Round 4 Discussion (Dedicated to Shakespeare)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah. Nah. Have a look at the rankings and see how much difference 100 points makes. A bad captains choice is effectively the same as playing a donut. Hard to claw those points back.

I just think captains compromise the system. Absolute lottery.

Missing my point entirely. I’m not talking about this week, I’m talking about in general, every week. Have never been a fan of it. Just judge people on their teams, not their ability to fluke when Macrae scores 180 as opposed to a week where he scores 110. No skill in that.

Scintillating timing to make this point when the majority of people had a captain score of 140+ this week. There's skill and luck involved in it, just like literally every other aspect of Supercoach.

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
You captain Danger?
lol

but too be fair I agree with uncle Jisk

SC is arsey enough without having to live on your phone working out loopholes and checking scores/tags/injuries etc all weekend.

2277 😁

-Neale & Marshall ripping debuts.
-Bench players Hore, Wilkie & Atkins breathing life back into the pur$e.
-Walsh an absolute gem.
-Captain Cripps ❤️

I wasn't arguing on the differential 100 pts makes.

Which is less than 5 points per week, fwiw.
I captained Danger this week. If I'd captained Cripps the difference would have been 142 points.

Get 3 of those wrong a season it's a shitload more than 5 points a week.

Let's face it nailing the C or VC loophole is more luck than skill.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
I captained Danger this week. If I'd captained Cripps the difference would have been 142 points.

Get 3 of those wrong a season it's a shitload more than 5 points a week.

Let's face it nailing the C or VC loophole is more luck than skill.

There's added variance with the C. Luck's the wrong word.

There's added variance with the C. Luck's the wrong word.
No it's plain dumb luck.

Player A and B both average 120+ so they're valid C choices.

Player B cops an injury and scores 20. So the Captain score is 40 but player A scores 125. That's a 230 difference due to dumb luck.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Captain is definitely a lot of luck.

I had Cripps this week and it's insane what he scored after his first quarter.
And despite it being Gold Coast, they're not exactly walk-overs this year.

Danger has an awesome record at Kardinya and has two 190+ scores against GWS, one in 2017 when they were still good.
Out of his 24 games at Kardinya playing for Geelong he has 2 scores under 100, both being 94.

He was the safest bet, but somehow got his lowest possession numbers in 4 years.
Yes De Boer has been good recently, which is partly why I didn't go him, but Danger has run into good taggers before and destroyed them.

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I just got back online to check scores.
Based on last year - kept faith in Cripps as C - which was good.
Disappointed by Danger, Constable, Sheed and a few rookies.

Silly me for trying to swap out Walsh in the 18 and Cuz as an E at the last minute.
Played Cuz as was shattered Jaeger was a late out.

Overall score was passable 2299 if I had played Walsh it would have 2347 which looks better.

Thanks to the Saints fans especially kegs on legs to sway my decision to trade in Marshall.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
No it's plain dumb luck.

Player A and B both average 120+ so they're valid C choices.

Player B cops an injury and scores 20. So the Captain score is 40 but player A scores 125. That's a 230 difference due to dumb luck

and the VC that was passed over scored how many? :moustache:

The instance you describe can happen 23 times each week multiplied by 23 weeks (minus 15 for the bye rounds) = close enough to 500 instances. 1 of those each week is the C score. The total score over 23 weeks requires a great deal more skill than luck.

I had Fyfe and Rocky last week, unlucky or wrong side of risk/reward?

In the main though it's variance, it's what keeps the game interesting and provides price changes - which perversely - adds another skill element.

This game isa more than dumb luck.

Yes the captain rule is unfair but the game is built on imbalances. Everyone playing whose paying the smallest attention is playing with the same small pool of players, it's only the smallest configurations that differentiate all our scores, including who we captain.

It's a game built on luck with small pockets of skill.

If you get rid of the captain rule, you should get rid of the bench too because it's unfair that you played the wrong rookie. Should just play all 30 scores.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
It’s not just dumb luck.
Big footy division 1 are leading the pack of BigFooty leagues for a reason.
(Yes pies div 1 is actually leading)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Big boner hugs (and a sneaky grope) for special guest Scarlett. She helped us thru a bit of a wild round.
Honorary mention to Travis (RIP) for the triple somersault with two and half pike exit. Did LOL.

Tiger wins another Masters.

Same outfit, 14years ago. Greatest shot in the history of golf ?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Geelong
I think captain choice adds more to the head to head aspect of the game. It gives coaches another lever to pull if they needed a point of difference to beat their opponent. It also keeps the game interesting for longer, particular as the season goes on as the gap widens between the weak and strong players.

But I agree for those playing for overall its a bit too much variation based on luck.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

This game would be so much funner if they all just gave us 2300 every week, we could all go ahead and change our team but it wouldn't affect the score.

That's what it's all about gaiz. Getting around each other and having some fun on the weekends.

Also, an emailed participation certificate at the end of the season would also be good.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
What a crazy round. Bench 2 different rookies and trade in nearly any other premo forward who's name is not Tim Kelly and I'd be ranked 1k overall right now instead of 12k. I'm trying to keep that in mind that it's only two hundred points separating me from the top 1k and that it is still early days. Players like Lloyd, Whitfield, Neale & Boak who I don't currently own will not be averaging 130+ all year and most of the underperforming premo's who aren't injured or had a role change will come good and start scoring somewhere around the standard that we expect them to. After making a couple of reactionary sideways trades 2 weeks ago that seemed like a good idea at the time I went back to my original plan in Rd4 to start replacing the under performing on-field rookies with premo's one by one. Kelly didn't get the job done on the weekend, but I would have started Parker instead had I not traded, so it's not the end of the world and Kelly will bounce back and I have only 5 rookies on field which will become only 4 on-field rookies this week. Stay the course, stick to the trading plan and lady luck will go my way sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back