AFLW Round 4 2022 - vs Adelaide, Norwood Oval, Saturday 29 January

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing the toss also turned out to be pretty fatal today, they were on the back foot from the start against that wind and the crowd got right into the Crows once they smelled blood. Something else we probably would have handled better at Casey.

Have to hope that Adelaide lose a couple of games on the road now - but looking at their draw, it’s not likely. Unclear where their away game v Freo (or our game v Freo for that matter) will be played. We beat Freo in Perth last year v narrowly, absolutely must repeat that
I think the draw has been cooked by the COVID cases and canned games, so I wouldn't bank on it that it stays the same. Although they've already beaten us, North and Brisbane comfortably.
That said, they flogged Brisbane in Brisbane about this time last year, and we know what happened at the GF. All is not (yet) lost.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'd encourage all you fellas to re watch that first Qtr, and see how they sat off us, frequently following us to the ball, then attacking us with tackles and bumps.
They plugged up area for our outlet kicks, and then won the ball back and ran forward.

They're skills from out in space looked flattering, but anyone can kick well without pressure.
So you're saying that our coach was totally outcoached! He's had long enough with lists that have been top 3 favourites every season(Number 1 favourite in 3 seasons) since the comp began and hasn't delivered. We aren't winning it this year. How many chances do you give him? The last quarter may have saved his job, but it just covered over the same cracks that appear every season. I'd nearly allow Daisy to coach us next season tbh. It's nice to be consistently up there each season, but we clearly don't have the coach to get us the premiership IMO.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
So you're saying that our coach was totally outcoached! He's had long enough with lists that have been top 3 favourites every season(Number 1 favourite in 3 seasons) since the comp began and hasn't delivered. We aren't winning it this year. How many chances do you give him? The last quarter may have saved his job, but it just covered over the same cracks that appear every season. I'd nearly allow Daisy to coach us next season tbh. It's nice to be consistently up there each season, but we clearly don't have the coach to get us the premiership IMO.
Out coached, No, not saying that. Our game-style for this and past seasons, will always struggle against the physically rough and hard working teams.
You cannot change game-style each match. That would cause a rabble.

I don't think his job is under threat, as we are building a team to go all the way. You don't do that afresh each season with new styles. How many chances do you give Goodwin over the past 5 years. How many for Hardwick.

The biggest crack, is not clearing traffic, getting our possessions to the outriders. This is handball central.
As Warnie would say, Handball! Handball! Handball!!!

We are really poor at quality handball under pressure. The Crows were twice as good with quality handball, to clear the packs.

I agree with the Daisy sentiment, as an assistant, and I would do that right now. This week. Time to retire Daisy. We are virtually playing one player short, Re running, etc.

I would ruck LPearce in shorter stints, and rest her forward in Daisy's spot.

I Would ruck Zanker and Parry much more frequently, and utilise Caris more often in the team, to try to fast track her development.... LPearce is getting bigger in her thighs, obviously because she cannot train enough with knee issues. Utilise her aerial ability inside f50 more often, rotating lPearce and Zanker forward. Meaning Daisy cannot play next to Pearce for pace reasons.

Rest Hanks when off ball, forward pocket. rotating with Gay.

I would take PacMan out of the centre square for now, starting on a wing and pushing hard thru the middle at ball-ups, trying to shrug the taggers. I want Pacman to come from behind the opposition rather than being in front of they're eyes. Same for the stoppages around ground. Do not want PacMan in-under first, but being 2nd, or 3rd touch, around packs. So for PacMan to play a bit more of a defensive role, stripping opponents of the ball, and ready to receive and redirect play. & 1%'s

I want more aggressive types in at centre bounce. No backward step types.

