Review Round 4, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Something I forgot to mention before.

Our kicking up the line from half back. Early on it was rubbish like it was against the Bulldogs. Our guys either got outmarked or getting it out of bounds was the best case scenario. And then we were still 70-80 from goal: no man's land.

But something interesting happened after quarter time. We were still forced to kick up the line but from that time on we were able to engineer it so we were a lot further forward when we did so, ie approaching the wing. Haven't watched a replay yet but if I recall correctly this was achieved via a series of short lateral/45⁰ kick passes which Collingwood allowed us to have, knowing a long kick to a contest would need to come soon enough.

This is still the least desirable option; if we can use the corridor from there we should be doing all we can to do so. But it meant that these kicks were landing on or around 50. It's a subtle difference but important because it means our next disposal could be a shot for goal. This means the opposition's defenders need to be a bit more careful and perhaps not take such a big risk with their own positioning and disposal.

The watch for future weeks is how do we go transposing this ploy onto playing surfaces of different sizes. I'm going to come across as full geek here, but as soon as I get to Mount Barker and Manuka Oval, I'd be getting out one of those wheely metre ruler thingies (please tell me these have a more elegant name 😆) and finding out exactly where the 100m from goal mark is. Make it a team rule we only kick long up the line once we've passed that mark.

Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

BT knows his audience.

There's not much love for him with unbiased ,measured calling.

I'd say if Daniher did the Daicos swan dive it would've been talked about and replayed 20 times during the match , Fages would've been grilled about it and that would've been the headline of the match on the AFL page.

You’re not wrong there. Side note too, bur I also don’t think Daicos dived. Watching the replay I think he literally just tripped over his own feet as he landed. A hilariously bad umpiring call though either way

I'm going to come across as full geek here, but as soon as I get to Mount Barker and Manuka Oval, I'd be getting out one of those wheely metre ruler thingies (please tell me these have a more elegant name 😆)
According to Mr Google it is .... drumroll ... called a 'measuring wheel'.

Kind of a let down on the drama front ;)

Something I forgot to mention before.

Our kicking up the line from half back. Early on it was rubbish like it was against the Bulldogs. Our guys either got outmarked or getting it out of bounds was the best case scenario. And then we were still 70-80 from goal: no man's land.

But something interesting happened after quarter time. We were still forced to kick up the line but from that time on we were able to engineer it so we were a lot further forward when we did so, ie approaching the wing. Haven't watched a replay yet but if I recall correctly this was achieved via a series of short lateral/45⁰ kick passes which Collingwood allowed us to have, knowing a long kick to a contest would need to come soon enough.

This is still the least desirable option; if we can use the corridor from there we should be doing all we can to do so. But it meant that these kicks were landing on or around 50. It's a subtle difference but important because it means our next disposal could be a shot for goal. This means the opposition's defenders need to be a bit more careful and perhaps not take such a big risk with their own positioning and disposal.

The watch for future weeks is how do we go transposing this ploy onto playing surfaces of different sizes. I'm going to come across as full geek here, but as soon as I get to Mount Barker and Manuka Oval, I'd be getting out one of those wheely metre ruler thingies (please tell me these have a more elegant name 😆) and finding out exactly where the 100m from goal mark is. Make it a team rule we only kick long up the line once we've passed that mark.

Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
This might do the job instead of a "wheely thingies"

The Pulse features 6x magnification, a range up to 400 yards (250 yards to flags), a user-friendly flag-lock display, is accurate by plus or minus one yard, and can display distances in meters. It also weighs less than five ounces and fits comfortably in your hand with dimensions of 4 x 3 x 1.5. The $136 price tag proves that good things can come in small, not-too pricey packages.
scoreband-pulsejpg.jpg

This might do the job instead of a "wheely thingies"

The Pulse features 6x magnification, a range up to 400 yards (250 yards to flags), a user-friendly flag-lock display, is accurate by plus or minus one yard, and can display distances in meters. It also weighs less than five ounces and fits comfortably in your hand with dimensions of 4 x 3 x 1.5. The $136 price tag proves that good things can come in small, not-too pricey packages.
scoreband-pulsejpg.jpg

And much more subtle too in case prying eyes are watching. Brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a moving on moment if ever I've seen one, hope he comes back as hardness coach. ;)

Just one question how do I like and subscribe to his vlog thingy?

