Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit disappointing that no one really remonstrated with Ryder after the hit. A bit piss weak IMO. 5 years ago we had players that would have had his back.

More disappointing was last week when Pittonet was getting into Reeves after he cause a goal from a direct turnover. Shoving him on the way back to the centre bounce taunting him - not one person over there to fly the flag. Humiliating for reeves imo

A bit disappointing that no one really remonstrated with Ryder after the hit. A bit piss weak IMO. 5 years ago we had players that would have had his back.
I was at the game. Hardwick had a crack. And that 50m penalty goal was a direct result of JOM running straight to Ryder and getting stuck into him

This Hawk fan is not concerned at all, from the start i always thought our season would be very up and down.

I feel like Sam is tweaking his game plan, and testing players during games. It felt like Mitchell spent more time in the middle than normal with Sam.

I just hope we keep playing the kids and looking for our missing link in the middle and at CHF.

Until the mid season draft, lets give the like of Long, Callow, Jeka and Serong ago and not at the expense of other youth unless they really need a rest. I hope Butler stand up and demands a game.

Hartigan and Howe needs to stay at boxhill. Phillips is under pressure and it does not bode well for the futures of Saunders and Mitchell.S being dropped from Boxhill this early.

A few positives, Lewis kept fighting and needs a CHF to help out. An Impey's first game back from iniury.

The ups and downs are all a part of this new Hawks Journey.
Saunders is injured hurt his knee

That is a shocker. He actually tried to stop himself. 2 weeks for that. Seriously .
No, he changed direction to run directly at Day and did not even attempt a smother as he knew he was going to be late.

He chose to bump and got Will in the head.

Not sure what footage you watched.

This Hawk fan is not concerned at all, from the start i always thought our season would be very up and down.

I feel like Sam is tweaking his game plan, and testing players during games. It felt like Mitchell spent more time in the middle than normal with Sam.

I just hope we keep playing the kids and looking for our missing link in the middle and at CHF.

Until the mid season draft, lets give the like of Long, Callow, Jeka and Serong ago and not at the expense of other youth unless they really need a rest. I hope Butler stand up and demands a game.

Hartigan and Howe needs to stay at boxhill. Phillips is under pressure and it does not bode well for the futures of Saunders and Mitchell.S being dropped from Boxhill this early.

A few positives, Lewis kept fighting and needs a CHF to help out. An Impey's first game back from iniury.

The ups and downs are all a part of this new Hawks Journey.
Saunders injured knee only 1 wk injury

No, he changed direction to run directly at Day and did not even attempt a smother as he knew he was going to be late.

Look, I don’t think he meant it at all, he just miss timed it. I think he tried to stop too, but that just means it was careless rather than intentional. Otherwise he’d be staring at 3 weeks +

The bananas bit was the commentators showing they’ve been simply collecting a pay check the past few years instead of learning 6 changes and being shocked at the thought it was illegal. Producer just be scratching his head as to what he’s paying them for.

Last edited:
2 weeks for paddy
Seems fair, day missed second half while Paddy continued to play. Day will no doubt miss next week too, thanks to a brain fade by Ryder.

Perfectly summarised, although I doubt DT_35 will like your post:)

Last edited:
When the whole team looks flat, then that's too coincidental for some guys having an off day. After watching our game I wasn't surprised to find Carlton lost as well. Last week was obviously tiring. Guys just couldn't/wouldn't chase. There was more than one occasion where a Saints player was shepherding a team-mate from one of our players who just came to a complete stop rather than giving the shepherder a solid bump or at least run around them. Little things like that are rather telling.

I think we just put this down to a young team that was spent and couldn't get out of first gear. We'll see if that's the case next Monday, where I'm expecting a far bigger effort from the boys.

Ryder was always gonna get weeks. Chose to bump, concussed his opponent and there's was a visible cut on chin so visible evidence that contact was high. The whiplash argument was laughable.

The AFL knows the head needs to be protected and have been making these decisions for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe - I thought he completely lost awareness of what was around him and started playing for his highlights reel. The goal where the Saints player stepped around him in the pocket was absolutely terrible. He just stopped.

Young players should get leeway, but they also need to know what the standards are.
i have a different interpretation of what happened. There was a Hawthorn player coming the other way a he looked to prop to allow his teammate to run onto the ball.

Elite runner but a very poor kick. His ball drop is very awkward and when he is on his left side then look out front 5 rows in the crowd as it could go anywhere.

Stronger version of Timmy Clarke.

I hope Mitch says to him, you are going to be my number 1 tagger every week and just give him that role.
Shouldn’t he be our number 1 inside mid, dishing out a handball to better kicks. Playing out of position. He is very strong in the contest

Our midfield can’t/won’t defend when we turn the ball over. They’re all ball hunters and no-one sets up defensively to prevent ball movement on turnover. The ease with which St Kilda transitioned the ball through the arcs when we coughed it up was astonishing. Got clean entries with next to no pressure. Our mids turn into witches hats without the footy.
Hence why they went at 75 per cent turning inside 50s into scores, there was hardly any pressure on the ball carrier and they could deliver it anywhere they wanted too. It was shades of 2004 a little bit.

My biggest concern is the message it relates to junior footy, the size disparity at 12-15 years old is huge, some big kid takes out a smaller one thinking its okay 'cause he saw it in the big game.
The other pet hate for me is the current Geelong coach remonstrating a free kick in the coaches box, nice message dick head.

Tom Mitchell’s pop kicks that go 30 meters up in the air are gonna kill somebody one day - think he only did one or two yesterday but I cringe every time he does one
I don't know why but this made me chuckle for some reason .

Tom Mitchell’s pop kicks that go 30 meters up in the air are gonna kill somebody one day - think he only did one or two yesterday but I cringe every time he does one
It’s the biggest problem with our list, that our best player uses the ball so poorly.

Should have been three if they want to stop the head knocks. He did not need to hit him late. What s**t me is there was no public hanging that normally accompanies any incident involving a Hawk. The Media s**t me with their double standards. Remember Stratton got three for f$@&ing pinching. Yeah didn’t look good but never resulted in a brain injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back