U18 Champs Round 4 - Vic Country vs SA

Remove this Banner Ad

And he sets up another one
I know I'm a little biased with my Rebels' lads but I don't think there's too many close to Jay in this draft class with his skills by hand, some of the best I've ever seen at the U18 level, also like the fact he usually does the team thing and moves it on quickly to a teammate in better position to do some serious damage.

what a game, VC V SA was a tough pressure filled contest and it felt like watching a finals game, whereas the game prior was more free flowing and allowed some players to show off their skills, this game was an arm wrestle to the death, both teams came for a fight and a fight is what they got.

Gould has to be BOG, his runs were unstoppable, he got tackled a couple of times, but he mustve burst through a dozen tackles and that goal late to nearly win it for them was a special moment, Mead had a great day out, running away from many contests and winning some tough ball as well, he really showed why he is in that 2nd round range, Schoenberg had another good outting just being everywhere SA needed him to be, when others tired he seemed to lift a gear, McNeil had another good game, being a part of multiple pushes forward, Magor and D.Stephens playing good football running hard all game, Edwards and Day repelling many VC forward attacks, Durdin had some good moments kicking 2 goals and having a very long run with approx 5 bounces then getting tackled as he was having a shot at goal and being caught HTB.

Serong was a bull all over the ground, he was winning clearances, getting it forward, he seemed to get better as the game went on and just found something extra when VC needed a lift, Kemp was strong in the clinches, his big frame really helped him break through SA's tackles and his goal to win the game from 45m was a great moment, Ash tried to add run all game, he had some good runs but was outplayed this week by Gould, Flanders did a lot of great things in the clinches, but his delivery inside 50 was a bit ordinary, if he had cleaned up his inside 50 entries he would have been a lot better, Weightman was on fire, the ball didnt get in his area often, but when it did he just had so much energy and pace and his 4 goals were great efforts, if VC got it to him more often the game wouldnt have been so close, Cahill, Rantall, Sparkes and Young were all very impressive adding run and dare and using the ball well in general, it was a tough game and finals like.

Comben was great again early but because of injury he ran out of puff a little bit in the last quarter, but his 1 grab marking around the ground is a big positive for me, still by far the 2nd best ruck behind L.Jackson imo, running down Durdin when he took 5 bounces was huge for a ruckman as well.

best imo:
1. Gould - SA - his run out of defence is scary good in this game, he took on everyone and mostly succeeded
2. Serong - VC - such a tough uncompromising bloke this guy is, his personality reminds me of the great Hawk Premiership Champs of years gone by
3. Kemp - VC - really lifted once given the midfield opportunity, strong and active, that goal to win it was special
4. McNeil - SA - had an understated game, but put in a big effort to help link up play in midfield for SA
5. Schoenberg - SA - this guy has great endurance and a work rate to be envious of, he is everywhere on the field its ridiculous
6. Flanders - VC - was tough and took a couple of contested marks, strong bodied and got a lot of ball forward, just couldnt land many inside 50's the only knock
7. Weightman - VC - whenever the ball was in his vicinity he was dangerous, he was Rosasx2 in a finals like pressure game, 4 goals for the speedy clever forward
8. Day - SA - once again the intercept defender worked his butt of, basically he would mark it and Gould would run it out, it was an unstoppable combination
9. D.Stephens - SA - had a really good game on the wing, a lot of deft handballs or long kicks down the line or running down a wing
10. Ash - VC - provided good rebound and run, hit some long targets and defended well, Young also played well, but less so than on other occassions

Last edited:

Thoughts on the game: Won't be mentioning the under-agers here, it's pointless from a draft perspective.

First Quarter: Mead impressed me the most on the inside.....Dow is super clean & creative.....Young, Ash, Day & Gould doing as they please out of defence; 4 quality half backs there....Schoenberg has to be the find of the champs, without a doubt. He doesn't know how not to find the ball.....Stephens has electric pace....Comben is a good skilled ruckman.....

Vic Country smalls are all tough little buggers. Not convinced that any of em are Top 12 material though.

