AFLW Round 4 2022 - vs Adelaide, Norwood Oval, Saturday 29 January

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbh, i don't think mithen has been good this year. Out of form. I know it was due to covid but i didn't really feel like she was a massive loss last week

Already been said, but Adelaide have not given Melbourne space and time and it’s been very effective.

Melbourne play a neat, skilled based game, but just like men’s footy it looks like that style doesn’t seem to stack up under intense and sustained pressure.

Already been said, but Adelaide have not given Melbourne space and time and it’s been very effective.

Melbourne play a neat, skilled based game, but just like men’s footy it looks like that style doesn’t seem to stack up under intense and sustained pressure.
The broadcast has made a good point that Norwood oval is much smaller than the MCG. Adelaide's pressure has been good, but because of that and the dimensions we haven't been able to make any space

Jeez we've played dumb. Why did Gay try a shank off the goal line rather than rush the point?
Our decision making this game has been abysmal. Always choosing bad options and putting teammates under pressure.
Hopefully this is our s**t game for the year done and we are more consistent from here.

Jeez we've played dumb. Why did Gay try a shank off the goal line rather than rush the point?
Our decision making this game has been abysmal. Always choosing bad options and putting teammates under pressure.
Hopefully this is our sh*t game for the year done and we are more consistent from here.
Cost so much time in a game with 16 minute quarters.

Flattered by the scoreboard really, my on the spot review

Not going to get stuck into the forward line, i could say i hardly noticed players like scott today, but it never got down there

Midfield was abysmal, Mithen has been ordanary this season

Defence made some horrid options coming out from defence, but they where under a lot of pressure and there was not much support down there

The only player i enjoyed watching today was Goldrick, battled hard and kept trying to take the game on

Yeah I'm getting inclined to agree that Stinear has run his race. Same problems each year under pressure.
We look great with time and space and are very skilled. But any sort of physical pressure and we go to sh*t and just play dumb footy. There is no margin for error in our game style.
I don't agree re Stinear. Hes a technical/tactics sort of coach.
We were put off by the aggression, from the first siren.

This, is a Melbourne thing, associated with our club for decades. it (cultural) goes away now and then, when things are to our strengths.

This is about our players not willing to go beyond, to be extra physical of our opponents. We are too nice (kind) to our core. It is disarming, of ourselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This, is a Melbourne thing, associated with our club for decades. it (cultural) goes away now and then, when things are to our strengths.

This is about our players not willing to go beyond, to be extra physical of our opponents. We are too nice (kind) to our core. It is disarming, of ourselves.
I understand the culture argument (and kinda agree, we lack 'mongrel' players and go into our she'll too quickly), but the coach is responsible, albeit not solely, for trying to shift and get over that mindset.
I also think he's very reluctant to try different things in game. We stuck with basically the same setup and positions all game despite it not working for 90% of the game.

Also the comeback comment was with tongue firmly in cheek.

Flattered by the scoreboard really, my on the spot review

Not going to get stuck into the forward line, i could say i hardly noticed players like scott today, but it never got down there

Midfield was abysmal, Mithen has been ordanary this season

Defence made some horrid options coming out from defence, but they where under a lot of pressure and there was not much support down there

The only player i enjoyed watching today was Goldrick, battled hard and kept trying to take the game on
Agree PF.
We lost composure in the face of fierce aggression.

When we bring the skill tactics against the likes of the tough crows we will fumble the game away every-time.
Because we are not really that skilled.

We should have hopped onto the plane to Adelaide, with our mission firmly in mind. Mission to forget tactical, and to bring the hot aggression to put them under the pump, first, second, and foremost... Let them win first touch and sit on their tails as soon as they got the footy.
Put as much aggression and pressure on them, making them the Hunted.

Yeah but isn't it the job of the coach to improve the weaknesses of the side? We have lost literally the same way since the inception of the competition. Saints really showed the way last weekend, they could only keep it up for 3 quarters. Good sides like Adelaide, Freo, Lions, Collingwood will really trouble us because they are capable of not only running out 4 quarters, but score heavily when we are pressured. Blind Freddy can see the same thing happens every season, yet nothing seems to change. We play a nice brand of football, skillful and we dominate poor teams, but when pressured/bullied, we turn to water. Harris has brought a bit of that this year, but she can't do much at FF when the ball isn't coming in.

