Autopsy Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of weird kinky sh1t going on in that dungeon 😱

SSxBiz9.jpg

Make them successful and people will come. Sydney had no real interest until they became a good side. They should have made the Southport Sharks the side to get the licence. They literally had their own superpower local club going and chose to ignore it.
I once had the good fortune to ask Bluey McKenna about the Suns.
Very instructive answer: needless to say he is not a fan.

While I'd love to chat with the real Mitch Owens I'd implore him not to come on here. It's like dangling your legs in a crocodile pit. We're animals.
Pa-lease. I eat posters like you lot for choshoku and opposition players for yushoku.

In case you’re wondering, I eat monster trucks for ranchi to ensure a balanced diet.

I once had the good fortune to ask Bluey McKenna about the Suns.
Very instructive answer: needless to say he is not a fan.
Have heard similar comments from Rocket Eade in a private setting. Lot of issues at that club. Apparently Gil offered Clarko the moon to go there and he had agreed but the GC Board wanted Dew to stay. Huge mistake

people will hate me for saying this... but just give them two signed players out of the salary cap.

player managers who wanna cash in will love it. players might like it too.
Issue isn't talent, it's culture. No quick fix, just get a proven competitor who commands respect and is non negotiable. Leigh Matthews at Brisbane and Ross Lyon at Freo two successful examples, Blight at Adelaide another. Sheedy was too old when GWS took him.

Worsfold?
Roos?
Ayres?
Matthews?

AFL needs to sort it out

All forwards fit and available:

HF: Owens Membrey Gresham
FF: Higgins King Butler

Owens to back up ruck. There’s no way I’d be messing with what Owens is doing up forward to fit in extra talls when it’s a ground ball game these days. If he’s having a quiet game sure throw him in the middle for a bit but until then leave him where he’s playing well. He’s an impossible match up.

Caminiti unlucky but he’ll be back in at some stage.

Max and Membrey for Cordy and Caminiti. I’m guessing we wouldn’t be 17th for scores once I50 anymore.

All forwards fit and available:

HF: Owens Membrey Gresham
FF: Higgins King Butler

Owens to back up ruck. There’s no way I’d be messing with what Owens is doing up forward to fit in extra talls when it’s a ground ball game these days. If he’s having a quiet game sure throw him in the middle for a bit but until then leave him where he’s playing well. He’s an impossible match up.

Caminiti unlucky but he’ll be back in at some stage.

Max and Membrey for Cordy and Caminiti. I’m guessing we wouldn’t be 17th for scores once I50 anymore.
I would want to see King and Membrey have a run at Sandy after such long layoffs, but young players know the more senior or star players will come back, and they may have to make way.

What did he have to say?
If you remove the natural angst from being sacked, pretty much everything was wrong up there. What people tend to forget is that Bluey had them just as close to finals back then as now, without the resources.
Inexperienced decision makers, poor business strategy, poor human resources, poor management of same, failure to support football off field team (coaches etc), failure to support players, the list goes on.
The key for him though is the performance and lack of support from the List Manager. Whoever that was. The year prior to getting the flick there was an internal argument about list direction. Bluey did not want anymore gifted kids, he had enough. He wanted and needed experience, and was prepared to trade for them.
He lost the argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would want to see King and Membrey have a run at Sandy after such long layoffs, but young players know the more senior or star players will come back, and they may have to make way.

I don't think that established KPPs get as much out of VFL as Rucks and Smalls do, can't see either playing for Sandy.

We drafted Owens as a mid and i don't doubt he'll end up there at some point.

I actually think that that might have been why we got him cheap, he wasn't really a mid or forward or wing. He was kind of a jack of all trades in his TAC year. A bit of a multipurpose utility type, he even rucked at the Dragons at times after growing 15cm from being a forward pocket. When he played mid or wing he looked excellent but he certainly didn't play it consistently.

