Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Somre really good things to take away from that:

Gaff - I haven't been a huge fan over the last couple of years but I am really enjoying this new role. I feel like he is handballing a lot more which takes away how poor his kicking can be. He is also tackling better which is a thing I have criticized as a senior player and some of his efforts previously.

Hunt - Really good pick up. Loves to run and break lines but is actually stronger than I remember him at Melbourne and isnt afraid to take a tackler on to get that run and carry going.

Williams - he's improving in my eyes. Took a couple of grabs yesterday that he usually would have grassed.

Allen - still finding his feet after the layoff but putting in multi goal games during that is a good result.

Long - quickly becoming a fav. Kids harassment and skill a stand out.

Overall pretty good team effort. I'm loving the handball chains from half back where we move it on under the pump to try and break through. A lot more starch to the tackling and general physicality.

Negative and a big one - that spear tackle from Viney should be looked at. Potential to injure off the charts. Should be the easiest call Christian has had to make but we will see...

What was the go with the commentating?
Was Paps here and Lyon and Brown over east or what? Couldn't work that out
I was at the game (so didn't hear it) but it seems to be standard now that the Melbourne based commentators are in a studio over there and the boundary rider is at the game.

First half was pretty good. Pressure was up, we were competing around the ground and getting to contests. Missed some class on the half forward line and just couldn’t deliver to our fwds with any polish. Really missed Ryan.
Melbourne were a bit scrappy in the first half which helped a bit.

Second half Melbourne lifted and we couldn’t go with them.

A lot of the young guys looked a bit lost out there. Hewett playing out of the goals square was strange. He had 0 impact on the game. Culley and Ginbey didn’t really work together which I was really hoping to see. Hough didn’t provide much of the half back line and I don’t think West is a small fwd.

Kelly, Gaff, Allan were good. Hunt was good in the first half. BWilliams was ok and Yeo made it through the game.

Wasn’t an embarrassment but wasn’t good either. Bit of a meh game

I was at the game (so didn't hear it) but it seems to be standard now that the Melbourne based commentators are in a studio over there and the boundary rider is at the game.
1681097771350.png
Adam Papalia is Perth based at least, and he's a very good caller so we're lucky to have him.

Lyon and Brown do one of the dime a dozen Melbourne based shows and they were special comments, so it must have been a multiple room setup which is weird

+
Hunt and kelly did well
Gaff has transitioned well to the inside mid role. Clearly too slow for a wing

-
BWilliams needs to hold onto marks more
Whilst I've been a fan of west ,he and clark arent showing much that an 18yo late draft rookie couldnt. Both should go at the end of the year
A lot of skill errors today

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Clark was picked up as strong bodied inside mid who was dominant in the WAFL, but has been pigeon-holed as a wingman at West Coast. He's not an elite runner which is what a wingman should be, not sure why his obvious strengths haven't been given a go.

Clark was picked up as strong bodied inside mid who was dominant in the WAFL, but has been pigeon-holed as a wingman at West Coast. He's not an elite runner which is what a wingman should be, not sure why his obvious strengths haven't been given a go.
Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe he regularly gets beaten by the other mids in training.

It's very early days, but Hewett, to me, looks very much like a quintessential confidence player

I could easily see him catching fire in a game if he gets some early touches and/or a goal

I could also see him getting the sads if he is fumbly early or misses a set shot

The good news is, I have seen the same behaviour before from this kid called Christian Petracca and he turned out pretty well. Rayner is another comparable example

I like that he (Hewett) has had a taste of senior football, but I think he is better sent back to the WAFL for a little while to build some confidence. Once he has done that, it will translate into better senior football too IMO once he is recalled

Whenever I wake up feeling a little bit down or just not quite right I have one sure fire way to cheer myself up.
I make myself a coffee and then just hop on over to read the Cockburn Vent thread for a bit. After reading it for 5 or 10 minutes the sky seems bluer, the grass seems greener, the air smells fresher and I think to myself, you know what, life could be worse.

