Preview Round 4 Port Adelaide v West Coast, Metricon Stadium 1.15 Saturday 27/6/20

Remove this Banner Ad

In over 20 years of Footy tipping, I can proudly say I have never once tipped against Port to win!
Loyalty? Integrity? Blind stupidity?

I dont know. But I just cant do it. Maybe its a form of self-flagellation! If Port are losing I watch to the very end, accepting the punishment, then go force myself to re-live it by looking at my crap Footy Tips!
:'(

I always watch to the end, but in comps where I've been near the top, I've had to tip against the Power occasionaly.
The lure of money was too much for me.

This is going to sound counter-intuitive but we may actually get a better result with a close or even slight loss in the midfield. If we're dominating territory and fall back into the pattern we saw in half 2 vs Gold Coast and 3rd quarter vs Freo - we're going to find it hard to score (1 goal in a half vs GC and 1 goal in the 3rd quarter vs Freo).

West Coast are going to be able to burn us much more effectively on the break with their superior footskills and marking targets than either GC or Freo if it comes to that.

We might actually be better off trying to force stoppages on the wings down the line (stoppages being an area we should beat them) which gives us space in the forward line and on the open side of the ground rather than just a continued flood of our inside 50.

Against lesser teams I don't think it would matter having the flood on in our 50 as we seem capable of stopping them slicing through us on the break.

It’s vital we win the contested possessions. They have been poor in that stat in the hub and the blow torch will be on them in this regard.
WC 115 GC 137
WC 118 BL 133

We have been excellent in the contest against largely poor opposition.
PA 138 AD 119
PA 130 FR 107

If the average continues, PA 134 WC 117, we win.

It’s vital we win the contested possessions. They have been poor in that stat in the hub and the blow torch will be on them in this regard.
WC 115 GC 137
WC 118 BL 133

We have been excellent in the contest against largely poor opposition.
PA 138 AD 119
PA 130 FR 107

If the average continues, PA 134 WC 117, we win.

I'm still concerned with converting and forward line efficiency even if we're dominating the contest, but if they're unable to hurt us the other way, we should be fine.

In over 20 years of Footy tipping, I can proudly say I have never once tipped against Port to win!
Loyalty? Integrity? Blind stupidity?

I dont know. But I just cant do it. Maybe its a form of self-flagellation! If Port are losing I watch to the very end, accepting the punishment, then go force myself to re-live it by looking at my crap Footy Tips!
:'(
I used to tip us no matter what in 2002-2004. But that was because we were great.

If good West Coast turns up, then we'll probably lose. However if we lose by still playing a decent structure and game plan, then if we aren't flogged, I'll be ok with it.

With 7 years of Hinkley's 'lessons (not) learnt from losses', my worry is more we'll lose and Hinkley will use it as an excuse to drop a tall, saying we lacked the ability to pressure them or run off them.

If good West Coast turns up, then we'll probably lose. However if we lose by still playing a decent structure and game plan, then if we aren't flogged, I'll be ok with it.

With 7 years of Hinkley's 'lessons (not) learnt from losses', my worry is more we'll lose and Hinkley will use it as an excuse to drop a tall, saying we lacked the ability to pressure them or run off them.
This is very much where I'm at with this game. A close loss won't be the end of the world as this is the first time this season we are playing a team that played finals last year.

Like you my fear is that Hinkley will use it to justify going back to a midget forward line.

But at least at 3-0 Hinkley proved to the happy clappers that he's a superhero.

This is very much where I'm at with this game. A close loss won't be the end of the world as this is the first time this season we are playing a team that played finals last year.

Like you my fear is that Hinkley will use it to justify going back to a midget forward line.

But at least at 3-0 Hinkley proved to the happy clappers that he's a superhero.

I'll be pretty unhappy if we a) get absolutely pantsed in the midfield and the contest for an extended period (e.g. a quarter or more) as it would show our midfield is still unreliable against quality teams, b) we play most of the game in our front half but fail to convert opportunities into goals either through poor delivery or poor goal-kicking, c) we play pretty well but * up the last 5 minutes somehow.

Those 3 areas are pretty standard patterns of what losses look like under Hinkley. If we lose for one of the above reasons then we've probably not improved THAT much in the offseason.

If we compete all day and convert ok and are just slightly out of touch with a few minutes left then its probably due to West Coast being a better quality side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be pretty unhappy if we a) get absolutely pantsed in the midfield and the contest for an extended period (e.g. a quarter or more) as it would show our midfield is still unreliable against quality teams,
My secondary concern after tall for small, is we get pantsed by having all of Rockliff, Boak and Wines in the midfield being one-paced, yet it's SPP sacrificed in the name of 'balance'. I just can't trust Hinkley. He could go the whole season with a balanced side, reach the Grand Final and I wouldn't be shocked selection night for it of Out : T. Marshall, In: C. Sutcliffe.

WCE going with dual ruckmen

EbaMLFMUMAA1k06

Zak's Tour ... Look inside Ports Hub

I thought it more relevant to Ports in general than just this one game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back