I don't like Mithen's use of the ball from back 50. So I would throw her high forward, as a defensive pressure flanker, and pushing up to midfield, utilising her tenacity, speed and agility. Handball to teammates to setup play. I want Mithen to upset the natural order of the oppositions defencive structures. Crete havoc rather than get first touch. tackle, harass, block, shepherd, chase, & 1%'s

So, a little like from these.

deep: Gay, Harris/lPearce, Hore
high: Bannan, Scott/Pearce Mithen,

wings: PacMan, McNamara, Petreski,
onball: lPearce/Zanker/Campbell/Brown, Hanks/Gay/West

hb: Lampard, Colvin, Tarrant, Sherriff,
fb: Goldrick, Birch, Heath, McGee

The underlying ethos of our game should be aggression.

And lets see a lot more shepherding of teammates to the ball, instead of peeling off to receive all the time. The more we have to handball, the more risk is brought into play. Shepherd teammates! Shepherd hard, block strong.

* McNamara, please stop hand-balling back into the contest; get on your bike with the ball and make some space, before using disposal. If no options, then just handball in front of yourself to space, prior to being tackled.

Last edited:
Out coached, No, not saying that. Our game-style for this and past seasons, will always struggle against the physically rough and hard working teams.
You cannot change game-style each match. That would cause a rabble.

I don't think his job is under threat, as we are building a team to go all the way. You don't do that afresh each season with new styles. How many chances do you give Goodwin over the past 5 years. How many for Hardwick.

The biggest crack, is not clearing traffic, getting our possessions to the outriders. This is handball central.
As Warnie would say, Handball! Handball! Handball!!!

We are really poor at quality handball under pressure. The Crows were twice as good with quality handball, to clear the packs.

I agree with the Daisy sentiment, as an assistant, and I would do that right now. This week. Time to retire Daisy. We are virtually playing one player short, Re running, etc.

I would ruck LPearce in shorter stints, and rest her forward in Daisy's spot.

I Would ruck Zanker and Parry much more frequently, and utilise Caris more often in the team, to try to fast track her development.... LPearce is getting bigger in her thighs, obviously because she cannot train enough with knee issues. Utilise her aerial ability inside f50 more often, rotating lPearce and Zanker forward. Meaning Daisy cannot play next to Pearce for pace reasons.

Rest Hanks when off ball, forward pocket. rotating with Gay.

I would take PacMan out of the centre square for now, starting on a wing and pushing hard thru the middle at ball-ups, trying to shrug the taggers. I want Pacman to come from behind the opposition rather than being in front of they're eyes. Same for the stoppages around ground. Do not want PacMan in-under first, but being 2nd, or 3rd touch, around packs. So for PacMan to play a bit more of a defensive role, stripping opponents of the ball, and ready to receive and redirect play. & 1%'s

I want more aggressive types in at centre bounce. No backward step types.

I don't like Mithen's use of the ball from back 50. So I would throw her high forward, as a defensive pressure flanker, and pushing up to midfield, utilising her tenacity, speed and agility. Handball to teammates to setup play. I want Mithen to upset the natural order of the oppositions defencive structures. Crete havoc rather than get first touch. tackle, harass, block, shepherd, chase, & 1%'s

So, a little like from these.

deep: Gay, Harris/lPearce, Hore
high: Bannan, Scott/Pearce Mithen,

wings: PacMan, McNamara, Petreski,
onball: lPearce/Zanker/Campbell/Brown, Hanks/Gay/West

hb: Lampard, Colvin, Tarrant, Sherriff,
fb: Goldrick, Birch, Heath, McGee

The underlying ethos of our game should be aggression.

And lets see a lot more shepherding of teammates to the ball, instead of peeling off to receive all the time. The more we have to handball, the more risk is brought into play. Shepherd teammates! Shepherd hard, block strong.

* McNamara, please stop hand-balling back into the contest; get on your bike with the ball and make some space, before using disposal. If no options, then just handball in front of yourself to space, prior to being tackled.
Agree with a lot of this. Especially re McNamara and the lack of shepherding. She works hard and is always helping out the defencw but some of her decisions and execution on the weekend were terrible. Not alone there, but had several noticeable fluffed handballs that broke down attacks.
I don't think Daisy is as cooked as you think. She's still got her smarts and uses her body well. I wouldn't mind her given a couple of runs through the guts (Hore too) to give different looks there and let her get the ball. She generally makes good decisions and still has good skills to get us going.
Hore is also quite smart and skilled and has the running capacity to go through the guts a bit.

