Swans v Essendon

10 Luke Parker (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
4 Zach Merrett (ESS)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
1 Jordan Ridley (ESS)
So whoever gave Merrett 3 votes also gave Ridley 1 vote.

One of the coaches only gave one vote to an Essendon player.....

Last edited:
So whoever gave Merrett 3 votes also gave Ridley 1 vote.

One of the coaches didn't give votes to any Essendon players at all.....

You’d think in a game decided by under a goal the votes might have been more evenly split

It's all too complicated for me, how do you work that out?
Each coach does a 5-4-3-2-1.

4 votes for Zach could be 4 votes from one coach, 3 votes from one and 1 from the other, or 2 votes from each coach.

Since Parker got 10 from both coaches, Reid must have got 4 votes from both coaches as 5+3 doesn't work with the 5 votes already used on Parker. So 4 votes by itself is also ruled out for Zach with both coaches giving 4 votes to Reid.

Ridley can't have been given anything other than 1 vote by one coach, which means Mills must have been given 2 votes from one coach as 1+1 doesn't work, while Kennedy has the same reasoning and got 2 votes from the other coach. That also means 2+2 doesn't work for Zach.

So that leaves 3+1 for Zach.

Whichever coach used 1 vote for Zach, can't have used 1 vote for Ridley. Therefore whoever did 3 votes for Zach must also have given 1 vote to Ridley.

(And since he's the only one I've missed, Hickey must be a straight 3 votes from one coach, as it can't be 2+1 with those votes already used.)

So one coach did:

5 Parker
4 Reid
3 Merrett
2 Mills or Kennedy
1 Ridley

The other coach:

5 Parker
4 Reid
3 Hickey
2 Kennedy or Mills
1 Merrett

And that therefore means that my original statement is wrong, both coaches gave Essendon players votes, but one only gave 1 vote out of 15 to an Essendon player, while the other recognised two players using 4 votes between the two of them.

You’d think in a game decided by under a goal the votes might have been more evenly split
Yup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all too complicated for me, how do you work that out?
Coach A:

Parker
Reid
Merrett
Mills/Kennedy
Ridley

Coach B:

Parker
Reid
Hickey
Mills/Kennedy
Merrett