Team Captain
Mar 3, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Crucial Injuries

Adams has done his knee.

Elliot out for 3 months.

Sier injured, De Goey hurt finger again?

Time To Rip The Bandaid Off

1-3 and travelling to WC round 5 with zero inside mids, a weakened team and WC will bounce back hard, could be a 10 goal + loss.

So 2021 is essentially over, it is time to not even bother playing certain players we know will not help us to our next flag.

Here is a list of players that I personally do not see having what it takes to be a premiership player.

Cull List: Nothing personal against any of these players, I'm sure they are all great guys, this is purely based on current talent and potential ability moving forward.

Callum Brown - Enough is enough, there were multiple times tonight where he didn't go in hard. GWS player goes in hard, he shimmies out of the way. Too small, too weak, not enough talent to make up for his size/softness.

John Noble - Is not and never was AFL standard. I don't understand how it's possible for professional coaches/list managers to not see it when it's clear as day to me.

Jack Madgen - As long as players like Madgen are able to make the 22, we will never be a threat to win a GF. Might be harsh as he just played his best game for the club, he was tough and he gives his all every week. But he is another Jack Frost, deer in the headlights when the heat is on. Tonight he played more up the ground and looked good, better than Mayne in fact, but we all know Buckley is a * and will keep him down back where he is not suited. Make the tough call to move forward.

Trey Ruscoe - The kid is just too dumb, who tf was in charge of this selection. I have no doubt Buckley and the gang will persist and keep him on for another 3 seasons clogging the list.

Chris Mayne - The time has come, he has been a brave, solid player. However, he will not be in our next premiership team.

On The Edge: Wouldn't cull, but keep for depth.

Will Hoskin-Elliott - Oozes talent, we know that. Doesn't have killer instinct, doesn't go in hard EVER, goes missing A LOT. Skinny man and is fit, but not flashing speed to make up for it like Stephenson has.

Josh Thomas - Similar to WHE except Josh does go in hard, I love him, but putting love aside, which is what Buckley can't do, he is what he is and we know what we get. Depth.

Get Games Into Them NOW

Tyler Brown - Will be a great wingman when he fills out. 10cm taller than Callum, yet weighs the same, just needs another 7kg and a few more games.

Beau McCreery - Great debut, fantastic in fact. So much harder than Callum or WHE. 8 tackles in his first game! Most of any Collingwood player for the game. THANK YOU FINALLY, SOMEONE WITH BALLS AND ISN'T SCARED OF GETTING HIT. Why on earth has it taken this long for coaches to give the nod? Surely they could see that he should be picked ahead of players like Callum Brown and Ruscoe..... That is my point, they wait for far too long and give too many chances, f*<king make the call! Lock him in, 100+ gamer.

Jay Rantall - Where is he? Is the right size and age, surely we give him a taste and see what he can do.

Trent Bianco - Recovering from an injury but from what I hear, is slightly ahead of Rantall.

Will Kelly - Obviously an unlucky start, but has shown enough from the tiny snippet, looks like a backman to me, might be like Moore, starts forward but put him back and dominates.

The Future: I would say the future is bright, but these moves must happen now, no point waiting, it's painful to watch knowing every game is a waste by not giving the obvious future stars gametime.

Finlay Macrae - This kid needs to debut now. He's better than Sidebottom was at his age.

Reef McInnes - Reef could be anything, the AFL world is in awe of Nik Cox from the Bombers, 201cm athletic freak like Buddy. While Reef isn't 201cm, 192cm is still a great size, he has a massive frame and elite skills. Should be getting games ahead of those to be culled and on the edge imo.

Caleb Poulter - Will be a seriously good wingman, imagine if WHE had a spearing left foot pass and was hard at the footy, that is Poulter. Might no debut this year, but if I was coach, I would be getting games into him very soon.

Ollie Henry - Debut was hard to judge because the team's performance has been shocking. From all reports and from our sneak peek, he looks like a very similar player to Jamie Elliott. Imagine 2 Jamie Elliotts....... We can dream, right?

Nick Daicos - Scott Pendlbury 2.0? Well, that's what everyone who pays attention to the next crop is saying. Debut Round 1 2022.

Positives For 2021

Josh Daicos
- Wow, I wasn't sure from his first 20 games but holy moly, his finish to 2020 and start to this year, he has everything and then some. Elite finisher and deadly instincts around goal like his dad, still so young too, could become a 'game changer' player that only needs 5 minutes to rip a game apart.

Isaac Quaynor - Lock him in for the next 12 years as a small defender plz. Quaynor alongside Maynard for the next 8-10 years is exciting, no need for a 3rd small defender like Noble, sorry John, Isaac and Brayden are just better in every attribute.

Obviously, Moore is a positive, but we already know who are the players that have what it takes to make us team the rest of the comp fears and dreads playing.

TL|DR: Rip the bandaid off, cut our losses on players that don't quite have it, be it due to skill, size, hardness, just get games into the kids that will make us a force once again.

I stopped reading when you said Noble isn’t AFL standard.

