AFLW Round 4 - 2023 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Who has won from 29+ points down this season? Sydney won from 25 down in R1, Port won from 20 down last week. Can't recall there being any bigger this year.

Maybe a risky prediction without getting a look at the broadcast side of the ground, but based on what I've seen I'd be surprised if it wasn't considerably bigger than previous games there (varied between 1,100 and 2,700).
Thought hawks comeback last year was only 25, not 29. I'll have to go rewatch, haha

Thought hawks comeback last year was only 25, not 29. I'll have to go rewatch, haha
I was adding an extra point for what the new record would need to be. However, I added 2 extra points for no reason. So it's 26, not 28, but it's still the record.

St Kilda woman gets the ball, tackles, drops it, and umpire calls tackled without it

Commentators watch replay twice, say how good a call it was?

And then it’s 8-0 frees Saints way including a hands in the back dive, a St Kilda woman dragging the ball into the Pies player and winning holding the ball, plus that one and say “no contentious frees”

Fremantle's next 4 AFLW Seasons:

Season 8 - 8th, Semi Final
Season 9 - Top 2, Premiers
Season 10 - Top 2, Back to back Premiers
Season 11 - Top 4, Runner-ups.

Hasn't always been champagne football today, but certainly no shortage of script writing fundamentals (and I don't mean that in the nutjob conspiracy theory sense).

Thankfully the victim complex inherent in football supporters, which seems even stronger in AFLW, doesn't carry through to the players. Otherwise you wouldn't get the kind of comebacks like we've seen today.

Plenty of Saints fans probably bought into the idea that their list isn't good, and that's just a bunch of crap. It's amazing what happens when a few key players show a bit of ticker.

St Kilda woman gets the ball, tackles, drops it, and umpire calls tackled without it

And then it’s 8-0 frees Saints way including a hands in the back dive, a St Kilda woman dragging the ball into the Pies player and winning holding the ball, plus that one and say “no contentious frees”
And then the Collingwood captain kicked the ball away well after a free kick was paid to St Kilda. No 50m penalty given.

Rowbottom is so good, it still makes me laugh how they (Sarah Black, Sam Virgo, Tim Harrington, Andrew Dillon, Nicole Livingstone and Kelli Underwood--NOT Laura Kane, Narelle Smith, Megan Waters and Brad Scott) instead gave the Rising Star to somebody in her 2nd year who played half a season.

The Bulldogs' all too apparent lack of fitness was, well, all too apparent at the end of that match. And yet, if not for McFarlane dropping Fitzgerald's pass in the goalsquare, and then Fitzgerald blowing a golden opportunity herself, they still would have run over the Suns.

Must've been 3-4k there for Sydney's win against West Coast (wouldn't have got 1k if it was in Perth, which speaks volumes)
And the other WA club not much less of a joke. Even after a win last week, ZERO posts in the AFLW thread on the Freo board since their game started yesterday. Pretty gutless stuff from their "supporters". No passion!

Yes, the fact they never question BS decisions and just agree with them makes it difficult to warm to them as commentators.

And the other WA club not much less of a joke. Even after a win last week, ZERO posts in the AFLW thread on the Freo board since their game started yesterday. Pretty gutless stuff from their "supporters". No passion!
We were taught if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.
And there isn’t too much to say that is nice about our team so far this year even though we’ve won two games.

We were taught if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.
And there isn’t too much to say that is nice about our team so far this year even though we’ve won two games.
I guess you were taught to apply that philosophy selectively (numerous attempts to tarnish Sabreena Duffy's character come to mind).

Btw ~15 months ago somebody on here claimed to be "much happier" to have Nikki Gore (rather than Madison Prespakis or Jamie Stanton) at Fremantle. You wanted mediocrity, you got it.

I was being facetious in that comment.
But 50/50 on your examples.
Duffy tarnished her own character way better than anyone on this forum could but Gore in front of Prespakis or Stanton was a howler.
But please don’t go back through my predictions for this season, looking through black and gold coloured glasses has seriously damaged my forecasts.

Far more integrous to stay at Fremantle and just keep collecting paycheques for years of poor performance and bad attitude, a la Roxy Roux (who for some reason gets the "it's the AFL's fault our top draft pick is dogging it" allowance).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

watched that game, all of it, not many of those frees were iffy, the Saints clearly harder at it, with higher pressure, hence the 5 goal run. watched the pies player (their ruck- push players in the back all day and not called once)

it's funny I watched North rnd 1 get a massive ride vs us, Essendon at Home vs us get a huge run, and not a peep about the umpiring.

simple statement is the AFLW umpiring is diabolical at best

It's hard to make excuses when sides from every wave of expansion have managed to get competitive. The ones who haven't should've taken it more seriously and done more to get their system going. We're already seeing Geelong, GC and GWS who earlier on looked like they needed more support turn it around and start to get serious and competitive. The league is still too new to be constantly reactive like this every time a club is s**t. If Port and Essendon who've been around for just over 12 months have managed to look competitive in games against those more established sides, what's West Coast's excuse when they've had more than twice as much time to get their s**t in order? I think they need to just let it settle for a bit and then look to correct if, say, Melbourne and Adelaide are still the league's clear top two 5 years from now and the current cellar dwellars still haven't fired a shot.
In a league that has payments outside salary caps, an uneven introduction and some teams having 7+ years to comb through talent, hone pathways and development, structures.

it's no coincidence that original teams are still at the top of the ladder year after year. Clearly some teams have done better than others and WC is a massive outlier. when we have state-based drafting, some teams a going to be up against it for a while
Thankfully the victim complex inherent in football supporters, which seems even stronger in AFLW, doesn't carry through to the players. Otherwise you wouldn't get the kind of comebacks like we've seen today.

Plenty of Saints fans probably bought into the idea that their list isn't good, and that's just a bunch of crap. It's amazing what happens when a few key players show a bit of ticker.
still plenty of issues around our list, but obviously needed a few games to gel with such a big influx of new players, The season kind of gone already though with only 10 games, so you can see why it's so hard for newer teams to catch up.

sort of goes back to the previous poster I quoted, 1 misstep has a season-long impact rather than just a few games, do we have the right coach, hard to tell atm, is 10 games enough to tell with such big off-season changes? We've looked ordinary until that 2nd half, skills a mile off it. structure non existant.

by the time we find out, the seasons over

"This'll be a tough one to dissect for them" says Jo Wotton of North Melbourne's loss. They didn't try as hard as the opposition, pretty simple really!

It was fitting that Emma Kearney had the ball 50m out at the end of the game, juuuust running out of time, having burned ~30 seconds a few minutes earlier (when NM were already down) by showing no urgency to restart play (bringing it in from a behind, then giving the footy to the ump for a ball up).

Must've been 3-4k there for Sydney's win against West Coast (wouldn't have got 1k if it was in Perth, which speaks volumes). The Swans blew a lot of easy chances in Q4 so I'm reluctant to highlight West Coast's inaccuracy as the deciding factor.
Estimate for the hawks vs melbourne game was 2.5k too, pretty good for a 5pm game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back