Review Round 4, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

On rewatching the game I really don’t think BTs commentary was as bad as most made it out to be, yeah he banged on about the pies coming back a bit but he also spent plenty of time talking up Charlie/Rayner and saying how much better Daniher and Hipwood were looking.

The replay of this game is no longer available on Kayo.

Is anyone else aware of this or am I looking at the wrong bit of Kayo?
Funny that..I was watching the replay last night..paused it..came back and couldn’t find it

Not sure if this has been posted yet. But it is a good read.

Definitely. We played high risk high reward football and it worked for us. The Pies play the same and I guess they got given the benefit of the doubt in the article because it was never really brought up for them. They emphasised that we had a real clean game and how they did not but both were treated a bit like it was a fluke. Obviously the Pies have a greater track record playing this way consistently but we’ve seen from the expected score that we did well forcing them into less ideal shots while we managed to walk it in.

They did highlight the centre clearance difference (which I think came from them receiving about 3-4 frees in the last from the centre) but never touched the fact that we comfortably won the clearances around the other stoppages. Maybe just the tone of some of the sentences just felt like it wasn’t quite matching what the author was trying to say.

Regardless, I agree that we by no means created a way to ‘win easy’ against the Pies and any team that beats them will have done so through talent and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On rewatching the game I really don’t think BTs commentary was as bad as most made it out to be, yeah he banged on about the pies coming back a bit but he also spent plenty of time talking up Charlie/Rayner and saying how much better Daniher and Hipwood were looking.

I watched it after being at the game and it was pretty bad when both teams were trading goals in the third and fourth. We still matched them during that time well enough but you would have thought Collingwood were destroying us from the commentary.

Our run of ten straight goals that we put on also was sometimes met with very flat commentary. While there was some admission of us playing well BT didn’t exactly call it like he was happy about it.

Not sure if this has been posted yet. But it is a good read.

Very good read but the goal kicking accuracy is going to do my head in. Collingwood were a bit off radar accuracy wise but they'd been going at very unsustainable levels pre this game:

As said in the comments to this post, they kicked 11.14 plus 3 rushed behinds - expected score was 85.9, they kicked 80. Yes, they missed some easy ones but they also converted some generally tough shots such as De Goey's bomb from 55.

I'd add as well that I think the post is correct that not all teams can punish collingwood on turnover like we did, but I don't think it was because our forwards were cheating ahead of the ball. Lots of them were running and pressuring and causing turnover, and with how aggressive collingwood are if you can turn it over high you are always a chance of getting some very easy goals.

I watched it after being at the game and it was pretty bad when both teams were trading goals in the third and fourth. We still matched them during that time well enough but you would have thought Collingwood were destroying us from the commentary.

Our run of ten straight goals that we put on also was sometimes met with very flat commentary. While there was some admission of us playing well BT didn’t exactly call it like he was happy about it.

The Freo game last year was another example of this. With the crowd carry on etc, every goal Freo kicked in the 2nd half felt like a massive celebration, while any Brisbane goal was completely disregarded and ignored.

Post game the commentary was all about how amazingly good Freo was and how bad we were. It wasn't until I pointed out to Max Laughton at Fox Footy (via Twitter) than on expected score, we actually won the game, that the general chatter about the game became at least somewhat balanced.

Those two songs are hard work . . . . west Virginia, Queensland. What we need is for Clugg to step up and become a goal kicker. And his song needs to be changed to Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden. As in 6 . . .6, 6 . . .the number of the beast. That'll get things rocking at the gabba!!
I haven't noticed if he's change it or not, but in 2022 Clug's goal song was Rasputin, by Boney M, which is in my opinion an even bigger banger.

The win over a good Demons side was great and a big turnaround from the forgettable round one effort.
We did not carry the same intensity into the Dogs game and got beaten by 14 points.

The Pies game was our best performance this year. More to the point our best team performance.
Kicking 10 unanswered goals against a very good team is a rare occurrence.
No coach should allow that to happen let alone a top 4 prospect. You need to stem the tide after say 4 goals maximum.
Be that man on man for a period, an extra player or 10 back in defense after 6-6-6 bounce. Anything to stem that run especially if you are a top 4 side.

