Autopsy Round 4: Hawks survive a massive scare vs Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Scully has been allowed to freewheel run at his last 2 clubs. Pretty much do whatever he wants. At Hawthorn I think where he needs to run to is much more defined and he is still coming to terms with this.
What makes you say that?

No surprises here.

In fact, I'm moderately surprised that we're 'only' third bottom on the differential and not bottom...

GWS and Gold Coast are infringing on the negative more so than all the other clubs and the old (well, recent) adage 'free kick Hawthorn' no longer applies.

No longer applies, it's never happened 😖. Every time I watched the game and some crowd yelling "Free Kick Hawthorn" , I will follow them with "More please thank you!!!".

Will be wonderful if Hawthorn get their well deserved free kicks 😊 especially from tackling very hard or when opposition is clearly throwing the ball, or those cheapshots and holding players.

GWS and Gold Coast are infringing on the negative more so than all the other clubs and the old (well, recent) adage 'free kick Hawthorn' no longer applies.

No longer applies, it's never happened 😖. Every time I watched the game and some crowd yelling "Free Kick Hawthorn" , I will follow them with "More please thank you!!!".

Will be wonderful if Hawthorn get their well deserved free kicks 😊 especially from tackling very hard or when opposition is clearly throwing the ball, or those cheapshots and holding players.
There were a few games back around 2016 where we got an extremely rare rub of the green from the umps, that's where it started. Of course, media hype and the sheep mentality take over at that point, and the utterly insane and irrational #freekickhawthorn 'phenomenon' was born.

Of course, shortly thereafter, things went back to normal, and the 'Hawthorn are a mockery of our equalisation policies and we need to control them' mantra returns in kind.

The stupidity continues to exist in some quarters and some tiny minds of course.....

There were a few games back around 2016 where we got an extremely rare rub of the green from the umps, that's where it started. Of course, media hype and the sheep mentality take over at that point, and the utterly insane and irrational #freekickhawthorn 'phenomenon' was born.

Of course, shortly thereafter, things went back to normal, and the 'Hawthorn are a mockery of our equalisation policies and we need to control them' mantra returns in kind.

The stupidity continues to exist in some quarters and some tiny minds of course.....

It wasn't even a couple of games, it was just a couple of decisions late in games. It shows the power of the media on the general public.

It's difficult when such a strong commentary bias (and so much grey in interpretations and let go in general play) applies.

Until Umpires pay EVERY free (and players have time to adjust to the correct interpretations), and Commentators support the correct application of the rules, this inconsistency and dissatisfaction will occur.

I'd love the league to have taken this opportunity of no crowds to revert to "absolute" interpretations of the rules. Pay every free kick - even if it's 100 in the first week. Have the (AFL controlled) media support it.

By week 2, the coaches have had enough and are changing their players methods.

By week 3, the players have started to change habits.

...by week 6 or so, the game has changed back closer to what it once was - fast, free open play with players holding position and not gravitating towards the ball "u10 style".

Have not watched it yet Roger. Should I (was away on the weekend)? The reviews have frightened me away.
Def watch the game. Our pressure was immense. Wingard amazing. Plus a glimpse into what we need to improve. All whilst taking the 4 points.

So without the home ground umpires WCE go to water then.
It could be after the feedback from it being noticed. Did the rounds a bit in social media, including big footy. There is probably a PhD for someone looking at the changes in pattern of free kicks with changes in grounds, lack of crowds and effect on home ground advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back