I actually think that that might have been why we got him cheap, he wasn't really a mid or forward or wing. He was kind of a jack of all trades in his TAC year. A bit of a multipurpose utility type, he even rucked at the Dragons at times after growing 15cm from being a forward pocket. When he played mid or wing he looked excellent but he certainly didn't play it consistently.

Usually if i read something like this retrospectively i end up thinking there was a lot of mayo spread on that.
This one seems to ring pretty true.

I agree in part but Brisbane dont seem to have the same trouble. All professional teams based on the Gold Goast have basically failed, it is such a fickle environment. There are plenty of ex-pats from AFL states, but the majority of locals are NRL people. Then the AFL builds a stadium where there is no parking and the public transport on the Gold Coast is ordinary, they basically set them up to fail. I have a number of AFL following friends up there who basically refuse to go the GCS games because of the parking issues. With the Olympic Games going to Brisbane in future years perhaps the government will spend the money on the stadium and address the lack parking infrastructure.

The other issue they faced was branding their team the 'Suns' and chosing the playing strip they did. What do you think the rugby public thought of that? It was a marketing disaster and was hardly going to turn rusted on rugby supporters to a team that looks like they are running around in hi-vis council outfits. A lot of Rugby people (ignorantly) see AFL as not a real mans game and the Suns playing strip just feeds into that perception. Queenslanders are very patriotic about their state, so I would have used their Queensland maroon in the Suns outfit.

They have more than enough talent on their list and should be playing finals every year, but as you suggested Stavro the environment is not AFL based and the club is very poorly coached and run. Having said that they are not alone in a lot of the errors they have made.
The Brisbane Bears had all sorts of issues, bringing back the lions though, fixed it.

Thank Covid for that. He was a classic late bloomer. Was a late in for a vic metro game and was close to best on had like 20 and a couple of goals. Then NTTAWWT the season was over. The trajectory of those types of players is generally quite possitive towards the end of their 18th year.

Issue isn't talent, it's culture. No quick fix, just get a proven competitor who commands respect and is non negotiable. Leigh Matthews at Brisbane and Ross Lyon at Freo two successful examples, Blight at Adelaide another. Sheedy was too old when GWS took him.

Worsfold?
Roos?
Ayres?
Matthews?

AFL needs to sort it out

i tend to agree problem is those guys dont grow on trees.

i think they need to plant an experienced coach up there but also couple that with two genuinely elite players. think top 10 in the comp best.

Usually if i read something like this retrospectively i end up thinking there was a lot of mayo spread on that.

That is a great write up, everything described matches up with what I've seen him do in the seniors.

Really got lucky that covid stopped him ascending up the draft boards ala Bont, would have been shattered to watch this bloke do what he's currently doing for another side.

I always rated his older brother from when he played at Sandy Zebs. He was too short for ruck but was a competitor and he ended up at Frankston as a forward, he's a guy that if he'd been 2 meters tall would have been a gun ruck. Lots of similar traits to Mitch with his competitiveness and adaptability.

I kept an eye on Mitch and thought he would be a decent player but thought that the might have a higher bust factor than Windy. Mitch has turned out to be the real surprise packet of his year. He just has it factor.

The Brisbane Bears had all sorts of issues, bringing back the lions though, fixed it.

Becoming a consistently good side built them an audience. Gold Coast should have paid Ross Lyon or a big time coach to guide them. The talent is there but the guidance isn't.

I always rated his older brother from when he played at Sandy Zebs. He was too short for ruck but was a competitor and he ended up at Frankston as a forward, he's a guy that if he'd been 2 meters tall would have been a gun ruck. Lots of similar traits to Mitch with his competitiveness and adaptability.

I kept an eye on Mitch and thought he would be a decent player but thought that the might have a higher bust factor than Windy. Mitch has turned out to be the real surprise packet of his year. He just has it factor.

You were probably right, he's a bit outside the norm, and its probably why he slid to second round.
Bust factor doesn't mean bust certainty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back