I said at the start of the year it was going to be a Freo v Crows GF and this weekend pretty much confirms that. Both sides are head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

(and kinda agree, we lack 'mongrel' players and go into our she'll too quickly)
This is exactly whet happened to us today. crows brought the tenacity at us. and we were playing the ball. So we felt the intimidation. because we were tracking the footy, they sat just off us, and as soon as we got the ball they gang tackled us. This is a recipe to become intimidated.

We have to change our thinking, for playing against the tougher teams.

We have to go to Adelaide with an attitude of a pack of Hyena's. Let them catch the meal, then we'll move in and take it from them.

Its not so much mongrel players Dory, but it is about having a mongrel attitude to the game. the contest.

Re the coach:, when so many players are below they're best, its almost impossible to do anything about poor form, without making it worse. The role play these days leaves players a bit one dimensional.

Like in today's match, they pressured us when we got the footy stripping us of it, or forcing us to do a quick kick, intuitively, which on this seasons footy, was to automatically look to the corridor, which they clogged up ahead of our ball, leaving the fat side of the ground well open which we rarely took use of.

They knew our game inside out, and plugged us up with ease.

We need to become more physical footballers, as a priority.

Last edited:
Yeah but isn't it the job of the coach to improve the weaknesses of the side? We have lost literally the same way since the inception of the competition. Saints really showed the way last weekend, they could only keep it up for 3 quarters. Good sides like Adelaide, Freo, Lions, Collingwood will really trouble us because they are capable of not only running out 4 quarters, but score heavily when we are pressured. Blind Freddy can see the same thing happens every season, yet nothing seems to change. We play a nice brand of football, skillful and we dominate poor teams, but when pressured/bullied, we turn to water. Harris has brought a bit of that this year, but she can't do much at FF when the ball isn't coming in.

I said at the start of the year it was going to be a Freo v Crows GF and this weekend pretty much confirms that. Both sides are head and shoulders above the rest IMO.
Any team will struggle to play skilled footy when under pressure like from the Saints and from the Crows. Just as they would, if we were the Hunters... rather than the Grazers.

We need to transition into being the Carnivores of the contest.

We, and women's footy is not skilled enough yet, to be able to blast past this sort of relentless pressure, applied to the ball winners.

Our first port of call, is to work on our handball effectiveness when under pressure. To make sure we get our possession outside of the contested area, to our outriders.

Last edited:
I'd encourage all you fellas to re watch that first Qtr, and see how they sat off us, frequently following us to the ball, then attacking us with tackles and bumps.
They plugged up area for our outlet kicks, and then won the ball back and ran forward.

They're skills from out in space looked flattering, but anyone can kick well without pressure.

So far this season we have numerous senior players off from last years form,
Starting with Lauren Pearce, Eden Zanker, Paxy is permanently tagged, Mithen has been poor, Daisy a virtual scarecrow (apart from today), West has been poor, McNamara keeps disposing of the ball back inside trouble.

We've been missing Maddie Gay this year.
Lampard Birch and Hore have basically kept us going, this season so far.

Far too many players believe the pre season hype, of becoming premiers. Like it's a fay accompli.

Lol this board never changes. We have a 3-3 record against Adelaide now, and we smashed them at Casey Fields last year. Home ground advantage is huge in W but also Adelaide are hugely overpowered on account of having the entire SA talent pool to themselves.

Unfortunately we’ve probably blown our chances this year now given they’ll almost definitely finish above us on the ladder. We wasted our chance last year when we lost to The Western™️ to finish on top of the table.

Well we can't blow up like this about the blokes anymore, that they'll never win anything! So the W side gets all of the MFCSS for now.
Our men's team are going to find the same extra pressure from Rnd 1... after our Premiership.

I feel like its better to be the counter puncher, in today's game style and rebound from the back half.

1st touch footy is great if we can clear of the contest with ball in hand. If we cough it up it, gets ugly from there.

Losing the toss also turned out to be pretty fatal today, they were on the back foot from the start against that wind and the crowd got right into the Crows once they smelled blood. Something else we probably would have handled better at Casey.

Have to hope that Adelaide lose a couple of games on the road now - but looking at their draw, it’s not likely. Unclear where their away game v Freo (or our game v Freo for that matter) will be played. We beat Freo in Perth last year v narrowly, absolutely must repeat that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back