Preview Round 4 - Changes/Prematch Discussion vs Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preuss kicked two first-half goals and played well as a key forward.

Apparently not what the club needed 'going forward'.

So we traded him for Dom Tyson.

(Tyson was omitted)

Todd Goldstein is about to turn 31 by the way.

I think Todd's turning 41.

Let me repeat: Preuss is not a number one ruckman and would be useless in our current team.

But how would he be if we had a different coach?

Preuss looked fit! Bit of a shame really! We were fleeced! Dom Tyson is s**t!

Anyway! Im not anticipating much this week which means we’ll bang home a 12 goal win!

My hopes

- Brad scott to have a ******* plan B for once.
- pittard and Jmac to play their last games in the blue n white unless every defender we have has at least 2 broken legs each
- jed to crush everyone
- ahern to say * you to brad with his sheer silk!
- ldu to continue his growth and maturity
- baily scott last minute call up
- BBB to kick straight
- Jack to kick straight
- Ben Jacobs hardens the * up

Preuss looked fit! Bit of a shame really! We were fleeced! Dom Tyson is s**t!

Anyway! Im not anticipating much this week which means we’ll bang home a 12 goal win!

My hopes

- Brad scott to have a ******* plan B for once.
- pittard and Jmac to play their last games in the blue n white unless every defender we have has at least 2 broken legs each
- jed to crush everyone
- ahern to say **** you to brad with his sheer silk!
- ldu to continue his growth and maturity
- baily scott last minute call up
- BBB to kick straight
- Jack to kick straight
- Ben Jacobs hardens the **** up

You haven't been watching if you want Pittard out.

If you read my suggested changes I completely agree with McKay going back to the twos to get some touch. Not sure how he is relevant to a discussion about Macmillan and McDonald though?

Well, as you said, we don’t have the depth to drop every out of form player, so McKay is priority over those two. I also think MacMillan’s form slump is completely over-stated.

Agree Tyson probably goes if you're going a mid for a mid, but I don't see why necessarily this had to happen. We're already ridiculously predictable with our centre square set-ups - why not add Jed to the mix, then play Ziebell 100% forward and rotate Higgins and Ahern through the middle and across half forward?

I was ok to accept Tyson while we had players injured, but he has not impressed. His kicking in a key midfield role has killed momentum so many times. Prefer Zuhaar at HF and Ahern/Higgins more time in the middle.

Agree Campbell had to go, but not sure what the purpose of dropping Wood is if you're going to then pick him without any form behind him. Larkey needs to be rewarded for 18 months of consistent VFL form.

Fair call. I didn’t see any of Wood’s VFL games, only heard the comment that his first half last week was good. Assume this change is all about mid, giving us mobility in the forward line that Larkey doesn’t have.

Not every change has to be like for like. Drop Turner, play Simpkin in Turner's role and then you don't have to drop Scott. Or even just drop Jy who has been woeful. Easy.

I would like to see Simpkin forward but thought he was better last week. Scott looks great, but after week 1 hasn’t set the world on fire. 9 and 12 possessions while playing some good time on the wing? If he was in our best, leave him in, but surely value in going back and racking up some big numbers in the VFL as the main man as part of his development?

I think McDonald can play a defensive role - it's just about discipline with him, and keeping his disposal and decision-making simple. No doubt he has lived a charmed selection life but without Williams and EVW available it's difficult to drop both he and Macmillan.

We don't have enough depth to drop every out of form player but we could at least drop one or two of the incumbents.
I'm not as down on Luke as others as he's fierce enough and he's got penetration in his kicking. I just don't think he's a defender. He's too attacking and he lacks leg speed. He allows too much separation with his man ball hunting and he's not quick enough getting back. I suspect it's a hangover from his junior days when he would have been the star player and those type of players just don't do defence. It's the midfield stoppages or bust for him.

Am I alone in wanting to have seen BOTH Campbell and Wood in the fwd line with Brown? Or Larkey and Wood?

Personally, I don't think any of that matters too much under the current tactical system.

Our forwards are getting suffocated because of the amount of handball chains that either stall or break down altogether.

Is anyone else still in shock that the terrible gameplan we saw in pre-season wasn't just a warm-up or tweak but was exactly what we planned to bring into the season proper? That not only did we have a bad gameplan we worked on all summer but that we singalled to the competition, two weeks in advance, that we were going to play an aggressive, handball heavy style that is easy to defend and that we don't have the players necessary to pull off?
Actually, no.

Doing something that was different, would have been a surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not as down on Luke as others as he's fierce enough and he's got penetration in his kicking. I just don't think he's a defender. He's too attacking and he lacks leg speed. He allows too much separation with his man ball hunting and he's not quick enough getting back. I suspect it's a hangover from his junior days when he would have been the star player and those type of players just don't do defence. It's the midfield stoppages or bust for him.

Fair. He's done some decent defensive roles in the past though - just needs to be made clear to him that's his ticket to a senior spot (obviously it won't be).

He didn't play as a #1 ruckman last night. He played as a key forward and pinch-hit in the ruck.

The question is, who is better at that role: Campbell or Preuss?

On exposed form, this is easy to answer.

And he did * all after quarter time with the same paper mache shoulder he had playing for us.

Personally I'm happy the midfield is finally right. Jed and Pauly in the middle is an opportunity to leave Cunners out of some centre bounces. I'd love to see a centre bounce set up of Jed, LDU, Pauly and Goldy a few times this week.

I would be interested in seeing Brown play the decoy role at times and plan to allow the likes of Thomas, Zurhaar and Ziebell to come in behind into space.

No need for a decoy. He runs under the ball as it is so plenty of space to run into by others if they want

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No need for a decoy. He runs under the ball as it is so plenty of space to run into by others if they want

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Forwards don't run under the ball they run onto it. If they run under it its because whoever kicked it to them kicked it too high.

Personally I'm happy the midfield is finally right. Jed and Pauly in the middle is an opportunity to leave Cunners out of some centre bounces. I'd love to see a centre bounce set up of Jed, LDU, Pauly and Goldy a few times this week.

Good call. Those boys at the bounce Cunners back in the action for stoppages seems the way forward.

How is Kelly going to fit in????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back