Autopsy Round 4 = Collingwood 60-90 GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

He's on a million bucks a year. The bar needs to be set ridiculously high to justify that contract.
I'm a bit over hearing about the size of his contract. I think we must have our cap sorted, shouldn't be chasing free agents at the moment, so in my mind his wage is irrelevant for the next few years.

He's on a million bucks a year. The bar needs to be set ridiculously high to justify that contract.
Something tells me he will never reach the bar you have set.

How much is he getting?
More like $900k per year before the Covid cuts, so probably circa $850K now.

The issue is not what he gets paid a year it's the length of the contract, which really isn't a concern for this season.

slugger01

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
More like $900k per year before the Covid cuts, so probably circa $850K now.

The issue is not what he gets paid a year it's the length of the contract, which really isn't a concern for this season.
Is that figure knowledge that you have gained from somewhere, or is it your opinion?

When's the last time any senior coach was poached. When a new coach is appointed, it generally comes from the pool of afl assistants. I don't think there will be a shortage of interested assistants.
Ross Lyon? It’s more common now for senior coaches to have time out of the role (media, assistant coach) before gaining a second chance at another club.

Is that figure knowledge that you have gained from somewhere, or is it your opinion?
I've not seen the contract and the exact figures were not reported at the time (like in all cases). The more reputable journalists reported that the talk was at a figure approaching a million a year and that he would sacrifice some money for length of tenure. He ended up taking less, but for longer.

The media always report the highest possible figure and then run with it for the headlines. It's now basically accepted by the masses as "7 million for 7 years" because it sounds sexy and provokes a response. The Grundy blamers are now all over it and grasping that figure as the truth because it suits their argument.

slugger01

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've not seen the contract and the exact figures were not reported at the time (like in all cases). The more reputable journalists reported that the talk was at a figure approaching a million a year and that he would sacrifice some money for length of tenure. He ended up taking less, but for longer.

The media always report the highest possible figure and then run with it for the headlines. It's now basically accepted by the masses as "7 million for 7 years" because it sounds sexy and provokes a response. The Grundy blamers are now all over it and grasping that figure as the truth because it suits their argument.
Yep. Probably right, but my point was that your opinion is no worse or no better than others in how much he gets paid.
Only 3 entities know the amount with any certainty.. The club( who actually pays him), his management company (who collects a percentage of his pay) and his accountant 😁. Grundy himself would not know with any certainty... only what he is told by his management company and his accountant 😆😆😆

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see this game as a positive. Hopefully we have finally woken up to fact we are not contenders, not even for the eight this year and probably next.

Now let's start acting (selecting) teams based on that fact.

The decision regarding a coach can wait for now, but players who are not part of the future need to be transitioned out quickly. The future re players starts now, not the end of the year.

Pieohmy

Draftee
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some people are suggesting that we have no salary cap room.How on earth do they know this.?We just cleared about one quarter of our playing list last year.Are they saying that we were three million dollars over the cap last year?
Been pushing payments back for years to get people like Beams to the club and paying overs to almost everybody.
Treloar $900,000 please. Grundy $1000,000 for 7 years. Should have paid the former 600k and traded the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depending on whether you chose to retain or erase, i personally find it hard to erase, i have been stewing on this since Saturday night.
An average first quarter but no damage done, we have just dodged a bullet in that Finlayson misses a set shot.
There are about 19 seconds to go till quarter time, 19 seconds, Mayne has the been near the bounty at D50.
It's clear to each and every of the 29K at the ground and the 500 seagulls as well that there are 19 seconds left, even a Mayne 45 meter floater up the line hugging the boundary gets us to quarter time; but no, he decides to float a 15 meter inboard 45 kick that get cut off and chipped to Finlayson. The rest is history.
Even in a parallel universe you cannot coach such utter stupidity and yet again a coach is on the hook.
Sometimes, actually often, the best of game plans sometimes has to stand naked when players simply are unable to execute the skill or the decision.

Gabbo64

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2012
Bunbury WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
When we turn the page on this era we need some non negotiables in terms of contracts. There needs to be an upper limit on annual salary and length of contract. No exceptions. We re going to need to do this anyway to get out of our cap train wreck.
That's simple. A maximum % of full cap and a maximum number of years. Everybody knows their top earning capabilities before the start.

Pieohmy

Draftee
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty funny how much of a smashing Grundy has copped on here after 20 disposals - 14 of them contested. 5 clearances and 42 hitouts. I think we may be setting the bar at a ridiculous height.
A million a year for 7 years sets its own bar. Gawn and Naitanui wouldn’t be on anything like it and both have more impact than Grundy.

A million a year for 7 years sets its own bar. Gawn and Naitanui wouldn’t be on anything like it and both have more impact than Grundy.

NicNat was on similar money to Grundy - due to injuries he may not be anymore. Gawn is also supposedly on similar money to Grundy. Personally, I think it's ridiculous that anyone in a 22 man team game gets paid that percentage of the salary cap.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Pretty funny how much of a smashing Grundy has copped on here after 20 disposals - 14 of them contested. 5 clearances and 42 hitouts. I think we may be setting the bar at a ridiculous height.
Grundy set that bar himself when he asked for 1 mil. His stats are fine its his impact thats lacking.

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depending on whether you chose to retain or erase, i personally find it hard to erase, i have been stewing on this since Saturday night.
An average first quarter but no damage done, we have just dodged a bullet in that Finlayson misses a set shot.
There are about 19 seconds to go till quarter time, 19 seconds, Mayne has the been near the bounty at D50.
It's clear to each and every of the 29K at the ground and the 500 seagulls as well that there are 19 seconds left, even a Mayne 45 meter floater up the line hugging the boundary gets us to quarter time; but no, he decides to float a 15 meter inboard 45 kick that get cut off and chipped to Finlayson. The rest is history.
Even in a parallel universe you cannot coach such utter stupidity and yet again a coach is on the hook.
Sometimes, actually often, the best of game plans sometimes has to stand naked when players simply are unable to execute the skill or the decision.
Yep, but the coach picked this very limited player who takes forever to kick the ball and usually only about 15m when he does. Mayne is one of the reasons our scoring is so low. He lacks leg speed and also moves the ball too slowly by foot. The responsibility for this rightly sits with Buckley.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a bit over hearing about the size of his contract. I think we must have our cap sorted, shouldn't be chasing free agents at the moment, so in my mind his wage is irrelevant for the next few years.
You mean the next 6 or 7 years.
How can it be irrelevant??? If he is on $300kpa more than his value or output, then it is preventing the club from fixing major holes in it’s list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back