Preview Round 4 v Brisbane Lions - Sunday 21 February @ Hickey Park, 12:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillips is just ridiculous. Seriously. She's just a whole different level to the rest of the competition.
If she stays fit, she's a very real chance to take the medal again this year. She would already have a few BOG's in the bag.

Such a superstar.

She's easily on 6 votes (Best on round 1 and 4) and wouldn't surprise me if she snuck a vote or 2 in round 2.

If she played for a Victorian club she would have her face plastered all over every single piece of marketing for AFLW. The fact there's even debate over who is the best player in the comp is silly.

Phillips is just ridiculous. Seriously. She's just a whole different level to the rest of the competition.
If she stays fit, she's a very real chance to take the medal again this year. She would already have a few BOG's in the bag.

Such a superstar.

She's easily on 6 votes (Best on round 1 and 4) and wouldn't surprise me if she snuck a vote or 2 in round 2.

If she played for a Victorian club she would have her face plastered all over every single piece of marketing for AFLW. The fact there's even debate over who is the best player in the comp is silly.

Don’t think it will be the case this year sadly, Ellie Blackburn leading the way will have 3x3 votes and 1x2 votes, Paxman maybe equal and Bowers, Davey next in line with votes so far.

Last edited:
Don’t think it will be the case this year sadly, Ellie Blackburn leading the way will have 3x3 votes and 1x2 votes, Paxman maybe equal and Bowers, Davey next in line with votes so far.
Those 4 and Flip.

Prespakis having a bit of a down year as is Hatchy.

Rajcic only made one bad error that I can remember. The turnover after the holding-the-ball free in the 3rd quarter wasn't a mistake by her and should have been 50m, there's no reason you should expect to be tackled when you have a free kick, are running straight at the goal and haven't yet crossed the mark.
That's a very generous description of Rajcic's game and that particular holding the ball decision.

That's a very generous description of Rajcic's game and that particular holding the ball decision.

Agreed. Rajcic never went back to the mark and very clearly played on.

You could make an argument that there was no prior opportunity and the ball was just knocked out in the tackle, but honestly the HTB decision was probably the right one. Just a lack of awareness from Rajcic.

You could make an argument that there was no prior opportunity and the ball was just knocked out in the tackle, but honestly the HTB decision was probably the right one. Just a lack of awareness from Rajcic.
That whole passage of play was just pure trash.

Good to get the win in the end - made it tougher than it needed to be but a good performance all round. Brisbane are a genuinely good side based on what I saw today, it's not just that they've played junk teams. Their pressure on the ball carrier is immense.

The umpiring was pretty awful. So many nothing calls!

That was Woodland's best game for us so far, shame about her set shots though. I thought that was easily Eloise Jones' best game for the year as well. Probably true for several players really, Ang Foley and Marinoff especially. And obviously Phillips, absolute class. She was the difference between the two sides.

Scheer is going to be one hell of a player if she can keep her body right. She's got to be the most natural footballer on our list.

Our side is doing alright. I have a feeling that we're going to look back at the Freo loss in a similar way that other teams looked back at losses against us in 2019. They just seem a class above everyone else at the moment. Hopefully there is still enough time for the wheels to fall off!
Next to Erin of course?

she has a hell of a boot on her that’s for sure.

Next to Erin of course?

she has a hell of a boot on her that’s for sure.

Erin has footy smarts in spades but she is also an athletic specimen above most of the rest of the comp. She could probably be dominant in almost any sport.

Whereas Chloe is just a footballing machine. Born to play footy.

Just watched the game. I thought the umpiring display was absolutely insipid. Thought in our first few games that the umpiring had been okay. So many of their goals were as a result of a bad umpiring call in some way or another. Our bad goal kicking kept them in it outside of that.
-Scheer and Foley were great
-Phillips amazing, as we all know
-Woodland really needs to practice goal kicking...knows how to put herself in the right spot though
-Brisbane are not that great. We were all over them for the most part. Their pressure was great in patches and last - but they are guilty of kicking long to no one way to often. Should have won by 20+

The ball spilled backwards from the original tackle, she went over and picked it up, then ran straight at goal and was tackled before she passed the point where the initial tackle was (ie, "the mark"). Under what definition of the rules had she played on?

It should have been a 50m penalty and a shot on goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to see the replay, because I think once she played on, the Brisbane player had entered the protected zone from behind. So it should've been a 50 meter penalty.