On Stinear, he's clearly a smart coach and knows how to develop players. He has got the girls to play beautiful footy at times. My worry is the style he's developed is too brittle to work in a final (which have typically been contested slogs) and we have the same issues each year losing in those kind of scraps.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Agree with a lot of this. Especially re McNamara and the lack of shepherding. She works hard and is always helping out the defencw but some of her decisions and execution on the weekend were terrible. Not alone there, but had several noticeable fluffed handballs that broke down attacks.
I don't think Daisy is as cooked as you think. She's still got her smarts and uses her body well. I wouldn't mind her given a couple of runs through the guts (Hore too) to give different looks there and let her get the ball. She generally makes good decisions and still has good skills to get us going.
Hore is also quite smart and skilled and has the running capacity to go through the guts a bit.

On Stinear, he's clearly a smart coach and knows how to develop players. He has got the girls to play beautiful footy at times. My worry is the style he's developed is too brittle to work in a final (which have typically been contested slogs) and we have the same issues each year losing in those kind of scraps.
So if our game plan has proven not to stack up in finals or when proper pressure comes, and hasn't changed in 5 years, how is this not the coaches fault? We've seen the way we lose over and over again the same way yet nothing changes. The club's plan was to win a men's and women's premiership in the next couple of years. The boys have delivered, I'm not convinced the girls will get there under this coach and the gameplan we have.

So if our game plan has proven not to stack up in finals or when proper pressure comes, and hasn't changed in 5 years, how is this not the coaches fault? We've seen the way we lose over and over again the same way yet nothing changes. The club's plan was to win a men's and women's premiership in the next couple of years. The boys have delivered, I'm not convinced the girls will get there under this coach and the gameplan we have.
Sorry, should've been clearer, but I agree with that. I think we've got a good coach but probably not the right one to get us wins in tough finals games when the heat is on.
Although I had similar doubts re Goody in late 2020/early 2021, so who knows.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think Daisy is as cooked as you think. She's still got her smarts and uses her body well.
after re-wqtching the game, I noticed Daisy a lot more, than in past weeks, but she flashed thru the screen fast, in a blur mostly, so not easy to see so much in real time. made me feel a bit embarrassed, as she did show leadership.

But I do think the captaincy should be handed over end of this season.
the guts (Hore too) to give different looks there, and let her get the ball. She generally makes good decisions and still has good skills to get us going.
Hore is also quite smart and skilled, and has the running capacity to go through the guts a bit.
I think Hore is our best player, certainly this season; and is developing into probably our best, and playing in a tough role at half forward.
But I think your best players should be creating the f50 entries. Not as much having the ball kicked to them.
She positions herself, I think really well. A smart footballer. Wasted when we can't get the ball inside our f50.

So I agree with you, in that I would like to see her sometimes from a wing or even halfback flank.? Where she could role thru the midfield from the d50, hitting the contest with some freedom. Multiple roles switching from d50 to hf-flank.

I want more size inside our engine room, with hardness, and have to be strong over their feet, and great hand-baller's.

In our forward 50 I want more strong marking overhead. together with Hanks rotating with Gay, should be close to enough class at ground level.
So I guess I'm saying, I want Hore moreso playing inside/outside around the midfield. But starting outside the centre square.

Our defenders could use the class helping the transition of ball out of d50, to f50.

We need to find a female Kossie Picket type for our F50.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
The game plan doesn't need throwing out; it just needs tweaking. A bit less finesse, and more robust, IMV.
At the moment, Women's footy is not skilled enough yet, to play in the mold of what where trying to do.

Personnel needs a little change, to a more robust style closer to Crows. We don't have enough size and strength across our list, for my liking.

Our current list is good on our feet, but not so much in the crunches. Where we get found out.

This club continues to get get caught out trying to play a moralisic virtue oriented style; rather than a more blue-collar themed rugged style of guts hard work, tough and relentless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back