Preview Round 4: Essendon vs Brisbane, MCG, Saturday 13/04/19 @ 2:10 PM

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Essendon: Had a much needed return to form against Melbourne, winning by 18 points in the end in an end to end game where scoring was free flowing. David Zaharakis responded to criticism over his first two weeks, collecting 31 touches, half of them contested, whilst Jake Stringer, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Shaun McKernan kicked 4 goals apiece.

Brisbane:

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 3-2 Brisbane

Form Guide

Essendon: 1W 2L
Brisbane: 2W 0L

Sportsbet odds

Essendon: $1.72
Brisbane: $2.04
Line: 3.5 ($1.92)

Possible sides

Essendon vs Brisbane

B: Francis - Hooker - Saad
F: McStay - McInerney - Cameron
HB: McKenna - Hurley- Ridley
HF: McCarthy - Hipwood - Rayner
C: McGrath - Langford - Z Merrett
C: Zorko - Neale - McCluggage
HF: Fantasia - Stewart - D Smith
HB: Witherden - Walker - Bailey
F: McDonald-Tipungwuti - McKernan- Stringer
B: Rich - Andrews - Gardiner
R: Bellchambers - Shiel - Heppell
R: Martin - Berry - Lyons
I: Baguley - Zaharakis - Parish - Guelfi
I: Bastinac - Robinson - Hodge - Mathieson

Essendon in: Stewart, Hooker, Langford; Out: Clarke (poor game), Ambrose (unlucky), Mutch (Hammy)
Brisbane: no change

Brisbane defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line started back on the road to redemption last week, kicking a goal 37.7% of the time it entered forward 50 last week, lifting their average for the season by 8% to 21.3%. Brisbane's defence has conceded a goal 23.1% of the time it enters their back 50, but their big strength is the ability to restrict inside 50's. Shaun McKernan face probably the hardest key defender in the league for him to match up on in Harris Andrews, who is bigger, just as strong and just as athletic as Smack, so competing hard is the key. James Stewart may come back due to injury and will most likely cop attention from Josh Walker. The smalls of Essendon will be key though, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Orazio Fantasia and Mark Baguley were all very important in the win against Melbourne, and they may well have a pace advantage.

Midfield/rucks battle

Last year these two teams were in the top 5 for clearance differential, so it's pretty clear that it's an important stat to win for both teams. Brisbane have started well in this area so far, and with players like Dayne Zorko, Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry, Jarryd Lyons and Hugh McCluggage in your midfield you can understand why that is the case. Flipside for Essendon is that they won it the first two rounds whilst losing and in round 3 they tied it yet got the chocolates, but with a midfield stacked with talent such as Zach Merrett, Dylan Shiel, Dyson Heppell and Devon Smith they should be getting results in there. Kyle Langford may get a reprieve in the middle this week, and could present a fascinating opportunity to play a more outside role to use his fantastic skills, an area that Brisbane aren't exactly well equipped in the middle. Rucks wise, Stefan Martin is arguably the most underrated ruck in the league, his ability around the ground is as good as Brodie Grundy, whilst all of Tom Bellchambers' injuries may be coming home to roost for the big ruck.

Brisbane forward line vs Essendon defence

Brisbane's forward line for the first few games has kicked a goal 25.4% of the time it's entered inside 50 so far, but they've had a lot of repeat entries for that. Essendon's defence has been leaky for the first 3 games, conceding a goal 26.25% of the time it enters their defensive 50. Cale Hooker returning should alleviate some of that, the key tall likely to take mountain man Oscar McInerney whilst Cale Hooker will try to curb the Joe Daniher clone in Eric Hipwood, leaving Aaron Francis to mind Daniel McStay. Brisbane's main threat so far this year however has been small forward Charlie Cameron, who will be manned by Adam Saad, who has been very good at shutting opposing small forwards down so far this season.

X-Factor Player

Lincoln McCarthy has flown under the radar a little bit but the former cat has 6 goals in his first two games, Conor McKenna has a big job on the little Lion, who could prove to be the difference.

Key stat

Essendon: Inside 50's. The key to Brisbane so far has been strangling the amount of inside 50's conceded. Need to get the ball in there.

Brisbane: Clearances. They don't win when they lose the clearances.

Tip

No great confidence. Dons by 22

Last edited:

Out: Ambrose, Clarke, Mutch (if injured)
In: Hooker, Draper, Langford

Would be easy changes for me if Hooker is fit

Out
Clarke, Ambrose, Mutch

In
Draper, Hooker, Myers

Don’t know if we will need two rucks but maybe give TBell a rest anyway and bring Draper in partner with Clarke instead of need be.

Think tonight's game creates a selection conundrum - Heppell should always play as an inside midfielder and Zaharakis is more comfortable in this role - Think we have to ditch Myers if you want to make best use of the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Ambrose, Z.Clarke, Guelfi, Mutch

In: Hooker???, Draper, Gleeson???, Langford

Last night essendon scored more than Melbourne and it seemed to help them win. Prior weeks essendon didn't score more than the opposition and seemed to lose. Therefore I think if essendon score more points they should win.

Last edited:
This club is a joke.

Actually that's right we were kinda pretty good last night. Too funny. Let's unburn the club down no? Unsack the coach. Seriously hysterical.

Love the Irishman. Loved stringer too. Hope it continues next week. Can't see us losing. Hooker in will be massive.

No doubting Brisbane have improved heaps but historically they don't play the G that well. Very happy this is at the G and not Marvel. Going into Anzac Day 2-2 after the horrific start would be very beneficial, if we beat the lions the boys will be full of confidence. The Brisbane game is HUGE

No doubting Brisbane have improved heaps but historically they don't play the G that well. Very happy this is at the G and not Marvel. Going into Anzac Day 2-2 after the horrific start would be very beneficial, if we beat the lions the boys will be full of confidence. The Brisbane game is HUGE
So GF will be a draw then?

Going to be a very tough game - Brisbane look up and about and with players like Neale, Charlie Cameron, Zorko & Steffan Martin all capable of running amok.
Really worried big Steffan Martin could get hold of Bellcho/Z.Clarke and cause us problems.... hopefully they can lift for this game. I'd have a few changes this week;-

OUT: Ridley, Baguley, Mutch
IN: Hooker, Langford, Myers

Ambrose Hurley McKenna
Francis Hooker Saad
Zakka Heppell Parish
Fantasia Z.Clarke Tippa
Stringer McKernan Smith

Bellcho Shiel Z.Merrett

Bench from: McGrath Guelfi Myers Langford

Last edited:
Would be easy changes for me if Hooker is fit

Out
Clarke, Ambrose, Mutch

In
Draper, Hooker, Myers

Don’t know if we will need two rucks but maybe give TBell a rest anyway and bring Draper in partner with Clarke instead of need be.

I think we need to play two rucks until Joe returns. Depending how Draper plays on weekend I'd bring him in for Clark. I think it's important to give Belly a chopout for as much of the season as possible. Need him in good condition late in the year.

Hooker in for Ambrose I think for some height is a good change but they really like Ambrose so we may see Hooker come in for someone else? Ridley looks a little vulnerable but he needs to stay in.
Francis was very sore during the game they may give him a week.

I don't think you change the middle at all. Back them in to maintain that standard. Myers will come in for Much I expect but I'd be looking to Clarke and Langford to replace him if they hit form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back