I'm just a tech illiterate, over 50's clique member wanting to show some love to the young whipper snapper.
I am the bolded as well, I need start up an over 60s clique though.

If you watch the video I linked click on the watch on youtube tag, and then you should see a subscribe button just under the video... however I am a bit of a tech illiterate as well but I have picked up some basic tips from my son who works in IT over the years.

I am the bolded as well, I need start up an over 60s clique though.

If you watch the video I linked click on the watch on youtube tag, and then you should see a subscribe button just under the video... however I am a bit of a tech illiterate as well but I have picked up some basic tips from my son who works in IT over the years.

Do it! I'm not far off. ;)

I didn't watch the Sunday night Fox Footy show with David King but according to the article Kingy spent his time praising Collingwood - I actually agree with him, high risk game plan and it doesn't always come off but they've won 15 of 17 so it's obviously working for the most part - tendency for the media to overreact and I've seen plenty of "Collingwood have been found out" takes - they will be right up there obviously

Last edited:
Some of the opinions here about Charlie's goal song don't seem to accommodate the fact that it is 'His Song'.

Regardless of the lyrics it speaks to him, and we should except that.

Just appreciate it resonates for him and he includes us in that intimate moment, that's golden.
I think it's all been pretty light hearted.

I didn't watch the Sunday night Fox Footy show with David King but according to the article Kingy spent his time praising Collingwood - I actually agree with him, high risk game plan and it doesn't always come off but they've won 15 of 17 so it's obviously working for the most part
He implied that it was more luck than good management for us to have stopped them on several occasions where they had the outnumber at the ground ball but we turned it over and bit them on the counter (because they had committed some of their defenders up to the contest) . . . .he may be right. Can't see how you could coach what we did. We just had a player in the right place who had good enough one touch/clean hands and decision making skills there to kill off their attempt to overwhelm with numbers.

You can coach it I guess. If you had studied Collingwood's game and had identified what they were doing, you could alert the team to it and emphasize how important it is to attack and win the ground ball and either kill it or clear it with a long handball away from the outnumber.

Fagan said in his presser that we were brave with our defence in that we kept going forward at the ball carrier and their attempted handball chains, pressure pressure pressure will disrupt any over handball side, IMO we forced them to over handball with our pressure.

We were far from lucky it was all about intensity and desire.. the 1 percenters that often go unnoticed.

Can't see how you could coach what we did. We just had a player in the right place
Isn't having a player knowing the right place to go to literally the definition of good coaching?

Fagan said in his presser that we were brave with our defence in that we kept going forward at the ball carrier and their attempted handball chains, pressure pressure pressure will disrupt any over handball side, IMO we forced them to over handball with our pressure.

We were far from lucky it was all about intensity and desire.. the 1 percenters that often go unnoticed.
We forced them into high loopy handballs and or to miss handballs which invited more pressure and ultimately turning the ball over. It was pretty impressive from our boys.
Collingwood do have an uncanny ability to have more bodies at the fall of the ball at pretty much every contest.
Which is why things worked better for us when we moved the ball much quicker during the 10 goal stretch.
There was a noticeable shift after that for us to try and slow the game down which still worked but only just.

We forced them into high loopy handballs and or to miss handballs which invited more pressure and ultimately turning the ball over. It was pretty impressive from our boys.
Collingwood do have an uncanny ability to have more bodies at the fall of the ball at pretty much every contest.
Which is why things worked better for us when we moved the ball much quicker during the 10 goal stretch.
There was a noticeable shift after that for us to try and slow the game down which still worked but only just.
When we slow the game down we should do it by keeping possession, 16 metre kicks and using the 20 seconds, only using the kick to a contest when absolutely necessary, always remember they can’t score when we have the ball.

He implied that it was more luck than good management for us to have stopped them on several occasions where they had the outnumber at the ground ball but we turned it over and bit them on the counter (because they had committed some of their defenders up to the contest) . . . .he may be right. Can't see how you could coach what we did. We just had a player in the right place who had good enough one touch/clean hands and decision making skills there to kill off their attempt to overwhelm with numbers.

I saw it a different way, he still praised Fagan and the team for how we played and worked to take away Collingwood’s advantage. BUT, our strategy, while it worked, was very high risk, and a team with lesser personnel or lesser execution on the day wouldn’t have been as successful and Collingwood would’ve come out on top.

Back