AFLW Round 4 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Perkins is just a hack. Players run circles around her and when she can't mark the footy she offers nothing

The ball movement has been even stodgier than I expected, Collingwood with 135 disposals and 18 I50s for only 3.2 is a big let off for North. Wouldn't even say the Kangas' backline has looked any better than last week either, in terms of setting up behind the ball.

Wanted to give it a proper go tonight at watching it. FMD this game is hard to watch, I feel sorry for the commentators trying to be engaged in the game. It is at least another 3-5 years off being watchable. Off to watch the NRL.

Both teams with 8 scoring shots like the Crows-Dockers game, totally misleading on each occasion although tonight was pretty much 0.5xspeed of that contest.

Collingwood perhaps saving up their 4 quarter efforts for when Brazill returns.

North Melbourne dropping Abbatangelo definitely backfired, but the upside of totally lacking polish in front of goal tonight is that there was no crack-papering going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a lacklustre North performance that was actually very reminiscent of the game against GWS last year in Launceston (6.1 d 2.7), Garner carried the team to a win that day but the overall effort was never gonna cut it against a team that matches up far better across the board.

And the decision to go with a "team defence role" on Davey rather than an "individual lockdown role"... well, I may as well just quote something I wrote in the OP of the 2019 Grand Final thread:
I have already talked about it a bit recently, and it was reaffirmed on the weekend. So frequently opposition teams, either by design or dysfunction, swarm to Davey in droves when she gets the ball. This is a fatal flaw because even multiple tacklers rarely bring her down completely, it simply creates a loose Carlton player on the outside to dish off an easy releasing pass to.

Take this example from the weekend:

Fremantle left multiple Carlton players all by themselves because they were so worried about the bigger, scarier body of Bri (and Prespakis, but it’s the same premise). Does not work. Her kicking and handballing skills are fine, can be thumping at times, but she’s not a devastatingly accurate or Pearce-ing pure user of the ball. Committing just the single worthy head-to-head opponent, drying up those open options and forcing her to hit up manned team mates is the only solution.

Wanted to give it a proper go tonight at watching it. FMD this game is hard to watch, I feel sorry for the commentators trying to be engaged in the game. It is at least another 3-5 years off being watchable. Off to watch the NRL.
Geez they jump off quick at Norf! I would have struggled to watch that too if I was a Norf supporter.

Last edited:
Sounds like Nat Grider was trying to win what I call the Dane van Knife Hurt Trophy, all in vain with Hooker having already sewn it up this year.

Today is the first game Phillips has played against Brisbane since that time she had 26 kicks at Carrara.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back