Preview Round 4: Essendon vs Brisbane, MCG, Saturday 13/04/19 @ 2:10 PM

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
RoCo's preview on the club website: https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-04-12/five-big-questions-rd-4

His five questions were these:
1. Last week was a big improvement. What were the keys and are they as important against a different opponent?
2. We beat Melbourne on the outside last week, but the Lions are quicker than the Dees. Can we do it again?
3. Cale Hooker and Mitch Brown are back in the line-up. Where do they play?
4. How do we deal with Brisbane midfield gun Lachie Neale?
5. Where else can the Bombers press home an advantage?

I particularly liked his point in the answer to the last question;

Pressure and tackling. Did you know Brisbane lost every stat except disposals last week and still won? Their conversion rate is insane. We're pretty comparable on most lines but the area we excel at is tackling and pressure (when we remember to bring it). That's going to be key.
I love RoCo. He says things that be smart and make me feel cleverer readings.

Ye.

Woosha says the team is picked based on;
  • form of the team
  • consistency of the way we’re playing
  • availability of players
  • what level we think they can bounce back to
  • how long since they’ve played match play

It's a possibility. The question he was asked was about replacing McKernan though, which was interesting. He answered that Draper played well as a forward and a ruck in the VFL, they could put Draper in the ruck and have Bellchambers forward, Brown played well, Hooker can play forward too. So they'll weigh up those options.

But it was kinda weird to mention Draper first or at all in a discussion about key forwards. Those who watch closely, particularly in the VFL;
Do you think Draper as a forward is a reasonable option, given we've virtually run out of genuine key forwards atm?
Is Draper a reasonable option as the main ruckman against Brisbane? I don't even know who Brisbane's ruck is....

eth-dog ant555 or whoever else might be able to answer that idk

I feel like taking Bellchambers out of the 1st ruck role is pretty unlikely. But putting Draper in for Clarke maybe. And maybe Brown for Smack. So Draper and Bellchambers rotating forward/ruck and Brown as the other KPF?

Myers or Langford in for Mutch is a toss up. Myers is the obvious, conservative, and in-character sort of choice though. Especially since Myers was a "forced withdrawal due to illness" (regardless of whether it was the Windy Hill flu or not). Myers could still be sick though, in which case Langford could come back in. Langford might be a touch better on the outside (which is where Mutch was playing) leaving last week's inside mids to do the inside mid job), and he's also a better forward than Myers which is now a part of the ground that could use him rotating there. Depending on how much they ran themselves ragged though last week's inside mids might like more of a chop out. Not sure precisely which of those traits are going to be more important against Brisbane though.
What Eth said. Draper has limited forward craft other than he can kicks goals when he presses forward in the ruck.

Okay have not read through the whole thread or even a quarter of it but here is my take.

Clarke stayed in because the duo of him and Bellchambers actually had an effect on Gawn being able to totally dominate. Melbourne go to Sydney and play two ruck v one. Gawn dominates and Melbournes midfield ends up getting on top. Now Clarke has a dislike of physical contact and does things wrong but it is hard to drop a bloke out of a side one week after they have a turn in form and have their first win. He also has a bit more forward craft than Draper. Now Sam dominated on Sunday and I suspect it will not be long before he gets a go but I would like to see how he fairs against a side that is not one of the bottom 2 in the VFL. For mine Clarke deserved his spot despite his limitations.

Myers in. Well it was always going to happen and he will stay in because the club will back its leaders. Personally he is not my option so all I will say is I hope he finds some consistent form or he does get dropped if he plays a few more poor games. From the weekend you could really only say D Clarke could have been a replacement.

Redman in and Guelfi out. Guelfi a bit unlucky but IMO it is an upgrade.

Brown in for McKernan. I suppose the issue is not really like for like but there was no other options. Stewart only played half a game and has had some groin issues and Draper is simply a ruck and not a forward and as good as he is going I would rather not send him up against Martin as the number 1 ruck if the mighty cream puff played more forward. They just have to be smart with how they use Brown. You can not bomb it to him and expect him to take contested marks against two players. He has to be given space to lead in or be used like a medium forward who can crumb a few goals. Personally I think he is a good B grade defender and a C grade forward but he does have some tricks if you do not simply keep kicking it on his head all day long and expect him to be something he is not.

Hooker in. As expected. May have to play a role forward maybe for this week.

Francis out. All I can say is cool your jets. Lots of comment being made and maybe the club is to blame but he is being rested. Had treatment during the game last week for a hip issue which he has had before and he was sore after the game. My training man tells me he had limited training time early in the week and with his injury history he has been "managed". His form has really only been okay and Ambrose has been the better one on one defender in the last two weeks. He will be back and there are a few in the media who need to stop playing 1+1=3. To put it simply he has been left out based on 95% player management and 5% form.

I wouldn't disagree with that.

But I'd add that cognitive bias of someone who has a raft of relevant data is exponentially more valid than cognitive bias of someone who doesn't.

Clearly, selectors are not infallible, that's self-evident. But it was one week ago, one week, that everyone was blowing up about selection.

