Preview Round 4: NMFC vs Carlton in Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Jmac is not AFL standard at the moment

Which certainly makes his near-BOG performance against the Saints pretty impressive.

Honestly, I'm not the world's biggest JMac fan, but some of the stuff that has been written about him this week is just flat-out ridiculous.

It's Round 4. Let's recap (and by doing so, hopefully inject some balance and perspective back into the discussion)....

- Round 1 - abysmal conditions, total outlier, free passes for all who played (see 'unchanged line-up going into our Round 2 game')

- Round 2 - close to our best player (as unanimously adjudged by every media outlet, and anyone who watched the game that doesn't have a hard-on for potting the bloke on the regular)

- Round 3 - had a stinker (but with a dash of mitigating circumstance, due to our midfielders' 'Picnic At Hanging Rock'-esque disappearance on the day)

How that possibly translates to "not AFL standard at the moment", I do not know. We're all susceptible to a bit of hyperbole from time to time, but that's a farcical call, particularly at this early point in the season.

And just on a general note (ie. not directed at you personally bb), but if people can't remember what happened a whole two games ago, and/or they sincerely believe that the match committee are so reactive as to drop established senior players off the back of one poor performance, then it seems that intelligent, level-headed discussion will continue to stay beyond the reach of the weekly Changes thread.

Yep.

R11Hansen.gif

Classic.

Last week averages:

North Melbourne: Height 187.0cm (Land of the Giants)
GoDees: Height 187.3cm (Nimble short people)

North Melbourne: Age 25y4m Games 94.0 (Young and Rebuilding)
GoDees: Age 25y2m Games 93.1 (Experienced Expected Finalist)

Player Experience:
Less than 50: North 8, GoDees 8
50 to 99: North 6, GoDees 7
100 to 149: North 1, GoDees 3
150+: North 7, GoDees 4

It is amazing what perception and mindset does, had we had got Martin and Kelly last year, we would realistically have most of the other boxes ticked to contend. I think it would have changed the whole mindset at the club, would have attacked the season with a different vigour.

Our side isn't as bad is it appears to be and I don't think throwing in players who need to find form in the VFL first is necessary the answer. I think probably the biggest harm we have done is shot our own morale with talk about how s**t we are, never liked when Brad started early with talking about a young squad, but not playing a young team. I think our players are too quick to put the cue in the rack because there is no expectation and no consequences for giving up. We gave up in the last quarter last week when the game was still winnable, I fear that mentally taking hold because it is the poison that resulted in teams in the past sliding into mediocrity for a decade plus.

I just don't like the optics.
But Scotts has this Master Plan. The Aggressive Reset is on. :stern look

He smashed Membrey just the week before. Surely he'd be stronger than Oliver forward?
You mean the half injured membrey who was carrying an injury into the game and hasn't played since as a result?

Not to mention the saints mids couldn't hit a target to save themselves

Oliver and EVW had 2 contest, Oliver got 2 goals out of it by beating him in the air

There's no way I want EVW playing on talls ATM vs smalls

EVW plays the first poor game of his career and he is suddenly not suited to the role he has been playing since his first game.

I scratch me head sometimes I tells ya.

EVW plays the first poor game of his career and he is suddenly not suited to the role he has been playing since his first game.

Happy with his 62% disposal efficiency and his 3.3 turnovers per game?

There should be a footy I.Q. test required to post on this board.

It would cut out a lot of the useless angst driven ignorance.

Happy with his 62% disposal efficiency and his 3.3 turnovers per game?
Averages are useless at this stage of the season. He's had ten turnovers for the year and six of those were in the cyclone at Cairns. And he went at 44% up there when the whole game - all 44 players - averaged less than 50%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should be a footy I.Q. test required to post on this board.

It would cut out a lot of the useless angst driven ignorance.

And you would be one of the first to fail.:)

Averages are useless at this stage of the season. He's had ten turnovers for the year and six of those were in the cyclone at Cairns. And he went at 44% up there when the whole game - all 44 players - averaged less than 50%.
Yes, good point, take out the Cairns match, has gone at 77% and 1.5 turnovers, much better!

Okay, the match ups:

Tarrant - Casboult
Thompson - Curnow
Williams - Wright
McDonald - Fisher
Jacobs - Murphy
Davies Uniake - Dow
Atley - Simpson

If Majak plays then I want to see him utilised in bursts in the ruck.

Anything less than a 6 goal win will be a surprise.

Carlton are a complete rabble.

Minimise the Cripps Clearance Factor, which a direct head to head with Cunners can supply. Blunt the running power and contest impact that Kreuzer provides by rotating Goldy with Daw constantly.

Jobs done.

Last edited:
Anything less than a 6 goal win will be a surprise.

Carlton are a complete rabble.

- Night game
- Windy
- Rain
- 5 x 194+ cm players named in our side

20 points either way would be a solid win.

I’ll just leave his career stats here:
66695DE7-53CD-4269-9C08-33830B33E9AE.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back