AFLW Round 4 2022 - vs Adelaide, Norwood Oval, Saturday 29 January

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adelaide v Melbourne at Norwood Oval, 2.40pm ACDT
Delayed thread as I've been busy with work this week, but a huge clash this weekend v the Crows in Adelaide. Pretty much full strength with Mithen and Gay back in. Will be keen to see how our short-kicking, possessive style goes vs a top team.

Haven't seen much of Adelaide this year, but they've easily dealt with Brisbane and North so far so must be in some form.

ADELAIDE

B:
N.Gore 7 M.Rajcic 32
HB: L.Whiteley 22 S.Allan 39 N.Allen 8
C: A.Considine 16 A.Hatchard 33 E.Jones 2
HF: E.Phillips 13 C.Randall - C 26 T.Charlton 25
F: A.Woodland 24 C.Biddell 12
Foll: C.Gould 1 E.Marinoff 10 R.Martin 5
I/C: M.McKinnon 21 J.Simmons 11 M.Newman 17 H.Button 6 A.Ballard 27

Emerg: J.Hewett 19 B.Tonon 28

In: L.Whiteley, C.Randall, C.Gould, M.Newman
Out: J.Hewett (Omitted), S.Thompson (HS Protocol), D.Ponter (HS Protocol), J.Mules (HS Protocol)

MELBOURNE

B:
L.Birch 9 G.Colvin 32
HB: S.Heath 30 S.Lampard 8 S.Goldrick 23
C: E.McNamara 22 T.Hanks 5 C.Sherriff 18
HF: T.Harris 7 K.Hore 10 L.Mithen 14
F: D.Pearce - C 6 J.Parry 19
Foll: L.Pearce 15 E.Zanker 29 K.Paxman 4
I/C: M.Fitzsimon 24 M.Gay 3 E.West 11 A.Bannan 16 S.Scott 12

Emerg: A.Brown 28 M.Caris 21

In: L.Mithen, M.Gay
Out: B.Tarrant (Omitted), M.Caris (Omitted)

Dr Truth

Senior List
Jul 12, 2010
Dederang
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also, congrats to Fitzy on getting a round 3 Rising Star nom!

She's looked good this year and appears to be developing well. Understated, but reliable.
Absolutely understated, very good with her tackling and one of the better kicks. Great kid too. Melbourne City's loss

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Very jittery in defence so far.
They're trying to out physical us, and bring plenty of relentless pressure. doing to us as we do to others with the pressure, but the crows are bringing more physical aggression.

We have to counter with the same on them, and hurt them with bumps. Bring the heat Demons.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nah, it's not that at all. I think we've been ok this season, but I haven't seen two better sides than Crows and Dockers. If we keep it close we've done an amazing job today..
Today is a good example of our hand-balling ability, compared to the crows hand-balling. They can do it with aplomb, hitting the ball hard with fist.

Why do they have harder fists, in Adelaide.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
We are having to contend with the umpires so far, with what appears to be home team advantage.

When they blow whistle for crows free, its instantaneous; when its for the Dees, its a delayed whistle, which suggests to me that the umpires have some bias playing out in their heads.

Just now with the ball virtually in the crows goal square; the umps let it play out for an extended period, giving the crows a clear advantage in front of their own goals.

Nah, it's not that at all. I think we've been ok this season, but I haven't seen two better sides than Crows and Dockers. If we keep it close we've done an amazing job today..
Haven't seen much of Adelaide before today. They're very good in defence (although if Randall is hurt that could change), tough and skilled. Their forward line looks a bit meh though. 2 goals for all their dominance isn't much.
Freo have looked solid across the board and provided they aren't completely cooked by being on the road all season seem a good shot.
We always seem to struggle against hard, physical teams.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
**** that was some dogshit. As bad as we're playing we're remarkably still in it,
Only our desperation is keeping us in it, atmo.

We have to come out physically hard, right from the get go, and it them hard on body. Something the Dees are traditionally un-accustomed to.

Fight fire with more fire DEES.!

Hurt them, make them feel hurt with every bump.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I only tuned in, to be honest this is going the way it thought it would go. We just can't get the ball in the forward line and we are going to get badly overwhelmed with all their forward 50 entries.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah this is downright embarrassing stuff from the women here. 2 points is laughable from a supposed contender. Lost the exact same way to them last season. This coach can't get it done. He's had multiple goes and can't get the girls up.

Yeah this is downright embarrassing stuff from the women here. 2 points is laughable from a supposed contender. Lost the exact same way to them last season. This coach can't get it done. He's had multiple goes and can't get the girls up.
Yeah I'm getting inclined to agree that Stinear has run his race. Same problems each year under pressure.
We look great with time and space and are very skilled. But any sort of physical pressure and we go to s**t and just play dumb footy. There is no margin for error in our game style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back