Autopsy Round 4, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

The MRO is the most trigger happy individual this side of the Deep South, if he doesn't cite Viney then I'll eat a whole pizza.

It won’t even get a mention. It should, but it won’t

No injury, no media noise, no action because it’ll go underneath the radar

I find it annoying how when a 50/50 free kick goes our way the commentators chime in with the "Noise of Affirmation" crap. Even Papalia who is not a Victorian. It has already been mathematically proven that there is no statistically significant difference between the free kicks for and against for us when playing at home. In fact the free kick count was 22 to 16 against us yesterday and they were still bringing it up.

I think Clark is being judged way too harshly, he was far from our worst and is being played out of position. More opportunities to be physical and shoot out those quick handballs is all we really need from him IMO. I'd suggest watching his game again below and then make judgement

He went at 93% disposal efficiency. Thought he was ok without standing out.

Don't have the advanced stats to make it super useful (hitouts to advantage ect.), but did a quick comparison of Bailey Williams stats against his main opponents stats (excluded r1 as they had no main ruck, except hitouts which I calculated as Greenwood + Comben)

SEASON AVERAGES: HO D TC CP CM

BBW. 22.5 12 3.3 6.8 0.3

Opponent. 36.8 19.7 5.7 11.7 0.7

Not killing it, but considering the rucks he's played against (Darcy, Grundy AA-level rucks, Flynn about 3 years of development ahead of Bailey) not many complaints. Only really disappointing game so fair was r1, where he really failed to press his advantage against very inexperienced non-ruckmen. Not sure if he'll make it, but ticks so far, and justifying his place on the list.

(Apologies for formatting, on iPhone and not sure how to fix)

Oliver will go close to the Brownlow this year, best mid in the game

Ginbey and Culley got a front row view of this and they will learn from it

Ginbey, Culley and Hewett just got an introduction to what we hope they become in another 5 years.

Ginbey on Oliver was great. Ginbey tagging a ball magnet gets him involved and he's quick enough to stay with most big mids. And lay a tackle, or swoop on a loose ball.

Felt Culley learned alot. He got in there close and lockrd alot of ball in. Was first to it but tackled with no prior so another ball up. In time he will get stronger and learn to break free and dish it off.

Tough day at work for our kids but I bet they enjoyed the challenge.

I think Clark is being judged way too harshly, he was far from our worst and is being played out of position. More opportunities to be physical and shoot out those quick handballs is all we really need from him IMO. I'd suggest watching his game again below and then make judgement

He is most definatly not being played in his prefered and best position IMO.

Clark should play on ball, centre. One thing I did notice is he doesnt have great pace or high level speed. He does have great endurance.

Good tackler, great intent and decent skills. Needs to be moved closer to the action but we have kids we want to develop there.
Þ
I really hope he gets a chance to play on ball for a decent amount of time.

Last edited:
He is most definatly not being played in his prefered and best position IMO.

Clark should play on ball, centre. One thing I did notice is he doesnt have great pace or high level speed. He does have great endurance.

Good tackler, great intent and decent skills. Needs to be moved closer to the action but we have kids we want to develop there.

I really hope he gets a chance to play one ball for a decent amount of time.
If he held onto a couple of those contested marks and snuck that goal though he would've been listed as one of our best. He's only played like 8 or 9 games? Just needs a run at a few consecutive games to build some form.

It's early in the season but Tim Kelly is having a career best year. Averaging highest disposals (29) and going at a goal a game.

Whenever I wake up feeling a little bit down or just not quite right I have one sure fire way to cheer myself up.
I make myself a coffee and then just hop on over to read the Cockburn Vent thread for a bit. After reading it for 5 or 10 minutes the sky seems bluer, the grass seems greener, the air smells fresher and I think to myself, you know what, life could be worse.

28 years without a flag and counting lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmo said that having Sheed and Shuey in there helps the young kids. Tend to agree Yeo, Sheed, Shuey, Kelly and Gaff plus whatever kids we are pumping games into is preferable to the current situation.
I like Sheed and Gaffs been better last two weeks but I don’t think that helps as much tbf. they both play more like 3rd/4th on ballers and I’d say their the ones competing with the kids. Yeo/Shuey are more of the extractors of first recieve types that are able to take the load of the likes of TK and Ginbey

I like Sheed and Gaffs been better last two weeks but I don’t think that helps as much tbf. they both play more like 3rd/4th on ballers and I’d say their the ones competing with the kids. Yeo/Shuey are more of the extractors of first recieve types that are able to take the load of the likes of TK and Ginbey
I think naturally as the form of Ginbey, Chesser, Hewett, Edwards and Culley improves the incumbents will lose their spots. Definitely missed Shuey this weekend past.

Was happy with Clarke and Petrevski-Seton they are doing there job
Culley we need to persist with along with Hough

Drop

Edwards dont like at all so soft at the footy and is very one paced
Connor West looked to small though tackled well but didnt impact
Hewitt endurance is a problem like to see him playing wafl racking 25+ a few weeks then bring him back,
make him play 95% game time at wafl level then when he has adjusted bring him back

What I like about Luke Edwards is his evasiveness and composure in tight. It’s Pendlebury like how he somehow manages to find space without panicking

Made a very good pass under pressure to SPS in the 3rd quarter- unfortunately Samo dropped the mark he’d normally swallow and it resulted in a turnover that cost us a goal

There’s definitely something to work with

And no, I’m not suggesting he’s even close to being as good as Pendlebury

Simmo said that having Sheed and Shuey in there helps the young kids. Tend to agree Yeo, Sheed, Shuey, Kelly and Gaff plus whatever kids we are pumping games into is preferable to the current situation.

From the first few games both Sheed and Gaff have been calling for the handball received from our rookies way too much to the point it's detrimental to the play. Both of them are experienced enough to know just coz you're open doesn't mean you should get the ball. Thankfully Long doesn't give a s**t and has made his own decisions a few times.

What I like about Luke Edwards is his evasiveness and composure in tight. It’s Pendlebury like how he somehow manages to find space without panicking

Made a very good pass under pressure to SPS in the 3rd quarter- unfortunately Samo dropped the mark he’d normally swallow and it resulted in a turnover that cost us a goal

There’s definitely something to work with

And no, I’m not suggesting he’s even close to being as good as Pendlebury

You're correct. Despite not being fleet afoot he does have an extra half second to assess and dispose of the ball. Colloquially we as football fans describe that as 'Pendlebury-like', or if you want to get truly disgusting then 'Diesel-like' as that's the best way to get the idea across despite him not being on either of those player's levels.

Yet.

Haven't seen the game*, but based on Rounds 2 and 3 (and previous years) I just can't see why Gaff is spending so much time in the midfield. In Round 1 he played pure wing I thought it was the best game he had played in a long time.

So did Gaff actually play well against the Demons? I'm reading quite a few articles praising his performance but not sure if they've just superficially watched the game then had a look at the stats sheet and seen Gaff got 24 possies... Viewing the game through that sort of prism I can definitely see how you'd think he was playing well...

* debating whether to subject myself to it. I said to myself even though we're destined for a bottom four finish, I would watch all of our games this year but that's a lot easier said than done, especially when I'm based in the UK and a lot of games are 7am on a Sunday morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back