Autopsy Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Wilkie showing him up making him look bad

I think that's it, the whole defence looks better but Wilkie is looking like Alex Rance so everyone looks like a GOP in comparison down back.

I think that's it, the whole defence looks better but Wilkie is looking like Alex Rance so everyone looks like a GOP in comparison down back.
if you're rating our tall Backs I would have it Wilkie - Battle then Howard but the whole back 6/7 are working great as a team. Its the best defensive team in the league at the minute and Howard is doing his bit

But i do find it funny he hasn't taken 1 kick out this year

if you're rating our tall Backs I would have it Wilkie - Battle then Howard but the whole back 6/7 are working great as a team. Its the best defensive team in the league at the minute and Howard is doing his bit

Took a kickout against GoldCoast was the first one I noticed

Took a kickout against GoldCoast was the first one I noticed
I saw that one. Hopefully RTB gave him a spray! Pretty sure I saw Paton taking one too.

In all seriousness, it’s clear that Sinc, Hill and Nas are the designated kickers. And it’s paying dividends with us being the best transition team in the comp. No more Dougal bombs to the flank. It’s all about short kicks, handball receives, repeat and rinse until we get it up the other end. It’s working a treat so far.

I saw that one. Hopefully RTB gave him a spray! Pretty sure I saw Paton taking one too.

In all seriousness, it’s clear that Sinc, Hill and Nas are the designated kickers. And it’s paying dividends with us being the best transition team in the comp. No more Dougal bombs to the flank. It’s all about short kicks, handball receives, repeat and rinse until we get it up the other end. It’s working a treat so far.

At the ground you see how much harder the rest of the field is working. Plenty of times the guys kicking out had to kick to a stagnant pack last few years. Guys like Butler and Byrnes are up spreading and running around to create a decoy for the opposition to have to cover and we can isolate a marker now.

At the ground you see how much harder the rest of the field is working. Plenty of times the guys kicking out had to kick to a stagnant pack last few years. Guys like Butler and Byrnes are up spreading and running around to create a decoy for the opposition to have to cover and we can isolate a marker now.
Move it out with ease now

For sure. Wood is a prime example. He’s always finding space as an outlet because the oppo can’t keep up with him. Takes them into deep water!

I think with every game we win without them their return dates are being pushed back so that they can get fitter and fitter before they return.

When any of them return we can probably take it as a given that they’ll be fit af, and of course nice and fresh for the remainder of the season.

So if the young ones start to tire, we can replace them with rock-hard fit experienced guys, who are hungry to play.

Plus of course we can expect to keep getting injuries, so a lot of them will slot back in replacing someone who’s injured. Then it will be their spot to lose.
Who says the returning players will be better? For all we know they’re actually quite s**t now especially with time off and a new system they haven’t played.

King Steele and membrey exceptions. They might have drifted out to GOP status and the new kids are better now. Snooze you lose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RTB obviously read Big Footy last year.

Strange one, but did anyone notice late in the game that Cordy ran off the field for an interchange but didn’t go through the prescribed lines ?.

I am sure it happened but can’t review the vision.

I’d bring membrey straight back in, he’s been better than what people give him credit for I think, particularly with how dysfunctional the entries have been for basically all of his career. Obviously King and Steele straight back in.

Billing’s and Coffield will get their chance.

I’m not sure how far away Jones and McKenzie are but I’d like to see them get a chance also. I look forward to seeing Hotton too.

It’s gonna be exciting to see these guys filter in, there will be some unlucky players missing out and perhaps guys given a week off to rest which will be an advantage of this injury situation right now and with the wins on the board.

Could be an exciting season
We're going to have some REALLY good tactical subs for the rest of the season ... I won't be surprised if we see a rotation of the young guns so that they play time at the top level, while also getting some dominant games in for Sandy, without getting burned out.

In all probability, most players, especially the ones who have been around a little while and can compare, can see the vast chasm in coaching nous between what we had and what we have now. Players are not stupid, pretty sure they can see when a game plan is not working.

RTB just has an aura about him as a very successful coach ( and he is, lack of a premiership notwithstanding) and they know that he knows what he is talking about. And if they didn’t, they certainly do now after the past 4 rounds. Especially when Saints legends, sitting next to him on the coaching box, obviously have a tremendous amount of respect for him.

After a decade of pretenders, we now have a contender.
To back up this point, have a look at what Jono Brown and Bucks say about RTB on, on the couch. They also insinuated that you need a coach with a big auro in the smaller clubs (they were talking about gold coast) because you cant drive standards enough without a big time coach as you risk losing players.

i.e., if stuart dew gives a young kid a rocket for not being fit enough after christmas, they may crack it and look for the door. but if a big aura coach like RTB does it, its less likely the kid will get the shits purely because its coming from a big swinging dick like RTB.

I feel like that may have been us under Ratts and Richo. They couldnt really drive standards because they were worried about upsetting the playing group.

Membrey comes straight in

We are 17th for converting our inside 50 entire into scores
True bird 17th for shots taken per i50 yet 7th for goal per inside 50.

I wonder if this is a result of the defensive game plan atm or unsustainably lucky.

Not arguing skunk straight in especially when we are scraping for a sub.

To back up this point, have a look at what Jono Brown and Bucks say about RTB on, on the couch. They also insinuated that you need a coach with a big auro in the smaller clubs (they were talking about gold coast) because you cant drive standards enough without a big time coach as you risk losing players.

i.e., if stuart dew gives a young kid a rocket for not being fit enough after christmas, they may crack it and look for the door. but if a big aura coach like RTB does it, its less likely the kid will get the shits purely because its coming from a big swinging dick like RTB.

I feel like that may have been us under Ratts and Richo. They couldnt really drive standards because they were worried about upsetting the playing group.

Absolutely insane that they didn’t look at Lyon and Clarko. The AFL needs to step in.

Interesting mix

Coach 1
Owens
Sinclair
Wilkie
Higgins
Crouch

Coach 2
Sinclair
Higgins
Owens
Crouch
Ross

I'm going with Coach 1 being our coaching panel but I'm not an ITK more your NFI.
I’m going with Coach 2 being ours.

Sinclair was enormous., especially when he went into the midfield.
Obviously Owens was fantastic but I reckon RTB really rates Seb’s leadership and would have included him, his game was very good.
Of course, so was Wilkies….so yes, hard to figure out which list was which coach.

Absolutely insane that they didn’t look at Lyon and Clarko. The AFL needs to step in.
Does seem to be drifting into another lost season at this stage. Surely at some stage Bing gets going and helps them to a few wins. He's been hard to watch so far. And not sure Chol playing ressies does anything for them, needs to be playing.

Could easily see them playing Freo into some form this weekend and finding themselves at one from five with a sh*t percentage, finals chances just about shot already.

I think they already tried stepping in, sending rocket there.
And the other thing is neither Lyon or clarko wanted to go to QLD, think romance of their former clubs was a big factor for them over money too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back