It's such a good thread - I do love a gripe and a whinge at WC sometimes but that's sometimes part of the fun of it for us and makes it funny when the good times do roll round. That thread however legit gets dark.

It feels like we're in here doing the equivalent of complaining about our shitty days at our office job and how the system isn't running well at the moment and how that's really annoying.

Then next door it's one of those group counselling sessions for soldiers dealing with PTSD coming back from the war, and being conditioned to dislike society at large etc. Lots of 1000 word essays about not seeing light at the end of the tunnel and feels like the other posters in there are staring at the ground solemnly nodding.

It's awesome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I agree wholeheartedly, should be an inside midfielder, but in the 1st half of the game yesterday that I have seen, he was still good - lacks the pace to play wide.

God the umps were driving me nuts yesterday getting sucked in by Melbourne stoppage tactics
Grundy kept blocking BBW run at ball metres from ball up and gets the free for over shoulder by squatting.
Oliver and Petracca grab ball above head height and drop it in direction of another Melbourne jumper, pretending it's a kicking motion,

Does anyone have the timestamp of the Viney tackle on Hewett? I want to see if the commentators acknowledged it

It’s about halfway through the last

They laughed about it

With the flak thrown at Clarke on BF here I paid close attention to his game on the replay - just finished watching the 1st quarter, and he has been quite good. So far, doesn't deserve the potshots. We'll see how the 2nd quarter pans out.

From memory Suma had him going at 94% DE - again from memory Suma rated him as a keeper to see what tools he really has got.

I know Suma etc etc but his comments largely support your POV

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree clark should be be inside but if his running isn’t elite it’s pretty close to bloke. He was outside as it got as junior and then his inside craft improved after few years under schoey

Nothing in it lifted but didn’t sling and no head contact

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
FOX commentators mentioned that he was very lucky that he kinda pulled out otherwise he'd be in strife - Big Jono Brown I believe it was

Simpson deserves credit for the way we were beating Melbourne for Ground Balls and Contested Possessions for the first quarter and a half. We couldn't keep it up for 4 quarters with a young side. And so the score line was ugly in the end. But they have clearly been working on it over the summer and the work has born some fruit even if it is not showing on the scoreboard at this stage.

I am not sure about the play on at all costs all the time approach. It is a work in progress and hopefully it will be refined. It is OK to take a risk with an attacking and maybe slightly risky disposal if you really are capable of executing it somewhat consistently and the reward justifies the risk. But there is no point going for a disposal in the corridor with a 30% plus chance of turnover when, even if it comes off, you are not really in any better position to attack from anyway. Even if you want to go with an attacking game plan there will still be times when one of the less attacking options is the better one due to risk.

FOX commentators mentioned that he was very lucky that he kinda pulled out otherwise he'd be in strife - Big Jono Brown I believe it was
Brown was waffling on in a monologue saying how great Melbourne are when it hapenned. And nobody wanted to interrupt his monologue so it wasn't commented on it at the time.

Then it got shown in a replay a few minutes later and Papalia (i think) questioned whether it was a dump or sling tackle and Lyon jumped in to defend Viney and say there was nothing to it because Viney had stopped half way through and hadn't totally taken out his legs (or words to that effect) and so it was all fine. No surprise Lyon defends the Melbourne player. I am sure his opinion would have been different if the roles were reversed.

I remember thinking at the time that Hewitt was lifted off the ground and and the first part of his body that made contact with the ground after that was his upper back. The fact that it wasn't his head was just pure chance. I think Viney should get suspended for it.

Does anyone have the timestamp of the Viney tackle on Hewett? I want to see if the commentators acknowledged it
Lyon reckoned it was a beautiful thing because he didn't drive his head into the ground.
True story.

I remember thinking at the time that Hewitt was lifted off the ground and and the first part of his body that made contact with the ground after that was his upper back. The fact that it wasn't his head was just pure chance. I think Viney should get suspended for it.
The MRO is the most trigger happy individual this side of the Deep South, if he doesn't cite Viney then I'll eat a whole pizza.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back