Fly must have decided to let the Pie players do what they did regularly in the 2nd half of 2022.
Waiting for the Pie turnaround but it never happened.

We won the first half by 22 and importantly won the 2nd half by 11. An overall even performance.
Lions actually scored the exact same score for each half being 9.4.58
The only quarter we lost was the first by 13.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were we watching the same game? BT sounded like he needed a tissue after Charlie’s goal at the start of the 4th he was that excited.

I’m all for calling out Vicbias but this isn’t it

Were we watching the same game? BT sounded like he needed a tissue after Charlie’s goal at the start of the 4th he was that excited.

Yes for a very good goal for Charlie but it doesn’t negate my point we traded goals five to six times.

I don't think it was bias.

More the fact that his commentary in no way reflected the reality of what was being beamed into thousands of homes.

So, not bias. Just embarrassing.

Kicking 10 unanswered goals against a very good team is a rare occurrence.
No coach should allow that to happen let alone a top 4 prospect. You need to stem the tide after say 4 goals maximum.
Be that man on man for a period, an extra player or 10 back in defense after 6-6-6 bounce. Anything to stem that run especially if you are a top 4 side.

Fly must have decided to let the Pie players do what they did regularly in the 2nd half of 2022.
Waiting for the Pie turnaround but it never happened.
Fascinating chat today on SEN between Derm and Kingy. Derm very much shared your view - he said his teams always locked down after 3 goals against. Kingy the opposite, saying why would you go away from what you've trained all preseason for. Like it's an admission of defeat.

I'm a bit in the Derm camp on this one as well. Momentum is a real thing in sport. We did well to quell the Bulldogs' momentum in the second quarter last week, even tho we were never really able to generate any of our own after that.

Also the Pies really did come hard at us in the last quarter and a half. They definitely started doing things no other team even thinks of doing, and you could see it did unsettle us a bit.

However, enough of us held our nerve that we got good looks on the counter attack with an open forward line, that we were able to take advantage of and maintain the margin. Charlie being the main beneficiary of course.

yeah . . . but it's probably more of a hand banger than a head banger
I haven't noticed if he's change it or not, but in 2022 Clug's goal song was Rasputin, by Boney M, which is in my opinion an even bigger banger.

Fascinating chat today on SEN between Derm and Kingy. Derm very much shared your view - he said his teams always locked down after 3 goals against. Kingy the opposite, saying why would you go away from what you've trained all preseason for. Like it's an admission of defeat.

I'm a bit in the Derm camp on this one as well. Momentum is a real thing in sport. We did well to quell the Bulldogs' momentum in the second quarter last week, even tho we were never really able to generate any of our own after that.

Also the Pies really did come hard at us in the last quarter and a half. They definitely started doing things no other team even thinks of doing, and you could see it did unsettle us a bit.

However, enough of us held our nerve that we got good looks on the counter attack with an open forward line, that we were able to take advantage of and maintain the margin. Charlie being the main beneficiary of course.
This is a particularly relevant discussion after the second quarter Rich v WB. Bulldogs had no answers to the momentum from Richmond.The art of slowing down the play during a run like that seems to be lost. The temptation to try to match the pace is overwhelming instead of turning the game into a grind at the stoppages and then playing kick and mark for a while.

This is a particularly relevant discussion after the second quarter Rich v WB. Bulldogs had no answers to the momentum from Richmond.The art of slowing down the play during a run like that seems to be lost. The temptation to try to match the pace is overwhelming instead of turning the game into a grind at the stoppages and then playing kick and mark for a while.

Defensively, teams are very well drilled in their zones that you can only slow the play and kick short for a short while before everything is closed off and you have to go down the line. We saw it yesterday with Carlton in the first half. Clarko has North well drilled that when Carlton played slowly, they couldn't get the ball moving at all. It was only when they upped their speed off half back did they start moving the ball.

Back