Review Round 4 - Geelong Cats v GWS Giants, Saturday 13 April 2019 @ GMHBA Stadium at 1.45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw the second half and Giants were absolutely dominant. It was 7.10 to 3.3. Should have won by 4 goals at least.

Davis slammed Griers (I think?) into the ground with strong tackle, about 25 straight in front of the Cats goal, and I thought the stage was set for the classic Cats late heist but the umpire didn’t pay the free.

Sad about Ward. We may never find out what this group could have achieved if they had all been fit and firing together.

You in the midst of it down there? Must be amazing.

I was on level 3 in the middle of the Reg Hickey stand, the only one in our colours...I can assure you I let them know it when the final siren sounded...you live for moments like that...so glad I made this trip...😁

The mark he took in the dying stages flying through a pack was a game saving moment

The pleasing thing about that win was the number of guys who stood up when it mattered. The 1st half was pretty sloppy with quite a few fumbles and handballs missing the mark. But in that 3rd quarter they all rose - Whitfield, Haynes, Jezza, Haynes, Tommo, Harry (how good was his mark) just to name a few.

We will meet again. Ripping game. Was not confident until 10 seconds to go. Anyone could have won that.

All the best

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was expecting the trademark Cats' escape right up until that last intercept. It happens so often down there!

Saw the second half and Giants were absolutely dominant. It was 7.10 to 3.3. Should have won by 4 goals at least.

We only kicked six behinds all game. The other seven were rushed, five in the second half.

Well, what to say about that? That game certainly had me jumping around, screaming at the TV, and tears for Cal - especially at the end when all the boys got around him out on the ground. We could have rolled over when he went down in the first 5 minutes, but really proud of how the boys stuck at it until the end. And despite having lots of missed chances in the F50 zone in Q4 where we only scored 1 goal - in the past we might have dropped our bundle and let the opposition score an easy goal, but we stuck tough and defended relentlessly and held on. So proud of the whole team.

In Ward's absence, the remaining mids played really tough, and outpointed their more heralded rivals, especially in that second half. I thought Hopper had one of his most influential games for us; he was the one winning the ball and moving it on in the first quarter when Cats mids were on top. Cogs was getting lots of ball early but handing it to the Cats - but came good and was huge in the second half when it counted. Whitfield was just sublime again - such great composure. Taranto too continues to stand up, and Kelly is getting back towards his best. Mumford again showed what we miss when he's not there. Really need to find a similar playing replacement before he retires for good.

The forwards again worked well together. Yes we still have too many entries that aren't to our forwards' advantage, and yes we had some easy misses. But Jezza, TOJ and HH showed that the 3 mobile forwards can be a massive handful and might just be the way we go for the rest of the season. Jezza had another really good game - he didn't get nearly as much latitude as last week, but certainly stamped his mark on the forward line. I'm unsure about Matty Buntine as a defensive forward: I think he'll get replaced in the next few weeks with someone who has a little more flexibility. And while I think Brent Daniels is doing well with the tackling and pressure aspects of his game, he needs to score some goals. We will look forward to getting one or both of Greene and Zac Langdon back in that respect.

The backs were tremendous again, especially after quarter time. They all made a few mistakes, gave away a few frees, but ultimately didn't let the Cats' forwards get away too much. Loved Kenners' game again - he really is unsung; while Phil Davis stood tall as the remaining captain - 95% time on ground to make sure there was leadership out on the ground. Zaccy was a little down on his previous form, but boy does he slot some pinpoint passes through opposition players that sets up counterattack.

Overall, a cracking effort put in by all the boys, and really lifted after Q1. I knew they had it in them, but just not sure they could find it within themselves, but they certainly did. This should give them great belief for the rest of the season. I'd expect that now we've gotten through the tough start to the year (and with a great 3-1 record) that the selectors will start feeding in a few of the draftees. Looking forward to next week with the boys playing in Canberra. Well done Giants!

Best midfield group we have ever had. The balance is spot on, more hard nuts and workers than flashy runners, in the past it was the opposite. Helps when you get a couple of gems like Hopper and Taranto to go with what was already there. Fwd line is no longer slow and crashing into one another. Hats off to the people who made the tough calls on a few ex players but it's sport and winning is what counts.

Been out all day, missed the game, but was following it at work. Intense stuff but what a win!! Amazing, so proud!!

Gutted about Ward. Gutted. Love the bloke. Wish I could’ve heard his 3/4 rev up.

Still a few blokes to come back, and after wins like today, the confidence is brewing. Cmon lads!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back