Autopsy Round 4 - GWS Giants v Collingwood, Friday 26th June 2020 @ Giants Stadium, 7.50 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys good win past night.

Sorry this is SC question does Tom Green stay in the team once TT returns?
Thanks in advance.

The umps hate Toby Greene he couldn't buy a free kick.
Green should stay in, but then he should have stayed in after round 1. Only injury should keep him out for the next dozen years.

THE GREENE MACHINE

I love watching Toby Greene play footy. He is the kind of player you pay to watch play footy. When he is near the play, things happen. He is a lightning rod, an elusive, ball-winning, supporter-infuriating, smug, arrogant, wonderful arsehole! He is a character, a villain, a hero and an undoubted star of the game, and tonight we saw all facets of the Toby Greene show. I’ve not seen Brayden Maynard beaten in a while, but when you see a bloke laying on the ground applauding the efforts of his direct opponent, you know, irrespective of how the media and/or umpires treat him, that Toby Greene has the respect of his peers.

He took contested marks, bobbed up and snapped goals, gave away handballs to people when he should have kicked his fourth… yeah, that was a mistake, but it was a team-first mistake. If you’re looking for the player that was the difference between the teams, you’d be hard pressed to find someone more influential than Greene. In a game decided by two points, how important are three goals to one player? With players like de Goey and Cameron well held, it was Greene who stepped up when it mattered and made things work inside 50. Others had moments, but this was Toby Greene’s game.

THE INTERCEPTORS

We were blessed in this game to have some of the best intercept defenders in the game at either end.

At the other end you have this bloke named Nick Haynes. Last season he finally started getting recognised for the level of play he was maintaining week-in and week-out. Tonight, he notched the rare defensive double-double. The defensive double-double is when a player records double figures in both one percenters, which is basically spoils for a defender, and intercept possessions. With ten in each category this evening, that means that Nick Haynes was responsible for winning or killing 20 contest in this game. How’s that for solid defending! Whilst Phil Davis and Sam Taylor did a heap of the heavy lifting, Haynes was able to zone off and impact contests all night long. He’ll probably be overlooked by many in terms of votes, but I thought he was wonderful.

THE OTHER GREEN MACHINE

I’m glad the commentators picked up on how string Tom Green was over the footy in the last quarter. With all the attention heaped on Matt Rowell over the last few weeks, Green may fly under the radar a little, but this was a powerful performance for a young fella. Green finished the game with seven clearances – equal high with Pendlebury, and picked up three of those vital take aways in the last quarter. Actually, if you go back and watch, which I am sure you will if you want to analyse the last ten minutes of the game yourself, you’ll see that Green picked up those clearances quite late in the piece. When the heat was on, he moved into the middle and won contests. That is bloody impressive!

THE DE BOER MAGIC TRICK

For Matt de Boer’s next trick, watch him make Steele Sidebottom completely disappear! For the entirety of the first quarter Sidebottom was a phantom, with Matt de Boer absolutely destroying both in contests and out in the wide open spaces. After getting hold of Patrick Dangerfield in Round One, I questioned the way Leon Cameron used him against the Kangaroos in Round Two, moving him off Ben Cunnington (who he was clearly beating) and onto Shaun Higgins (who had only had two touches at that point). In that game, the Kangaroos won on three fronts – the scoreboard, Higgins got off the chain against de Boer, and after the tag on him was released, Cunnington worked into the game as well. To put it mildly, it was a coaching utensil up.

But Cameron made no mistake with him tonight. Sidebottom went forward to break the tag and still had zero influence. Whenever he moved back into the middle, de Boer welcomed him with open arms… usually to tackle him. This was a huge win for the Giants as Sidebottom has been one of the Pies’ best performers this season, and in Round Four, Matt de Boer picked up his second major scalp of the season.

