AFL Toast Round 4: 22 Point win against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to do this every week.

Maybe Myers best game?

Guelfi didn't look out of place at all. Has a crack and runs both ways.

They tagged Champagne Ham #5 but he still had influence and another 10+ tackles i like the boy!

Jake Stringer has arrived - you could see the desire....he was demanding the footy...take note Joe!!!!

J-Stew and Guelfi might be 2 best steals ever in 5 years time

Well when you kick effectively out of defence and therefore don't gift the opposition scores then it usually means a better day - In saying that our field kicking in the forward half can be improved.

Just watching the match now (currently in Zambia!); not sure if it's been mentioned but the umpiring was putrid! So many missed calls. Port definitely had the rub of the green. Or am I completely off with that assessment?
Nah, we got a few lucky ones too.

Steady on. We've won 16 premierships and it's a bit much to say this was better than at least 14 of them!
haha! yeah, upon sober reflection i may have got caught up in the excitement of it all. But definitively one of the best i’ve attended with my son

Begley was great in the first quarter and when the heat is on. Hits the packs hard and creates opportunities for those on the outside. Same for Stringer.

Joe D is still running too far under the ball. Needs to stop and prop and then mark. This will draw some of those frees he is looking for from behind and he will mark more. Could be just timing which can easily click, hopefully next week!
He is more often than not double teamed inside 50. Needs to lead and run more to find some easier marks on the lead. Our ball movement stifles when he and Stewart become stagnant. They both just need to move more. Up and down the ground or laterally, just get moving. No more standing in one spot waving your hand in the air.

Baguley was great. He sets the standard for commitment and putting your body on the line. We are a better team for having him in.

Just watching the match now (currently in Zambia!); not sure if it's been mentioned but the umpiring was putrid! So many missed calls. Port definitely had the rub of the green. Or am I completely off with that assessment?
I didn't notice the umps much personally. Don't remember any putrid calls.

Hooker forward was necessary given our lack of tall forwards a few years back. Fast forward to late 2017 and early 2018 we have Daniher and Stewart available as quality KPFs with a more than handy 3rd tall in Jake Stringer.

Is there a need for Hooker forward any longer?

First impressions of the backline with Hurley, Hooker and Hartley says no. Hartley plays a lock down role, both Hooker and Hurley can play on a direct opponent or as an intercept defender depending on matchups.

We also don't look as top heavy. Yes, we are a bit more top heavy in defence but it doesn't seem to be exposed to the extent a top heavy forward line was. By chasing and harrassing out of the forward line through the midfield the pressured kicks and long bombs into the opposition forward line play into the hands of Hurley/Hooker/Hartley.

The balance looked a hell of a lot better. It'll be interesting to see if the match committee maintain it, and how it functions against differing setups in differing conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure whys some on here are questioning the umpiring. The game was actually pretty consistently adjudicated.

I think they might have been slightly ahead in free kicks but it was barely noticeable.

The umpires seem to forget illegal disposal/htb was actually a rule. But they did it consistently and for both sides so i didn't mind it

Hooker forward was necessary given our lack of tall forwards a few years back. Fast forward to late 2017 and early 2018 we have Daniher and Stewart available as quality KPFs with a more than handy 3rd tall in Jake Stringer.

Is there a need for Hooker forward any longer?

First impressions of the backline with Hurley, Hooker and Hartley says no. Hartley plays a lock down role, both Hooker and Hurley can play on a direct opponent or as an intercept defender depending on matchups.

We also don't look as top heavy. Yes, we are a bit more top heavy in defence but it doesn't seem to be exposed to the extent a top heavy forward line was. By chasing and harrassing out of the forward line through the midfield the pressured kicks and long bombs into the opposition forward line play into the hands of Hurley/Hooker/Hartley.

The balance looked a hell of a lot better. It'll be interesting to see if the match committee maintain it, and how it functions against differing setups in differing conditions.
I want to see it a few weeks to see what sort of consistency we get out of it.

Not sure whys some on here are questioning the umpiring. The game was actually pretty consistently adjudicated.

I think they might have been slightly ahead in free kicks but it was barely noticeable.

The umpires seem to forget illegal disposal/htb was actually a rule. But they did it consistently and for both sides so i didn't mind it
Umpiring was fine, except the Saad HTB free kick when he bounced it. I didn't see a replay at the ground but I swear he bounced it BEFORE his jumper was held, then he completed the bounce while being held, broke free and kicked the goal that was disallowed. Anyone who watched from home/has seen a replay, is that how it happened?

Umpiring was fine, except the Saad HTB free kick when he bounced it. I didn't see a replay at the ground but I swear he bounced it BEFORE his jumper was held, then he completed the bounce while being held, broke free and kicked the goal that was disallowed. Anyone who watched from home/has seen a replay, is that how it happened?
Yes, to my eyes.

At the time I thought it was a free but when I watched the replay you'd be correct.

To everyone’s eyes except the umpire’s.

One thing I spotted a few times at the ground yesterday was Hurley & Hooker having a chat about things & having a laugh at one stage. Yes Hooker isnt the fastest defender going around & will get exposed now & then but he also has the smarts to read the play & make the right decisions. It just looked right having the 2 of them back there.

The desire to hold onto the ball when in the middle of the ground and going that wide I thought we would end up in Sunshine was a source of immense frustration. Lets be attacking and positive and go through the guts.

Also on a side note, the moronic supporters in the vicinity of where I was sitting with the verbal spew coming out of their mouth was as hard to handle as what you read on BF daily. I understand that you have left your wife/child at home and are off the leash for a few hours but I am sure we don't need to hear you give a play by play commentary about why it wasn't a free to essendon when your knowledge of the rules or general footy play is clearly lacking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back