Women's Footy Round 4, 2023 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against North?

• [6] Lily Postlethwaite

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [15] Poppy Boltz

• [7] Ellie Hampson

• [8] Jennifer Dunne

• [11] Phoebe Monahan

• [23] Dee Heslop

• [27] Mikayla Pauga

• [33] Analea McKee

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Undersized and against a team that on paper should have accounted for us comfortably at home. That was a big win against the odds.

Great coaching moves and excellent pressure. A real fighting victory. Everyone can hold their heads high. Ellinger continues to grow as a player. Hodder really tackled herself into the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had my doubts about us winning since, to me the girls looked sluggish & disinterested, but I'm glad the girls proved me a fool of poor faith.
Two incidences that got me swearing up a blue storm was lilpos passing to tay Smith when she could've goaled herself to level the scores & Shan Campbell dropping the pill in the goal square which would've put us in front.

My top 5
Ellenger
Svarc
Hampson
Mullins
Anderson/Conway

Good coaching from Starcevich by throwing Campbell forward again which paid off big time later on and the move of Koenen into the middle after halftime produced immediate results. That left us with a very inexperienced backline.

Taylor Smith looked strong when she had to go into the ruck due to Hickie's injury, outrucking King at the stoppages and tackling like a demon.

We missed Dakota out there in the first half to smash some packs and provide a leading option.

Agreed. Showed a lot of ticker. Could've gone into our shells but we didn't, especially since the umps kept giving frees to North that mostly, IMO, weren't there.
The main North tactic seemed to be to wait to be tackled then drop the ball and have the free paid against Brisbane for holding the player.

Wow, just realised I completely stuffed up the poll when I created it and had six missing players for some reason. I've added the missing players to the end of the list, in case anyone would like to change their votes.

I wasn't even hungover enough for that to be a decent excuse for the error.

Players playing for each other and the guernsey.
On the flip side, it was a really disappointing performance by North and are not going to get close to Melbourne or Adelaide playing like that. Seemed to leave it up to only a few and their game plan didn't work when the heat was turned up.

Already it looks like Adelaide and Melbourne are well ahead of the rest. Next step down us and North, Richmond and Geelong. Then everyone else except for West Coast. Then West Coast.
I was at the Sydney v West Coast game on the weekend after a few other Sydney games. Making Sydney look like a competitive team as opposed to a scrappy one at best is damning.

Already it looks like Adelaide and Melbourne are well ahead of the rest. Next step down us and North, Richmond and Geelong. Then everyone else except for West Coast. Then West Coast.
It’s no coincidence both Melbourne and Adelaide are the two clubs least impacted by the expansion.

It still grinds my gears how it’s all unfolded.

Back