions) and were coming off two highly emotionally charged one point results (for 1-1) against Geelong and Collingwood.

We played horribly in the first quarter when we had a stiff breeze in our favour but just about broke even for the rest of the match.

I hope we do get them in a final because I firmly believe we have a consistent game style that could break down their flashy handball orientated game plan that looks fantastic but may well break down under the pressure of a Final
Not a final at Marvel though. Play it at the G or hopefully we overtake them and we play at home. On one of the Foxtel footy shows there was a stat (can’t remember) and the dogs were number 1 in both and they said at this time of the year which team has been leading those 2 stats have at least gone on to play in GF.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
*BUMP*

Keep in mind we also played potentially our worst game of football since Fagen was appointed coach, we gifted them 30 free kicks due to our poor attitude and discipline on the day, our worst effort from our midfield, Charlie giving up and jogging at a critical point of the game where he could of won the ball at center half forward, kicked a goal and arguably could of completely change the momentum of the game and both times we've played at Mars Stadium have both been some of our worst away performances in years. Under any other circumstances I believe we are a better team and match up well with them.

Back