Meh, I'm pissing into the wind and I know it. I'm not saying people shouldn't express robust opinions on this s**t. It's more that I just don't have the energy, and I do have the self-awareness that I know jack s**t about who should be selected, outside my own biases and emotional preferences. I just don't think anyone else should take my thoughts on the matter seriously so I don't see the point in getting upset and expressing them.

Probably why I have made about one tweet in 3 years about anything

Why moan about it now is what I don't really get. After the game, sure, when there's actual empirical evidence to base it on. But you rarely ever see anyone come back and genuinely say "oh I bagged the ******* s**t out of them for picking him but I was totally wrong"
This is you just trying to maturely say nah nah naaahhh nah that Myers was selected!!

I should be doing the same regards Ambrose, but if Francis was taken pick 2 I wanted him in the my boy draft. I had to take best available.

Can't wait for a Saturday afternoon at the G. Brisbane have looked out of it twice so far this season, but have a never say die attitude and are very fun to watch.

Big game for us to try and get our season back om track. Must win game tomorrow.

I can see us beating both Brisbane and North and then the Pies will flog us on Anzac Day.

This is where the Saints loss is going to bite just like the Carlton loss last year.
Cheer up mate :)
Might make a final and lose that too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see us beating both Brisbane and North and then the Pies will flog us on Anzac Day.

This is where the Saints loss is going to bite just like the Carlton loss last year.
If we beat Brisbane and North, and still go into ANZAC Day as underdogs, that will be perfect. We can bring the heat as intensely as the dogs did last night but we have more forward options. I think we can beat the pies. Love to see Draper debut on ANZAC Day.

Okay have not read through the whole thread or even a quarter of it but here is my take.

Clarke stayed in because the duo of him and Bellchambers actually had an effect on Gawn being able to totally dominate. Melbourne go to Sydney and play two ruck v one. Gawn dominates and Melbournes midfield ends up getting on top. Now Clarke has a dislike of physical contact and does things wrong but it is hard to drop a bloke out of a side one week after they have a turn in form and have their first win. He also has a bit more forward craft than Draper. Now Sam dominated on Sunday and I suspect it will not be long before he gets a go but I would like to see how he fairs against a side that is not one of the bottom 2 in the VFL. For mine Clarke deserved his spot despite his limitations.

Myers in. Well it was always going to happen and he will stay in because the club will back its leaders. Personally he is not my option so all I will say is I hope he finds some consistent form or he does get dropped if he plays a few more poor games. From the weekend you could really only say D Clarke could have been a replacement.

Redman in and Guelfi out. Guelfi a bit unlucky but IMO it is an upgrade.

Brown in for McKernan. I suppose the issue is not really like for like but there was no other options. Stewart only played half a game and has had some groin issues and Draper is simply a ruck and not a forward and as good as he is going I would rather not send him up against Martin as the number 1 ruck if the mighty cream puff played more forward. They just have to be smart with how they use Brown. You can not bomb it to him and expect him to take contested marks against two players. He has to be given space to lead in or be used like a medium forward who can crumb a few goals. Personally I think he is a good B grade defender and a C grade forward but he does have some tricks if you do not simply keep kicking it on his head all day long and expect him to be something he is not.

Hooker in. As expected. May have to play a role forward maybe for this week.

Francis out. All I can say is cool your jets. Lots of comment being made and maybe the club is to blame but he is being rested. Had treatment during the game last week for a hip issue which he has had before and he was sore after the game. My training man tells me he had limited training time early in the week and with his injury history he has been "managed". His form has really only been okay and Ambrose has been the better one on one defender in the last two weeks. He will be back and there are a few in the media who need to stop playing 1+1=3. To put it simply he has been left out based on 95% player management and 5% form.

Well balanced spot on!
Redman BOG in the maggos imo last week. Hopefully has a good return.

B4L, my man.

I like the full rant.

It's from 4:55

It's like South Park when the Chinese and Japanese guys can't understand each other.

Shame he's with Milan now. I make him head coach at Essendon. He does have a coaching diploma for anyone who is wondering whether he is qualified.

Last edited:
B4L, my man.

I like the full rant.

It's from 4:55

It's like South Park when the Chinese and Japanese guys can't understand each other.

Shame he's with Milan now. I make him head coach at Essendon. He does have a coaching diploma for anyone who is wondering whether he is qualified.

Bring him in.

Its great that he's at Milan, favourite sons should coach famous clubs.

Bring him in.

Its great that he's at Milan, favourite sons should coach famous clubs.

The shame is that we're in no danger of being about to out bid Milan. I actually started caring again when I found out he was coach (as most of Italian football semed to me to completely lose any sense of identity from what I could tell).

Though I supposed we can wait out the impending financial crisis.

Not to be bossy or anything, but the Brisbane board have had their game day thread up since 4am. If we let them jump out of the blocks we're toast. So, you know... I'm gettin' a bit toey over here!
Let the sense of anticipation wash over you my friend.

Game Day thread will be released at about T-2 hours, as it always is. When everyone is in the right mood for it, traveling to the game and have finished arguing about selections and such :)

The shame is that we're in no danger of being about to out bid Milan. I actually started caring again when I found out he was coach (as most of Italian football semed to me to completely lose any sense of identity from what I could tell).

Though I supposed we can wait out the impending financial crisis.
I've tried to keep a track of milan this season, need kayo to bring out smart telly apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back