Norm Smith Medallist
- Sep 9, 2006
- AFL Club
- Other Teams
- Box Hill Hawks
The Collingwood recruitment manager was Road to the Draft and was asked who are the best S/f or academy players?Most saying Maginness a late teens pick. Including recruiters I know. He's simply not rated that highly.
McAsey not in your top 10 best on the day????? You're joking right!.lovely sunny day in Geelong, over 100 recruiters in attendance it seemed
VM V Allies was a fumbly game with little pressure from either team, which should have allowed for skills to shine through and early for the Allies it did with Gulden, Oea and Rosas putting on a show scoring some clever over the top goals using the 3 players pace to go on leads then head back towards goal in open space where the team mate would handball or kick over the top allowing them to run into open goals, all 3 played their part, but Rosas probably came out of that tactic looking the better(it netted them 5 goals and a big reason they won).
Green was a monster in the middle, playing a similar role as Oliver(Melb) does, just breaking open midfield contests, he also kicked a goal and was one of the best if not BOG
some other Allies to show something were Peatling, he has physically filled out and grown since the last Champs and is a serious draft chance for GWS imo, Parks had another solid game in defence, he is reliable and a good size, Jungfer tried hard and was good, but he doesnt have AFL traits and O'Neill had an ok game, not his best but he did just enough to get a mention, Gore is a goal scoring talent and GCS (kicking 3) even with only a few chances he capitalised on his opportunities.
as for VM, they fought back again in the last quarter only to lose, thats the story of 3 of the 4 games, lost the game by 3/4 time only to make a comeback that falls short, this time by 2 points, Rowell was the best for VM, just edged out by Green as BOG, Maginness and Anderson had a big second half helping create momentum and opportunities for the comeback, Mahony, Bianco and McAsey again had a good influence, but if they had of had more of an influence then VM win, Bergman was entertaining, going for hangars, taking on opponents and Stapleton had some good bursts of form, but seemed to be heavily rotated?, Will Phillips a 2020 prospect also looked very comfortable out there, i thought Dylan Williams was going to have a big day, took some big marks but kicked a bunch of points, at one stage early in the game i thought he might prove me wrong and kick a haul, then he disappointed again and again and again, Rosas mostly made Butler look bad, got beaten for speed, Lewis was messy with disposal, Jeka can take a mark, but cant kick a goal to save his life, missed a game winning chance also, Worrell was quiet, Byrnes was ok.
Ben Kelly in the ruck helped, he got into Bryans head imo
1. Green - Allies - too strong in the contest and broke the game open in the last half for the Allies
2. Rowell - VM - Mr Consistancy, always buzzing around and through packs, feeding runners getting the ball going forward
3. Maginness - VM - played some really good tough inside football, good clearances, some wayward kicking at times
4. Anderson - VM - ran hard and got involved moreso in the 2nd half
5. Gulden - Allies - he was one of the 3 Amigos in the forward line, who scored at will in the first half and kept pumping it forw, finished with 2 goals as well
6. Rosas - Allies - provided electric speed and ran Butler off his legs, kicked 2 goals and if they didnt fumble could have had more
7. Oea - Allies - their forward play destroyed VM defence, quick, skillful, runners, created some high quality play that wouldnt be out of place in the AFL
8. Mahony - VM - did well early went forward late and finished with 3 goals, was good in the comeback
9. Bianco - VM - talented half back that toughed it out and counter-attacked on a bunch of occassions
10. O'Neill - Allies - got involved in bursts, but not on of his better games, still has good skills and so stands out for the Allies
on my way home heard some recruiters talking about Rosas, seems some of them liked what they saw.
just watched the replay and a lot of McAsey's good work was on the opposite side of where i was sitting, he was one of the better players for VM, probably the 4th best for VM, so i would have him at 7th overall and drop everyone else down, its hard at the ground to see about 10% of the field and McAsey was in that area a lot.McAsey not in your top 10 best on the day????? You're joking right!.
If not for him they'd have lost by 30 plus.
Very deserving winner of their MVP award.
Yeah I’ll fix it, must have accidentally chucked a zero in.