Just watched the game. I thought the umpiring display was absolutely insipid. Thought in our first few games that the umpiring had been okay. So many of their goals were as a result of a bad umpiring call in some way or another. Our bad goal kicking kept them in it outside of that.
Was fine vs West Coast and GWS

Vs Fremantle they eliminated the grey areas and read it in black and white. Was all there. But it felt the interpretations were binned and they just paid everything. Absolutely ****ing hated it. And tbh. I think it was a contributing factor to Freo winning in the manner they did. Fremantle are a skillfull outside running team. The frees eliminated the contested scimmages and played right into Fremantle's hands. Teams like Brisbane I can actually see troubling Fremantle as long as the umpires stay out of it.

vs Brisbane you could see what I want and what I hate. The frees which went Brisbane's way is what I hate in football. Dont get me wrong, my ignorant self even a few years ago wished that we saw the mid 60s-mid 90s umpiring again to open up the game. But by 3/4 time vs Freo I realised the flaws in this and never wanted to see it again. Yeah, it clears congestion. But it's just frustrating as it takes away the contest. If I wanted to watch this s**t I'd beg the AFL to bring back AFLx. Yet on the other hand, the frees that went our way is what I want in the sport. Allow the contest and let the players play and earn the ball. Was good to watch.

Hopefully vs St Kilda it's all good. Unfortunately I cant make the game.

My role at work changes effective tomorrow (Tuesday) and I have a new manager. Yeah, she's really chill and good with stuff. But I'm not going to change roles and on my first day say I cant work a shift that week which I said I could do the previous week.

Hopefully this doesnt happen with the AFL fixture.

I think the AFL is starting to recognise that their standard approach of "if injury occurs during bump, then penalty" isn't going to cut it in this new competition. That approach makes the assumption that a bump should only cause injury if it has been dangerously executed, which is not necessarily the case in AFLW.

In the men's comp, almost everyone has grown up playing the game and has been taught how to protect themselves when they go for the ball. The same is not yet true in AFLW.

Bodey didn't protect herself in that collision yesterday. That's not surprising - she's only been playing for two years and hasn't developed that instinct yet. But it is the reason she got hurt. If she protected herself properly as she went for the ball, her and Randall would have bounced off each other in a perfectly normal footy collision.

It's not reasonable to expect players to pull out of contests just because their opponent might not know how to attack the ball without leaving themselves prone.

The problem will eventually go away as a new breed of AFLW players enters the system with an entire childhood of competitive footy behind them. But we're still a generation away from that point.

How the hell did she get off.
Or is this that stupid severe/high/medium/low impact rule. Because she got up, it was deemed low and it was so minor it got nothing.
Or perhaps simply there was no malice intent. Chelsea was seen going for the ball, and this appears to be one of those footy accidents that can occur from time to time, like Marinoff vs Stack.

I think the AFL is starting to recognise that their standard approach of "if injury occurs during bump, then penalty" isn't going to cut it in this new competition. That approach makes the assumption that a bump should only cause injury if it has been dangerously executed, which is not necessarily the case in AFLW.

In the men's comp, almost everyone has grown up playing the game and has been taught how to protect themselves when they go for the ball. The same is not yet true in AFLW.

Bodey didn't protect herself in that collision yesterday. That's not surprising - she's only been playing for two years and hasn't developed that instinct yet. But it is the reason she got hurt. If she protected herself properly as she went for the ball, her and Randall would have bounced off each other in a perfectly normal footy collision.

It's not reasonable to expect players to pull out of contests just because their opponent might not know how to attack the ball without leaving themselves prone.

The problem will eventually go away as a new breed of AFLW players enters the system with an entire childhood of competitive footy behind them. But we're still a generation away from that point.
I think you make a good point. AFL is being sensible about it, and accepting that accidents can occur in contact sport. Also, dishing out unfair penalties, when the season is only 9 rounds, can put players off continuing in AFLW and might turn to other sports? Just really happy to see sensible AFL decisions regarding the Marinoff and now Randall incidents.

in neither case were Marinoff or Randall in the act of bumping

Marinoff went for a tackle and her arm slipped high on the ducked head -
Randall went for a loose ball and protected herself from the contact -

if they had lined them up and hit them high, then yeah charge them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back