Autopsy Round 4 = Collingwood 60-90 GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

The pity is we are actually in a really good position to rebuild a little.

We could have lots of kids with established players still. There'd be losses for sure, but not embarrassing ones. With Pendles, Adams, Grundy, Sidey, Howe, Moore, Crisp, Mihochek, De Goey, and Maynard - playing kids around them would actually be a really good learning year... pity is even those dependable old players look horribly out of form too.

A terrible but not unexpected outcome. Leon Cameron must have thought thank fu** we are playing Collingwood this week. I know exactly what they are going to do. This was probably the worst GWS side we have played in four or five years and we were nothing short of pathetic. Zac Williams has left, Cameron has left, No Whitfield, No Davis, No Coniglio, Preuss, De Boer etc. We are a joke at the moment.

Our goals very rarely are from any system of play. It’s often just individual brilliance.

I don‘t know who is responsible from pre match planning and match ups and tactics throughout the game but IQ on Greene was never going to be a good match up.

We play slow, unskilled, boring football.

We will just have to ride this season out. It’s a write off. Hopefully two or three kids get blooded and develop. We get a new coach next season, finally recruit some proper tall forwards and develop a better game style.

I did not see a player running past the mark for a handball receive all night. We also went back and slowly kicked over the mark without fail.

It cannot be by chance that this slow play just “happened”, it had to be a coaching theme.

Have our coaches not been watching other games and seeing how the man on the mark rule is being exploited by other teams with fast play on football?

Ridiculously slow play on F50 entries - we mark on the flank, Coxy has a 1v1 in the square, we (Sidebottom) wait, assess other options for 5 seconds, then bomb it to Cox with an extra now right on him... Farking madness.

And the less said about squib Grundy the better. So fragile and gave nothing again when needed the most.

Happy with Beau’s effort, bring on the rest of the recruits, this season is done!

He doesn't direct his taps well or mix it up enough that where his part comes in, having a poor midfield or strategy is the other part.

Last night though he often looked a fumbly scared giant around mummy.
Grundy has lost his hard edge of his youth they over neutered him.

Give one of the mids a little wink beforehand as a heads up, then give it a big bash forward or to 10 or 2 for once just to mix it up and potentially give us a clean take away. But nah, win a ton of taps to nobody and point to the nothing stats to justify your club crippling salary.

In reality should never have been on him. If Bucks wants to inject some run and carry into the midfield I would have thought Quaynor was a better option than Magden. Was a very odd match up and turned out to be a very bad one.

Greens kicked 5 before on Maynard too.

At the start Quaynor was hurting green the other way, not a horrible lesson for Quaynor to learn from about paying more respect to your elite opponent.

As I said should of been moved at half time, and yes a midfield or wing role would be great or attacking running half back role.

I’m glad we lost. At least now Bucks will definitely leave at the end of this year or earlier.

If it takes a few smackings with players like Mayne, Madgen, Brown, WHE & JT in the team for us to get a new coach, I’ll deal with it.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Bucks can piss off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's amazing how many players GWS were missing and they still belted us. I think we would struggle against their seconds. Reminded me of that prelim with them missing so much quality.

We need to offload Grundy and his salary somehow and invest into decent midfielders/forwards.

I thought Noble was exposed last night. He had been playing well until last night, but was not often sighted and during his short stint on Greene he looked like a schoolboy trying to quell him. His lack of size and presence was on show. Not sure whether to take this game as a serious rating of his worth, yet it highlighted some of the doubts that exist on the worth of his overall game.

Last edited:
I thought Noble was exposed last night. He had been playing well until last night, but was not often sighted and during his short stint on Greene he looked like a schoolboy trying to quell him. His lack of size and presence was on show last night. Not sure whether to take this game as a serious rating of his worth, yet it highlighted some of the doubts that exist on the worth of his overall game.
He's one of the few who can seriously run, so we need him for now.

I did not see a player running past the mark for a handball receive all night. We also went back and slowly kicked over the mark without fail.

It cannot be by chance that this slow play just “happened”, it had to be a coaching theme.

Have our coaches not been watching other games and seeing how the man on the mark rule is being exploited by other teams with fast play on football?

Ridiculously slow play on F50 entries - we mark on the flank, Coxy has a 1v1 in the square, we (Sidebottom) wait, assess other options for 5 seconds, then bomb it to Cox with an extra now right on him... Farking madness.

And the less said about squib Grundy the better. So fragile and gave nothing again when needed the most.

Happy with Beau’s effort, bring on the rest of the recruits, this season is done!
Grundy is no squib,he is out there playing one of the most physically demanding sports there is,where as you are sitting behind a keyboard spanking the monkey.
I know which one out of the 2 takes courage and it’s not you

We are the slowest and most stubborn club.

It is like our coaches have zero foresight.....they almost assess the rule changes and game style as the season progresses and then may finally change......but by then the season is over. In the meantime we persist with this defence first mantra nonsense.

There needs to be a message at board level saying Nathan, we want our club to play an attractive brand of football that our fans want to watch. They want to see goals.

Graham Wright will move Grundy and that bullshit contract on at year end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back