Review Round 4, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We always play with 7 players that can roll through defence - so yes, Wilmot and Prior both can be up the ground a bit more and have played a lot of wing, but I think its easy enough to get Rich in to the team.

I genuinely do not understand where this Rich being a whipping boy stuff has come from. I have not seen any evidence that his kicking has lost genuine penetration, and he's more reliable in marking contests than any of our small defenders bar Starce. His deficiency will always be pace and some defensive positioning, but that can be made up for.

Wilmot stays in, Prior unfortunately rotates out.
I agree with that except to my eye Daniel's kicking has lost some penetration of what we've seen so far this year. In his AA year and the year prior he was piercing the defence with 50/60m bullets. Didn't see anything like that in the first 2 games. Could be nothing to it.

Obviously he plays for Prior this week.

I don't get the flak for Nick Daicos.

He's a kid in his second year and is an absolute gun. People expecting him to pick up 30+ and be like John Nicholls at the same time.

If he was playing for us everyone would be delirious.
He's a very good player but I think it's a reaction to the constant media lauding more than to him as a player

He's a very good player but I think it's a reaction to the constant media lauding more than to him as a player

Well media are losing their marbles coz they haven't seen a 20 year old HBF being given the role of a central playmaker. The entire team continues to feed the ball to him at every opportunity due to his pace, lethal disposal skills, vision and speed of decision making.

He's indeed a rare combination and playing with a license to thrill, always go on the attack and rarely needs to run back to defend. It's like the rest of the team are signed up to pick up the defensive slack while Daicos can keep doing the cool forward running stuff and put his array of skills to use every single time. He's delivering so far so it's pretty exciting to watch to be honest.

To make a cricket comparison it feels like Daicos always gets the strike and can keep batting all day while bunch of other muppets will run around to do the fielding and pick up the ball from the boundary.

Well media are losing their marbles coz they haven't seen a 20 year old HBF being given the role of a central playmaker. The entire team continues to feed the ball to him at every opportunity due to his pace, lethal disposal skills, vision and speed of decision making.

He's indeed a rare combination and playing with a license to thrill, always go on the attack and rarely needs to run back to defend. It's like the rest of the team are signed up to pick up the defensive slack while Daicos can keep doing the cool forward running stuff and put his array of skills to use every single time. He's delivering so far so it's pretty exciting to watch to be honest.

To make a cricket comparison it feels like Daicos always gets the strike and can keep batting all day while bunch of other muppets will run around to do the fielding and pick up the ball from the boundary.

Good is good, even if his does play for Collingwood.

Interesting to note that top disposals this week of 38 shared by Daicos and Anderson of the Suns... Both in losing sides. I'm not trying to take anything away from Daicos, he's very clearly a talent, but the obsession with disposal stats gets a bit old. When some players will link 3 or 4 handballs in close proximity in a single play, it doesn't really reflect a whole game.
For the same reason that the recognition of Daicos and Sheezel and now Owens far surpasses that of Ashcroft. All, as far as I can tell, play these outside roles without doing much heavy lifting and get more stats than Ascrofth yet Ashcroft again IMO plays a much harder role, gets a lot of ball to and isnt recogised by the broader media - case in point - SEN's team of the week had all bar Ashcroft in it - now the Vics will probably have you believe that b/c he doesnt play in a Vic team is the reason, but i think the real reason is that a lot of people purely look at stats sheets w/o actually watching games and then just make assumption.s

For the same reason that the recognition of Daicos and Sheezel and now Owens far surpasses that of Ashcroft. All, as far as I can tell, play these outside roles without doing much heavy lifting and get more stats than Ascrofth yet Ashcroft again IMO plays a much harder role, gets a lot of ball to and isnt recogised by the broader media - case in point - SEN's team of the week had all bar Ashcroft in it - now the Vics will probably have you believe that b/c he doesnt play in a Vic team is the reason, but i think the real reason is that a lot of people purely look at stats sheets w/o actually watching games and then just make assumption.s
I kinda think our low possession game style actually costs our players individual recognition/glory. I know most won't care as more focussed on team success but you do have to see so many individual and team awards are based 90% on the guys with the most stats.

Guys like Macrae getting multiple AA is as much on the fact that the dogs midfielder over possess the ball going nowhere fast as the fact he's a good player.

If we won the rest of the year likebwe did against Collingwood with our mids all getting 20-25 touches, none would get AA

I agree with that except to my eye Daniel's kicking has lost some penetration of what we've seen so far this year. In his AA year and the year prior he was piercing the defence with 50/60m bullets. Didn't see anything like that in the first 2 games. Could be nothing to it.

Obviously he plays for Prior this week.
I agree obviously he will. But should he?

Prior's kicking was quite good last week. Kicked a really nice low ball to a target on the wing, about a 45m kick, in i think the third q. Kicked a cracking goal as well. Biggest thing he needs is confidence. He has put in a good performance so should be playing.

Rich might be a whipping boy for some. I don't see him as a dud / liability. I just think if we are going to win a flag we have to be a bit more ruthless at the selection table. And look at our small medium stocks - Starcevich, Coleman, McKenna all look locks atm. So Rich is competing with Prior at this stage (with Wilmot on a wing). Prior has been up and down. But doesn't he deserve to keep his spot? And shouldn't we evaluate Prior as part of a back 7 which seemed to operate really well on the weekend? Our ability to shut down Collingwood well by pressing up on them relied on no weak links running-wise. Could Rich be the weak link?

In terms of Rich in marking contests, I would say he is clearly behind Starce and Coleman. Yes he is a strong body but as we all know those arms are not long! Prior has 6cm on him and a pretty thick body as well.

I know it's peak big footy to obsess over the possible inclusion of one player. But I think it goes to the MC mindset of having too many untouchables. Richy is 33 in June. He's played 270 games. He is picking up the odd injury now. Melbourne managed it with Nathan Jones who was a former skipper.

The vast majority of players wouldn't care less about individual awards(other than if they are triggers for performance bonuses) and anyone of them would prefer a flag over a couple of Brownlow's, Coleman's, Rising Star's, B&Fs etc.

Ashcroft would happily take a premiership medallion and leave the rising star to Sheezel, Owens etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The vast majority of players wouldn't care less about individual awards(other than if they are triggers for performance bonuses) and anyone of them would prefer a flag over a couple of Brownlow's, Coleman's, Rising Star's, B&Fs etc.

Ashcroft would happily take a premiership medallion and leave the rising star to Sheezel, Owens etc.

As would Sheezel as well but the media and fans love to talk about it like it’s do or die. I am guilty of it myself. I wish I could slap past myself for ever involving myself in the Witherden vs Stephenson Rising Star discourse.

We always play with 7 players that can roll through defence - so yes, Wilmot and Prior both can be up the ground a bit more and have played a lot of wing, but I think its easy enough to get Rich in to the team.

I genuinely do not understand where this Rich being a whipping boy stuff has come from. I have not seen any evidence that his kicking has lost genuine penetration, and he's more reliable in marking contests than any of our small defenders bar Starce. His deficiency will always be pace and some defensive positioning, but that can be made up for.

Wilmot stays in, Prior unfortunately rotates out.

It could be Dev, Prior to sub with more flexibility across the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back