Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Kelly was close to worst on ground.
He needs to start earning his massive paycheck rather than being comfortable back at home posting photos on Instagram of the rissoles, potato bake and salad his missus has whipped up as if it was 3 Michelin star fare...

He needs to start earning his massive paycheck rather than being comfortable back at home posting photos on Instagram of the rissoles, potato bake and salad his missus has whipped up as if it was 3 Michelin star fare...
Wtf does that have to do with anything?

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
I’ve just got back from the game and was pretty close to the fence, so I can’t offer any strategic insight as to why we lost. However, it was plain to see that as soon as the Saints played half a step closer to our mids, we dropped our bundle. We don’t like it up us.

Most gutting, and this one is like a punch in the guts, is that I felt we lost that game twice. Once when we had a great start and should have kept them at bay, and then at 33 points up halfway through the third. Like, it is actually quite difficult to lose from that point.

Oh and pick a mid to replace a mid next time.

Jake faded from sight when the game was hot, as you would completely expect from someone with no pre-season and one WAFL match.

It’s early. The Saints are good. We’ll comfortably make the finals. But if we seriously want to be a contender, we have to shut games down - shite team selection or not.

Had time to digest all that on the drive home. * me that was the worst loss I can remember for a long time...even being smashed by Geelong by 100 wasn’t that painful. I still don’t believe it.

But as bad as we were, the Saints were terrific that second half and just tore us apart...it sounded like 60,000 Saints at the game singing the song.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
No it is that bad that performance explains a lot about this playing group..they cannot play 4 quarters of football and when the heat is on the crumble as a group and do not stand up and help each other

We learned a lot today about the collective courage of the player group...and frankly its not good

Frontrunners is a great term for this team good at home but when the heat is on they fold .....

Its disgusting and one we need to change

We are the best at playing pretty football, but when the opposite team's intensity goes off the charts, and it gets mean and dirty, we go missing.
We had no run - no one running to space, no energy and no grunt. You don't win football games without grunt. Are we not fit enough? Are we lacking fortitude? Sure looks that way.
Simmo was rightly pissed off. Nothing from our midfield all day. I hope he got fair up them - no more Mr. Nice Guy after that abysmal performance.

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
Had time to digest all that on the drive home. fu** me that was the worst loss I can remember for a long time...even being smashed by Geelong by 100 wasn’t that painful. I still don’t believe it.

But as bad as we were, the Saints were terrific that second half and just tore us apart...it sounded like 60,000 Saints at the game singing the song.

2020 was a bit like a fog really. Every loss was clouded by dew, humidity, hubs and Covid-19. So, well done Richmond, but I’ll always shrug my shoulders a bit at that season.

To your point specifically, that final round loss against Hawthorn in 2019 felt pretty ominous, but we were swiftly distracted by finals.

I feel like I will take the scars of this one into most Melbourne games. 33 points up in the third, FFS.

I hope the team does not.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
No platitudes today. He wasn't happy. Which is good.

Good, because sh*t like that kills coaches.

Simmo's got credits in the bank and I do actually like him as a coach, but the Board expects sustained success and if he cant turn us back into a Top 4 side then Adam's gonna feel the dreaded Shoulder Tap in a year or two.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Been too many years now where one way running midfielders have been able to get away with it. Zak Jones was scragging Kelly at every stoppage in the last quarter and realistically none of our other midfielders are damaging enough to win a ball themselves and make a difference so it killed us. Got outplayed by lower tier midfielders because they ran, tackled, and tried to win the ball at every opportunity.

Dom Sheed is decent footballer but tonight's game was simply not good enough, far too weak over the ball and refused to chase on multiple occasions. I don't care if we have to play Trew and he loses steam at quarter time, set an example, you don't want to chase & tackle Dom? go back to the WAFL for a week and let us know when you do.

Nice little pat on the back from the AFL for a few well timed umpiring decisions leading to goals but that's the game these days and a far problem vs lack of desire to win the ball in that second half.

Agree with the thrust of what you say here, but apparently Sheed was ill and it seemed he wouldn't take his place in the team - perhaps he should not have.
I try not to be so invested in the Eagles these days, but tonight, I feel gutted.

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Good, because sh*t like that kills coaches.

Simmo's got credits in the bank and I do actually like him as a coach, but the Board expects sustained success and if he cant turn us back into a Top 4 side then Adam's gonna feel the dreaded Shoulder Tap in a year or two.
We don't tolerate rubbish from the team and that was absolutely pathetic. Having watched Making their Mark the Amazon series he didn't pull his punches in the hub. Can't imagine he would have pulled them tonight. He knows that if the team doesn't perform his position is in jeopardy. Tonight was head shaking head in hands what the actual * type coach killer crap.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
We don't tolerate rubbish from the team and that was absolutely pathetic. Having watched Making their Mark the Amazon series he didn't pull his punches in the hub. Can't imagine he would have pulled them tonight. He knows that if the team doesn't perform his position is in jeopardy. Tonight was head shaking head in hands what the actual fu** type coach killer crap.

Havent seen the doco, but I def find it weird that Simmo supposedly cut sick throughout the hub period last year, then doesnt seem to have addressed our underlying weakness at all in 2021 which would have been a major cause of our problems from last year.

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Havent seen the doco, but I def find it weird that Simmo supposedly cut sick throughout the hub period last year, then doesnt seem to have addressed our underlying weakness at all in 2021 which would have been a major cause of our problems from last year.
I think that game stunk of the game against Gold Coast in the hub. Simmo made the comment in the doco about young and hungry vs established and satisfied with themselves. That last 44 minutes smacked of too much arrogance and not enough desire.
Screenshot_20210410-215458_Prime Video.jpg

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Awesome by ur blokes, the pressure was next level and made us sh*t the bed completely. To do that halfway through a game shows something incredible.
Honestly it was just good to watch our team actually have a crack after the last few weeks. Hopefully see you guys again in September.

Back