Second Quarter:
Taheny can't buy a possie....Must be injured.....Mead is a first rounder without a doubt....Flanders finding plenty of it but burning the ball.....Schoenberg does not waste a possession; Sam Mitchell mark 2.....Freitag, Josh Smith & De Koning look likely rookie prospects to me. Something to work with there....Finlay is such a balanced key defender.

Rantall & Cahill having an impaact towards the end causing 3 goals between them to give Vic Country the edge at half time....The 4 half-backs previously mentioned are all still killing it.....Day is every bit as good as the other 3....Has a touch of the Dean Laidley's about him.

Third Quarter: Mead, Day, Stephens, Gould & Schoenberg are the clear S/A Guns....Mead is elite inside...Top 10 pick.....Schoenberg is a first rounder. Reads the game better than anyone else & has both an inside & outside game....Me likey…. Carmody has something....Hilders' ball use & decision making is dodgy.....McEntee just lit it up then, need to re-asses there....Super quick & clean.

Baldi has been good & added run this quarter....Flanders strength inside is phenomenal.....Breaks tackles at will & has incredible agility....Just don't ask him to kick it though....Brad Sewell mark 2.

Far more impressed with Findlay in open play than Hilder.....Far better balanced both physically & mentally by his ball use & composure....200 game defender this lad.

Kemp starting to exert an influence, but Schoenberg is clearly B.O.G to this point. Serong also getting busy.

Fourth Quarter:
Taheny playing with zero confidence. Probably shouldn't be out there truth be told..Weighman just capitalised on a rare error by Schoenberg, who was too casual....He's a good opportunist forward/finisher.

Dow has no left foot....Flanders has the same build as Leigh Matthews, but plays like Petracca. Just not elite by foot. Killer inside game though.

Wareham has stepped up this quarter....Gould 3 bounces & a goal from 50 meters....Has a man's build against boys....Kemp & Serong, 2 huge pack marks.

Ash & Kemp combine to step-up when it counts....Game over.

If I was picking the number one player from these 2 sides at the draft, then it would be Kemp, without a shadow of a doubt.....Young is the best field kick & Stephens is the best runner.....Flanders is the inside bull, but Mead is a better ball user.....Schoenberg has the best 2-way game of the midfielders....Day is sublimely skilled, as is Ash....Serong is tough, solid & accountable....No real weaknesses there, other than a lack of size....Gould bosses everyone cause he's so big-bodied, but won't have that size advantage at Senior level....Taheny?....Can't really make an assessment on him when he's playing injured & with zero confidence.

So Kemp, Young, Serong, Mead, Ash, Stephens, Flanders, Schoenberg, Day, Gould Would be my Top 10 from these 2 sides.....Taheny could go anywhere!

Taheny is a great shame because his best is as good as anyone in the draft, absolute elite talent and has produced some powerful league SANFL games this year but definitely carrying something.

Will Day is going to be a tremendous half back or wingman, Isaac Smith style

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gould bosses everyone cause he's so big-bodied, but won't have that size advantage at Senior level

You should try to check out some of his games at SANFL level. He's averaging 20 disposals at 87% along with 6 marks and 7 rebound 50s. And that's against people bigger and stronger. Also entrusted with the kick outs from his first game. Just give him the Rising Star for 2020 now.

You should try to check out some of his games at SANFL level. He's averaging 20 disposals at 87% along with 6 marks and 7 rebound 50s. And that's against people bigger and stronger. Also entrusted with the kick outs from his first game. Just give him the Rising Star for 2020 now.
It’s something I noticed in Darcy Fogarty’s draft year, and again with Gould this year.

They don’t really play against a lot of big bodies in the SANFL. They might be playing against men and older players, but Fogarty and Gould stand out because they such big kids and often look bigger than most of the other players on the field.

Gould will still be big at the next level.

Fogartys inability to become an afl player isn’t related to his size in terms that he’s still a big lump. It’s that he’s far too lazy to become the running player a 190ish cm player needs to become. If anything Fogarty needed to slim way down instead of looking like Jason dunstall.

It’s something I noticed in Darcy Fogarty’s draft year, and again with Gould this year.

