U18 Champs Round 4 - SA vs Allies

Remove this Banner Ad

I see Rankine as a Daniel Rioli type at this stage. And what concerns me is at times, in every game i have seen, is he can be selfish.

For me that is a concern
Agreed. I came away yesterday even more so than previously thinking "Bloody hell he's good, but he's bought all the tickets himself to the Izak Rankine show".

Agreed. I came away yesterday even more so than previously thinking "Bloody hell he's good, but he's bought all the tickets himself to the Izak Rankine show".
I think most see some selfishness in the vision, I do like some arrogance in a player though. I'm sure that selfishness could be coached out of him in an AFL system, he gets in with a good group of players and the leaders/peer influence would also temper that selfishness IMO. Agree, disagree?

I think most see some selfishness in the vision, I do like some arrogance in a player though. I'm sure that selfishness could be coached out of him in an AFL system, he gets in with a good group of players and the leaders/peer influence would also temper that selfishness IMO. Agree, disagree?

I think confidence is vital. Selfishness can get teammates off side regardless of quality. However it’s not something that can’t be fixed at AFL level as you said.

He can win games off his own boot but also cost teams games. I think if you look at the Dusty’s, Buddy’s, De Goeys, those guys that are strong and have that swagger, they have that confidence and game breaking abilities but have the ability to bring others into the game. To stand up when needed is important but to have the ability to know if there is a better option is also important. He’s a gun but will be interesting to see how he matures.

He'll be fine. Most AFL players are selfish in some shape or form, you need to be or you won't survive. Rankine just has more swagger and kvnt factor than most. Not a bad thing unless it completely consumes him and he turns into a raging angry man when things don't go his way. But I reckon he'll be just fine. His strengths are his ability to beat his man and beat any man that tries to take him on, he believes he's better than them and that's fine by me because by the time he's 21-22 he'll be better than 99% of AFL footballers.

I agree to some extent. Is an immense talent and some poor aspects can certainly be worked on. Perhaps he is trying to remain in Adelaide, but some attributes concern me.

• Conditioning looks poor
  • When the opposition has the ball, he seems lazy unless he is in striking distance
  • Trying to take players on, is healthy, but not when he has teammates in better positions
  • Turning his back on play after a mark
  • Most times when he has a decent patch, he won't work hard enough to stay in the chain after his first disposal
Something is not quite right, just can't put my finger on it

As a club if he is clearly at the top of your board around your pick the options are:

1. Try to trade back to the Crows for their 1st pick + ?

2. Trade back to some other club who is prepared to take the risk on him

3. If no one wants to trade up then pick him up in the draft:

i) see if he settles and keep him;

or

ii) if he still demands to go home then you auction him off to the highest bidder of the Power or Crows
iii) If he demands that he will only go to one of those club and they only make a low ball offer then be prepared to send him to the draft and send a message
Trouble is in 2 years he would claim intense home sickness is threatening his mental health, and the media would ream the club for not putting the players welfare first.

I watched an SANFL game a few weeks back when Rankine's selfishness cost his team the game. Good player but needs to understand there are other players out there besides himself.

Trouble is in 2 years he would claim intense home sickness is threatening his mental health, and the media would ream the club for not putting the players welfare first.
Well for a change he is not Vic player, i doubt Victoria media will care about his welfare if his destination was Adelaide compare to eg the king Twins , Bailey Smith , Wash .

Rankine requesting a trade home isn’t the death sentence many crows fans tell us it is. I mean, it’s not like it would be the first time a players left a club and they haven’t exploded with the power of a thousand suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back