Autopsy Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they already tried stepping in, sending rocket there.
And the other thing is neither Lyon or clarko wanted to go to QLD, think romance of their former clubs was a big factor for them over money too.
The issue is location.

It isn’t strong enough of an AFL landscape to create the environment they need.

Send the club to Tassie and I think you might create a force.

Gold Coast need a sh*t hot coach that has them winning games. They need to play finals.

The need to become a good football team. Then they can start to build.

It won't happen with Dew.

Last edited:
In many respects, this was the most laudable performance of the season so far. It was an expected win, where the game turned after a slow start, where we just sort of destroyed the opposition with system, effort, and confidence in those two things.
It definitely felt the most convincing, I thought. We just seemed in total control of the game once we got it on our terms. Even when we weren't kicking goals, we looked threatening and didn't look like conceding.

Does seem to be drifting into another lost season at this stage. Surely at some stage Bing gets going and helps them to a few wins. He's been hard to watch so far. And not sure Chol playing ressies does anything for them, needs to be playing.

Could easily see them playing Freo into some form this weekend and finding themselves at one from five with a sh*t percentage, finals chances just about shot already.
i don't understand why Bing didn't play in the Reserves for a couple of games and Chol sould be in the seniors.

Phillipou with 55% and Owens with 62% contested possession rates this year. Our two highest in that stat. Both shaping as absolute contested beasts.

Phillipou looks like he's got brilliant hands in congested situations. Has already established an ability to get it in a contested situation, get the hands up and release someone with a quick, short handball. He's playing a role that makes it difficult to dominate as a first year player, but he'll do his role most weeks and have a few games this year where he dominates. He looks special.

The issue is location.

I agree in part but Brisbane dont seem to have the same trouble. All professional teams based on the Gold Goast have basically failed, it is such a fickle environment. There are plenty of ex-pats from AFL states, but the majority of locals are NRL people. Then the AFL builds a stadium where there is no parking and the public transport on the Gold Coast is ordinary, they basically set them up to fail. I have a number of AFL following friends up there who basically refuse to go the GCS games because of the parking issues. With the Olympic Games going to Brisbane in future years perhaps the government will spend the money on the stadium and address the lack parking infrastructure.

The other issue they faced was branding their team the 'Suns' and chosing the playing strip they did. What do you think the rugby public thought of that? It was a marketing disaster and was hardly going to turn rusted on rugby supporters to a team that looks like they are running around in hi-vis council outfits. A lot of Rugby people (ignorantly) see AFL as not a real mans game and the Suns playing strip just feeds into that perception. Queenslanders are very patriotic about their state, so I would have used their Queensland maroon in the Suns outfit.

They have more than enough talent on their list and should be playing finals every year, but as you suggested Stavro the environment is not AFL based and the club is very poorly coached and run. Having said that they are not alone in a lot of the errors they have made.

Last edited:
The issue is location.

AFL involvement is higher than SA and Tas combined

sports teams on the GC have traditionally struggled for attendance etc.

but GC themselves are helping grow football up there, which has been a massive success

They should have moved north to GC.
Part of the success of swans and lions is half their members are Victorian.
Winning also helps get kids interested.

I think GC are in a bad place, both them and gws ppl say so many stars they should be competing but they are both top heavy and weak bottom 6 players/depth.
Reminds me of us post-Lyon 1.0.

I think GC are in a bad place, both them and gws ppl say so many stars they should be competing but they are both top heavy and weak bottom 6 players/depth.

people will hate me for saying this... but just give them two signed players out of the salary cap.

player managers who wanna cash in will love it. players might like it too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people will hate me for saying this... but just give them two signed players out of the salary cap.

player managers who wanna cash in will love it. players might like it too.

Sad thing is, if they win a grand final with that sort of system they get one of these... *

Membrey comes straight in

We are 17th for converting our inside 50 entire into scores
To me this is what’s scary, there is still plenty of upside in scoring potency.

Cordy for King as the only change would make a massive difference. Opposition are still taking plenty of intercept marks (in my eyes) and King is excellent at bringing it to ground. We are also getting 1:1 looks in the forward 50, and king will slay everyone 1:1.
King kicked 52 goals last year with us moving the ball slow and bombing it in….

Make them successful and people will come. Sydney had no real interest until they became a good side. They should have made the Southport Sharks the side to get the licence. They literally had their own superpower local club going and chose to ignore it.

Good evening everyone. I hope you enjoyed last Saturday night.

Kind regards
MO

While I'd love to chat with the real Mitch Owens I'd implore him not to come on here. It's like dangling your legs in a crocodile pit. We're animals.

While I'd love to chat with the real Mitch Owens I'd implore him not to come on here. It's like dangling your legs in a crocodile pit. We're animals.
Especially with Mowman around. He’d never see the light of day again. Trapped in the “special place” behind the false door in the back shed.

To me this is what’s scary, there is still plenty of upside in scoring potency.

Cordy for King as the only change would make a massive difference. Opposition are still taking plenty of intercept marks (in my eyes) and King is excellent at bringing it to ground. We are also getting 1:1 looks in the forward 50, and king will slay everyone 1:1.
King kicked 52 goals last year with us moving the ball slow and bombing it in….

Yep, right now Caminiti is drawing the main defenders.
King +Caminiti+Membrey is just going to leave them short.
Owens and Pou good enough at ground level to be our small defenders, and they can rotate through the mid.

Yep, right now Caminiti is drawing the main defenders.
King +Caminiti+Membrey is just going to leave them short.
Owens and Pou good enough at ground level to be our small defenders, and they can rotate through the mid.
Yep, except I’m inclined to run two talls not three….

Love what Hammer is doing but can’t find space for them all.

It’s my biggest question on the team, does RTB structure demand 2 or 3 talls?

Yep, except I’m inclined to run two talls not three….

Love what Hammer is doing but can’t find space for them all.

It’s my biggest question on the team, does RTB structure demand 2 or 3 talls?

Is Membrey, Owens or Phillipou a tall?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back