Review Round 4: Sydney Swans vs Fremantle - Match Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I.E. Tom Mitchell.

Yep but experts will tell you tom cant hit a target at all, runs like grandma and cant fit in the side with parker and kennedy

Well stuff that he can play so give him a run and ditch mcglynn

We would have been 3 goals closer at half time (still well beaten)if not for poor umpiring.The 2 score reviews that were probably goals to us may have got us over the line.

Yup
Everything counts we were bent over all night

We would have been 3 goals closer at half time (still well beaten)if not for poor umpiring.The 2 score reviews that were probably goals to us may have got us over the line.

The Umps didn't help matters, but Sydney were their own worse enemy, and didn't apply any sort of pressure until it was too late.

The Umps didn't help matters, but Sydney were their own worse enemy, and didn't apply any sort of pressure until it was too late.

Got within a kick with 10 minutes to go, was not too late

We actually had more of it in the first half

Got within a kick with 10 minutes to go, was not too late

We actually had more of it in the first half

And they had to play virtually mistake free Football to get to that point, sure enough it was a turnover that stymied the comeback.
If Sydney played with the same endeavor for even a 10 minute period earlier, the result would've been different imo.

It looks like good teams think you can get us by going roughhouse......most of the rushed kicks were from the pressure applied, when we reversed that the rushed kicks came form the other side. Hanners was fantastic, just wish he had of gone with his first option prior to that turnover, once he doubled back it was always going to end in tears.... I think we are better than last year and we are only going to get better, Lloyd is a gun, Rohan nearly changed it all on his own with his pace, and a few senior guys are not at their best just yet. We were too slow out of the blocks however when we turned we really turned. So, to all the chicken little's, take a breath.

Switching to the Adelaide Oval game last night it was really stark how differently the holding the ball rule is applied.....

As bad as that first half an losing this early seems, we're still 3 and 1. Go at 3 and 1 for the whole year and we'll finish 17 and 5, which is a fine record in on itself. Take into account the fact that we won't usually have two top four teams in four games either, and I feel we're doing well. :)

No one should be blaming the umps , Christ we played like s**t in the first half . Bombing forward etc etc

Oh but don't worry. Horse apparently addressed this in the presser so it is all ok. Definitely not part of the game plan. I find it encouraging that after 2 odd years of players doing precisely that he is going to put the foot down and make changes to the side because they are not following instructions.

I mean the first half was an aberration. A one off. It was un-swans like. It won't happen again.

Oh but don't worry. Horse apparently addressed this in the presser so it is all ok. Definitely not part of the game plan. I find it encouraging that after 2 odd years of players doing precisely that he is going to put the foot down and make changes to the side because they are not following instructions.

I mean the first half was an aberration. A one off. It was un-swans like. It won't happen again.

Cripes, if coaches made changes to sides based on not following instructions you would see a new 21 every Week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are a better looking team with Buddy, Rohan, Heeney, Mcglynn & Reid forward with Tippett in the ruck swapping with Pyke off the bench for a rest.
Can't happen with reduced rotations & sub.

That 50 was a joke thst gave them a goal

Rampe on fyfe frees in the first were a joke

There was one on mayne or pav that got a goal that was never paid to buddy til the last despite mcpharlin scragging

Shaw holding the ball in the first lol he never took possesion
It was bullshit

That 50 should be paid every time. If someone takes the mark and you give them a push afterwards, you're an idiot. McVeigh didn't remonstrate at all because he knew the same. The fact that it's not paid all the time doesn't mean it shouldn't have been this time.

Those frees where they're wrestling and both holding always seem pretty rough, but umpires will always be looking more at the defender in those situations. Rampe's arms often went up over Fyfe's shoulders and that is a really obvious infringement moreso than a fistful of jumper. Also, because it happened so often I tend to believe that the call was right, as Rampe was really struggling with Fyfe's strength.

I can't remember the ones you mentioned re: Mayne/Pav, but McPharlin is a very clever defender. Every defender in the history of the game has been a scragger, but timing/deception is what sets apart the really good ones.

The Shaw call seems super-harsh, but if you put your body over the ball, you are adjudged to have taken possession even if you haven't actually touched it. It works both ways, it means that no-one can kick the footy out from under you, but you can be tackled. In this era of football, all players know how to tackle and bring the ball into the tackled player so they can't get it out. So in the end, I reckon they got it right as all Shaw wanted to do was prevent the ball from coming out. A lot of times he would've gotten away with that though, so probably a bit unlucky!

Either way, the umpiring was much less influential than this board seems to believe. We got smashed in the first half fair and square.

Free kicks always go against the team who is second to the ball which we were in the first half.

Whatever could go wrong did go wrong for that game and we still could of pinched it.

Expect us to be 7-1 heading into the Hawthorn game.

3 holding the ball free kicks in defensive 50 in first half unfortunately, from where I was sitting looked legit, but 2 goals disallowed due to poor reviews/goal ups changing minds looked like legit goals. 50 meter free kick and goal to Freo was the softest. 20 to 10 free kick against at half time certainly gave the umps in to the game and in the end we played for only half a game still nearly won it and if we'd got a few of the 50/50s would have.

Either way, the umpiring was much less influential than this board seems to believe. We got smashed in the first half fair and square.

Bullsh1t.
Freo got a 7-0 run at the beginning then a bunch of 50's all of which directly led to 3-4 goals. We were ahead on most stats - but kept getting turned on our heels from the run of frees.
It was disgraceful from the field umpires - then the goal and boundary umps got involved.
We were heavily outnumbered.

I can't remember the ones you mentioned re: Mayne/Pav, but McPharlin is a very clever defender. Every defender in the history of the game has been a scragger, but timing/deception is what sets apart the really good ones.

He's as handsy as your drunk uncle at your daughter's 21st.

Watch the replay again, and you can count on one hand the number of times Buddy was able to get two hands above his head? Why you ask?? Handsy McGrabster was "cleverly" holding one arm in every contest.

He's as handsy as your drunk uncle at your daughter's 21st.

Watch the replay again, and you can count on one hand the number of times Buddy was able to get two hands above his head? Why you ask?? Handsy McGrabster was "cleverly" holding one arm in every contest.

Exactly the same as Grundy and Ted (when he doesn't get burnt off on a lead). So has every good defender in the history of the game. The fullback in the team of the century was the same!

Bullsh1t.
Freo got a 7-0 run at the beginning then a bunch of 50's all of which directly led to 3-4 goals. We were ahead on most stats - but kept getting turned on our heels from the run of frees.
It was disgraceful from the field umpires - then the goal and boundary umps got involved.
We were heavily outnumbered.

Haha. I'll never see eye-to-eye with you on umpiring, but that's ok.

The influence in the umpiring was more about a few crucial decisions that gave them back momentum at key moments. Bias in umpiring doesn't have to be overt, it can be quite covert. Just a little surreptitious sleight of hand and it can be done within the rules. Umpiring is, by it's nature, subjective. A confident 'touched' goal call from a boundary umpire to create doubt in the goal umpire's mind, a generous 50m, a technical call on a 50:50 contest. In a fair contest that subjectivity should go both ways.

Sure, we should have worked harder early but, in what was always going to be a tight game, the umpiring made just enough difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back