They don’t really play against a lot of big bodies in the SANFL. They might be playing against men and older players, but Fogarty and Gould stand out because they such big kids and often look bigger than most of the other players on the field.

Fogarty only played the 4 SANFL games in his draft year, and his best game was on par with Gould's worst so far.

It's something people said about Gould last year when he got named All Australian as a 17 year old. If people are still saying it at this point, there's really nothing else Gould can do. I can understand the whole 'dominating due to size' thing when it comes to a key forward out muscling his skinny opponent. But that's not Gould's game. Size doesn't play a role in his elite kicking, his leadership or his ability to read the play. Sure, it contributes to some of the broken tackles at the U18 level. But his burst speed and ability to find gaps also helps.

In his second league game, he had 19 touches at 84% - 13 of which were contested possessions. And that was against an Adelaide team with two forwards who played AFL on the weekend, and a bunch of other early draft picks and seasoned players. If you discount that, you may as well discount every U18 game. Matthew Rowell dominates TAC Cup, but that's against a bunch of kids who likely won't be drafted so no wonder he stands out.

The two safest picks in the entire draft are Rowell and Gould.

Fogarty only played the 4 SANFL games in his draft year, and his best game was on par with Gould's worst so far.

It's something people said about Gould last year when he got named All Australian as a 17 year old. If people are still saying it at this point, there's really nothing else Gould can do. I can understand the whole 'dominating due to size' thing when it comes to a key forward out muscling his skinny opponent. But that's not Gould's game. Size doesn't play a role in his elite kicking, his leadership or his ability to read the play. Sure, it contributes to some of the broken tackles at the U18 level. But his burst speed and ability to find gaps also helps.

In his second league game, he had 19 touches at 84% - 13 of which were contested possessions. And that was against an Adelaide team with two forwards who played AFL on the weekend, and a bunch of other early draft picks and seasoned players. If you discount that, you may as well discount every U18 game. Matthew Rowell dominates TAC Cup, but that's against a bunch of kids who likely won't be drafted so no wonder he stands out.

What part of Noah Anderson do you think is not safe? For me he is just as safe as those two

What part of Noah Anderson do you think is not safe? For me he is just as safe as those two

I have 100% confidence in Rowell and Gould. Only like 98% in Anderson. Maybe it's the haircut?

I have 100% confidence in Rowell and Gould. Only like 98% in Anderson. Maybe it's the haircut?
I think many look at his look and worry a bit hahaha watching him live and on the boundary he strikes me as a dedicated player, hard worker and a great teammate. Think you get a better understanding of his personality watching him live and you can certainly see why he was named captain

I believe you might of missed the main part of my point.

I’m not criticising Gould, and realise he’s played against the AFL teams reserves.

I was mainly pointing out that the often trotted our line of “the playing against men” when discussing the SANFL, is a little misleading, in that the SA kids aren’t playing against a lot of men who are AFL size.

Like I said, both Fogarty and Gould stand out due to their size at SANFL, compared to many of the other players on the ground.

Nor am I saying that the SANFL isn’t a higher standard than the TAC cup.

If we’re talking a Rankine, Rozee or Taheny, then kids their size are playing against bigger bodies, but their athletic abilities and skills stand them apart.

• C. Serong: 33 disposals, nine marks, nine tackles, 10 clearances, five inside-50s
i knew he played another great game, but those numbers in such a tough game is amazing, further confirms why i have moved him into my elite grouping, if he kicked 2 goals it would be a 10/10 game near perfection, 9.5/10 as it is though imo.

The same was said about Shannon Hurn in his draft year, big bodied and dual SANFL premiership player who was putting in pretty strong performances at senior SANFL level in 2004/2005....said he had no real upside. Has gone alright.

Gould is a similar type but more of a general defender now than Hurn was then (Hurn played a lot more midfield as a junior). He'll be just fine....enormous human being, he's a bulldozer now and he'll be a bulldozer in the AFL.

I know I'm a little biased with my Rebels' lads but I don't think there's too many close to Jay in this draft class with his skills by hand, some of the best I've ever seen at the U18 level, also like the fact he usually does the team thing and moves it on quickly to a teammate in better position to do some serious damage.

Bicks - Who is Jay ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back