BIG MUMMY V GRUNDY

Now this was very interesting! 47 hit outs to Brodie Grundy in this one – only Todd Goldstein had had more in a game, from memory, but the efforts of Shane Mumford were wonderful in this game. The stats won’t show it, but the way Mumford neutralised the impact of Grundy at stoppages was brilliant. Giving Grundy no separation at all, Mumford would be as close as he could possibly get at ball ups and throw ins around the ground. Whilst Grundy would get his hand to the footy, it went nowhere more often than not. Hit outs to no advantage, and when you’re playing against Grundy, you almost count that as a win.

Mumford refused to allow Grundy the chance to take the ball out of the ruck – usually a tactic that allows Grundy to secure several clearances per game. Tonight he had just two, and Mummy managed four of his own. If you’re a stats man, you’ll look at this game and think Grundy went out and did what he normally does, but if you are a watcher of footy, and a someone who looks for a bit more than just kicks, marks and hit outs, you will appreciate the mountain of work Mumford did to negate Grundy. It was a ripping effort by the big Mummy.

HEATER TAKES ON THE BIG JOB

At quarter time, it looked as though Jaidyn Stephenson was about to put on a show. Playing against Aiden Corr, Stephenson looked too quick off the mark to stop, and Leon Cameron was compelled to make a change. So over went Heath Shaw, once again taking on the big job. Shaw completely shut down the enigmatic (another word for inconsistent?) Stephenson by matching him at the contest and playing largely a couple of metres in front of him. Once confronted with a different situation to deal with, Stephenson looked lost and Shaw was able to take control of the contest. He was the equal number one player on the field in terms of Rebound 50s (with Zach Williams) and is deserving of some real praise in this game.

At 34 years old, Shaw is performing a role that he probably shouldn’t but he is still good enough to go toe to toe with any of the best mid-sized, or small forward in the game. he never, ever shirks responsibility and when all is said and done will go down as one of the best defenders in the history of the game, statistically. If you get the chance, head on over to afltables.com and check out the all-time rankings in stat categories. You’ll come away with a new appreciation for Shaw and what he has been doing for years on end. He made the right decision to go round again…though I am sure Stephenson wishes he hadn’t.

MOTOR RUNNING AGAIN

I’ve been a little critical of Josh Kelly at times over the last year or so. At one point this young season I started to wonder whether my expectations of him were just too high. I mean, he was obviously trying, but just wasn’t getting anywhere near the sort of run I thought his team needed from him. It turns out I didn’t expect too much from him – he just wasn’t producing it. Tonight, he turned that around. Kelly was excellent in the second and third quarters as he powered up and down the wing to give the Giants plenty of drive. He gained 429 metres for his team and his 81% efficiency is exactly what the team needed from him.

OTHER BITS

I really liked the energy Jeremy Finlayson brought to the ruck when he relived Mumford in there. He was bouncing around, changing position and looking completely unorthodox. It is the sort of thing the Giants could deploy here and there to great effect.

I’ve got to almost the end without mentioning Lachie Whitfield who moved back to play a bit of wing in this game. Thank God! This is where he is at his best, and it makes it really tough to sit someone on him when he can use the space out there to run his opponent into the ground.

Zac Williams is a loss for the Giants in the short term, but geez I thought he was shaky by foot in the first half. It turns out he ran at 57% for the game, but early on he seemed to miss way too many targets and did the same last week.

:thumbsu:

Watching the replay. Gee Shaw was brilliant last night. Lead rebound 50’s for the night and shut Stephenson out of the game after he got off the chain early

still got it
His best is great, he has always taken the tough kick on. He misses more than he used , but when it works 😍😍

Hey guys, fantasy question here. What's the deal with coniglio. was unsighted all night, played deep forward most of the night. and got as many touches as a suburban footy player wouldve got. is he injured?

Hey guys, fantasy question here. What's the deal with coniglio. was unsighted all night, played deep forward most of the night. and got as many touches as a suburban footy player wouldve got. is he injured?
Wish we knew the answer - or moreso, the club staff - to that question. Dunno, but he's definitely out of form this year. He's always been solid and kicked goals rotating forward, so presumably he was sent there to get some confidence but it didn't really work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back