Review Round 4: Sydney Swans vs Fremantle - Match Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pyke is certainly struggling at the moment, but questioning his effort is a bit rich. When you re-watch the game, just focus on him and I think you'll be surprised. Yes, he was convincingly beaten in the hitouts, but so is every ruckman that comes up against Sandilands. Pyke actually tailored his game to Sandilands pretty well and often followed up the ruck contest to give us an extra man on the ground that Sandilands couldn't provide - a number of times he tapped the ball into another Swans hands (and was lucky not to be called for a throw actually), which doesn't get marked on the stat sheet. He also outran Sandilands and took some good strong contested marks, which is something that has been missing from his game of late. If he kicked that goal, I would've actually said his game was on par with Sandilands.

But the ruckman isn't the problem here. Our midfield just switches off for periods of the game and lets the opposition just waltz away from the stoppages. When you're up against such a dominant clearance team, you need a better plan. We went all out attack early in the game and got burnt. But that being said, Fyfe is an absolute superstar - without superlative, the best in the comp right now. So while it's frustrating to see him bust free from the pack, it's not lamentable.

I'll re-watch it but I can't see it, would rather just have Tippett as the ruck and then have some relief from Naismith.

Razor.
Funny story, used to play cricket against Razor I'm Canberra before he became an umpire, he was a complete toss as you would expect, anyway he got a gig at the scg boundary umpiring and me and a bunch of mates were on tour and had boundary seats.
He was running around warming up and one of the boys yelled out g'day razor, he turns around and he tossed his hotdog and source straight at him, smashed him in the face and sauce went everywhere. Needless to say h erupted. Absolute pisser, will remember forever.
Haha. He is such a tosser. It's all about him, not the players on the field. McInerney isn't far behind.

If Reid can keep winning and holding his marks, especially the opposition long kicks and Pyke can also start taking more marks around the ground - that will really help our midfielders.
What Reid did tonight was what Longmire has been praying for. I hope he keeps that going. We have missed that reliable Swingman for a long time.

I'll re-watch it but I can't see it, would rather just have Tippett as the ruck and then have some relief from Naismith.

Tippett at full forward with time in ruck is ideal imo

Can naismith do more around the ground than pyke yet?

Franklin has to work for every single mark. Our kicking efficiency into the forward 50 is so unbelievably bad at times lol

I agree but Horse obviously doesn't. It is under instruction. No player is dropped for poor delivery. And they go to Buddy over and over again.

The big change in this game was the clear instruction to not do that after halftime. PlanA is simply hoof it forward like we do and it takes a 50 point deficit to change it.

So it it not unbelievable, it is what they are coached to do.

Midfield doesnt switch off imo

They panic and eiher handball to a flat footed person or bomb away and then under pressure we lose our structure and there Are no targets then its on our defence too quick and they are exposed for lack of size

Rampe is then on someone too big or has a brain fart

We need more players who can hit targets like lloyd and franklin

Mcglynn is gone imo

I think you're right, I don't think the midfield did switch off. It's just that when you turn the ball over against Freo you put yourself under the pump. I thought the game turned when McVeigh and Lloyd - two of our better ball users - started to have an influence on the game.

Last edited:
I agree but Horse obviously doesn't. It is under instruction. No player is dropped for poor delivery. And they go to Buddy over and over again.

The big change in this game was the clear instruction to not do that after halftime. PlanA is simply hoof it forward like we do and it takes a 50 point deficit to change it.

So it it not unbelievable, it is what they are coached to do.

Under pressure players will resort to bad habits regardless of gameplan to be fair to horse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So our disposal is perfect and we are getting beaten in the middle in all the stats instead??

Should have put a smiley face...but, you have made an assumption. There is no way you can prove that Tom Mitchell won't make a difference, no,way at all! Now smiley face :)

What i meant is that first half shouldn't be foreign territory who have watched the side over the last few years its happened in big games heck it happened in round 1 and to a lesser extent last week.

IMO the problem is structure, how to fix it is the $20 million dollar question.

I think you're right, I don't the midfield did switch off. It's just that when you turn the ball over against Freo you put yourself under the pump. I thought the game turned when McVeigh and Lloyd - two of our better ball users - started to have an influence on the game.

Tippett gave away a lot of frees because the ball was kicked to the advantage of the defender

Rohan and towers make the forward line less predictable and rohan especially brings pressure to keep it in, i like two talls and two mid sizers up there

Mcglynn if he plays can go forward otherwise he doesnt play imo

We have been bent over by the score review. 2 goals disallowed. Absolutely disgusting.

For those without Fox - they reviewed all three dodgy goal umpire decisions making jokes about it and then later cut to David King with a large poster tube in front of him. Funny but not funny.

Our skills have been pretty poor for a long time.

Sometimes i feel Horse is to obsessed with speed

You can see why though, look how we run in the second half

He is too obsessed maybe with outside leg speed

And forgets the value of smart players with quick hands

As much as I want to blame the umpires (and I will).

I don't understand how the coaching staff can go into Q2 thinking "Everything will be allright"

Can someone outline the tactical changes that were made from quarter to quarter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back