He might be AFL standard in terms of making the 22 in a bottom 4 side..... which we are with players like Noble.
My point is, he isn't on a top 4 teams best 22 and he never will be, hard calls are what Buckley doesn't do. Look at Sydney right now, Horse dgaf, in his eyes if you aren't talented, you aren't on the list, simple. Sydney's kids are ahead of ours because Horse plays them. That isn't the case for Buckley, he keeps players like Jack Frost, Madgen and Noble playing games ahead of kids that stagnate in the VFL.

Basically 2021 was finished after we imploded after the Geelong loss in the qualifying final in 2020 and decided to jettison Treloar and Stephenson. Hine salvaged something from the train wreck in picking up some good young kids in the national draft but forcing them to dwell in VFL practice matches together with last year’s pickups in Randall, Bianco and Ruscoe, while perennial failures in Callum Brown, Thomas and WHE are still being gifted games is sending the wrong message to the team. And I’m at a loss to understand how a football department did nothing to correct an obvious forward line deficiency that since the 2018 GF is incapable of kicking a winning score against top teams. Richmond recruited Lynch. Geelong recruited Cameron. Who have we recruited to help out Mihocek? I could go on about how slow paced we are in the midfield as well. We have so many deficiencies at the moment. Perhaps the best thing about the GWS loss tonight is it forces the club to address the reality that currently we are nowhere near the class of the rest of the teams in the competition and we must now start playing more of our youth.

This year was always going to be difficult, with the crust of good players so thin after the clear out of marginal players and the salary cap skimming of the pace in our team. We had no scope to cover injuries and we have already had two crucial ones. The crust has already been broken.

We gave up our two paciest players and our best endurance runner at the very moment when the rules changed to favour these types. None of our recruits in the much touted batch are explosively pacy, and so the future does not look that bright to me.

Our game tactics are not the slow build up that many accuse us of, but are based on quick movement down field to players who have gotten free. The problem is that they rarely get free, if they do the passes are not great for the most part, and if they are contesting, they are not marking well enough. All of the teams we have played so far have engineered backline outnumbers most of the time, and have outmarked us when it has been an even contest. The passes to leads have been few and rarely in the undefendable class. Oppositions produce a few of these every game.

We have not been able to draft good healthy top 10 players for a long time, due to unlucky choices, poor choices or trading away choices. The Beams debacle epitomised the failures in our recruiting strategy, and we are going to pay heavily for that in the coming years.

Several years at the bottom loom. I don't see the coaching as the fault here, but the list management decisions are at the heart of our troubles. I have no knowledge of what machinations took place within the club over the last 7 or so years, but the group of people that made the bad decisions (rather than the unlucky ones) are responsible for our crash. I actually think that the coaching has been good to make what it did of what we had, with the exception of the person in charge of centre bounce work, who has mostly not done well.

With Pendlebury at the end, Sidebottom and Howe starting to decline, and replacements for these not in view with, not a sniff of a pacy small forward or winger it looks dire to me.

Harsh on Noble in my opinion. Madgen good honest citizen on minimum chips, good for depth. Trey deserves a few more opportunities before passing judgement. WHE and JT.. I’m oscillating between 1. Their papers are stamped and 2. Could they flourish under a new coach. Add Cal to WHE / JT list too. I really want them happy and playing well.

*BUMP

How's my cull list looking now eh?

Make this viral, Mayne cost us today, crucial tackles not held, disgusting act by bailing on a long ball inside GC 50, he steps out of the way, you are done old man, too many concussions made him scared.

Mayne is done, please, no more, we have Poulter in his first game going in harder, it's spirit breaking allowing Mayne to get a game ahead of others and do what he does. How can match committee pick Mayne ahead of Sier, despicable and disgraceful are not strong enough words for allowing this mess to continue.

C. Brown is not AFL standard.
J. Noble is not AFL standard.
J. Thomas is not AFL standard.
WHE is not AFL standard.

The longer these players are making the 22, the longer we are delaying getting 50+ games into kids with far greater talent.

Today was the first day I was thinking enough is enough with Bucks, omitting Rantall and giving Mayne a game, all this talk about 'it's not Bucks fault, all the leaders of the club have to take responsibility', BS, Bucks week after week is in charge of match selection and week after week FOR YEARS I am struggling to keep the vomit from coming up on a Thursday arvo when I see the selected 22.

*BUMP

How's my cull list looking now eh?

Make this viral, Mayne cost us today, crucial tackles not held, disgusting act by bailing on a long ball inside GC 50, he steps out of the way, you are done old man, too many concussions made him scared.

Mayne is done, please, no more, we have Poulter in his first game going in harder, it's spirit breaking allowing Mayne to get a game ahead of others and do what he does. How can match committee pick Mayne ahead of Sier, despicable and disgraceful are not strong enough words for allowing this mess to continue.

C. Brown is not AFL standard.
J. Noble is not AFL standard.
J. Thomas is not AFL standard.
WHE is not AFL standard.

The longer these players are making the 22, the longer we are delaying getting 50+ games into kids with far greater talent.

Today was the first day I was thinking enough is enough with Bucks, omitting Rantall and giving Mayne a game, all this talk about 'it's not Bucks fault, all the leaders of the club have to take responsibility', BS, Bucks week after week is in charge of match selection and week after week FOR YEARS I am struggling to keep the vomit from coming up on a Thursday arvo when I see the selected 22.

Bit harsh on Noble. Does his job reasonably as a “no.16 - 22” player on a team.

Can’t expect him to be more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back