Friday June 30th, 4.40pm at Etihad Stadium

Vic Metro

b: Ethan Penrith - Mitch Podhajski - Ryley Stoddart
hb: Joel Garner - Noah Balta - Nicholas Coffield
c: Angus Styles - Adam Cerra - Patrick Naish
hf: Trent Mynott - Will Sutherland - Cameron Rayner
f: Dylan Moore - Hayden McLean - Jack Petruccelle
r: Sam Hayes - Charlie Constable - Jack Higgins
i: Lachlan Fogarty - Jaidyn Stephenson - Andrew Brayshaw - Riley Jones - Tristan Xerri

emerg: Tom North - Toby Wooller

In: Podhajski, Mynott, Balta, Petruccelle, McLean, Xerri, Brayshaw
Out: Max King, Ben King, Harrison Nolan, Dylan Landt, Max Dreher, Jack Bytel, Joel Grace

SA

b: Brad McCarthy - Brandon Zerk Thatcher - Thomas Schmusch
hb: Brodie Carroll - Harry Petty - Isaac Hewson
c: Charlie Ballard - Jackson Edwards - Izak Rankine
hf: Darcy Fogarty - Jack Lukosius - Jordan Houlahan
f: Josh Smithson - Bryce Denham - James Rowe
r: Callum Coleman Jones - Alex Martini - Connor Rozee
i: Sam Davis - Stefan Giro - Mitch Crowden - Liam Denton - Nathan Kreueger

emerg: Andrew McPherson - Cooper Gaffney

In: Smithson, Kreuger
Out: Jackson Hateley, Hugo Barry

Eyes firmly on Brayshaw, yet to play a poor game this year and hopefully he is fully over his quad injury and can show what he can do. Havnt seen him miss a single running shot at goal he is incredibly efficient in that regard.

Yep looking forward to seeing Brayshaw but more generally love the 'ins' for Metro. Thats a strong side. Like to see Wooler in though.

McPherson and Krueger nice ins for SA. Chris25 bit of background on Smithson?

Yep looking forward to seeing Brayshaw but more generally love the 'ins' for Metro. Thats a strong side. Like to see Wooler in though.

185cm and 84kg
Joel Smithson- West Adelaide-
8 - U18 Games - Av 22 touches a game. and 17 Goals for the season
1 - Senior Reserves game - didnt get the stats on that sorry.

Best two games:
33 Touches vs Glenelg + 3 goals and 2 behinds Round 7 Torrens Cup MVP (Saw this live)
22 Touches vs North + 4 goals and 2 behinds.

Has done more than enough to be called up for the squad for the last two games.
Plays midfield and can hit the scoreboard obviously very well. For his height takes some good marks. Seems very strong through the hips, composed with the ball and quite agile, a solid height and weight too. He seems a more outside than inside (just off the vision and games I have seen). I like him and is another option for sticks with the likes of Crowden and Martini to get the ball out to him but he can still win the ball on his own. Seems a goal kicking midfielder for mine.
Looking forward to seeing him at the champs further.

Last edited:
SA's final team

b: Brad McCarthy - Brandon Zerk Thatcher - Thomas Schmusch
hb: Brodie Carroll - Harry Petty - Isaac Hewson
c: Charlie Ballard - Alex Martini - Izak Rankine
hf: Darcy Fogarty - Jack Lukosius - Jordan Houlahan
f: Josh Smithson - Bryce Denham - James Rowe
r: Callum Coleman Jones - Jackson Edwards - Connor Rozee
i: Sam Davis - Stefan Giro - Mitch Crowden - Liam Denton - Nathan Kreueger

Emergencies: Cooper Gaffney & Andrew McPherson

McPherson won't be risked and will play at Simonds.

Kreuger is a great in, I think a few had him as one of SAs best prospect coming into the season but he hasn't had the greatest year so far. Should start up forward, but has the ability to go down back too. I'm sure he'll impress.

As for Smithson, he has the ability to surprise I think. He's been around the mark for a while, was part of SA's U16 side a couple of years ago. He's pretty much been holding up the West Adelaide side, him and Stidiford have been their best players every game. I expect him to play primarily as a medium sized forward, rotating through the midfield. Good size at 185cm and 84kg, good above his head and has averaged about 2 goals a game in the U18s. Not the prettiest looking kick, but it's effective. Movement is good in close, uses his shoulders well to escape pressure.

Not sure what you've thought of Brad McCarthy so far, but I imagine he's a player you'd like.

Kreuger is a great in, I think a few had him as one of SAs best prospect coming into the season but he hasn't had the greatest year so far. Should start up forward, but has the ability to go down back too. I'm sure he'll impress.

As for Smithson, he has the ability to surprise I think. He's been around the mark for a while, was part of SA's U16 side a couple of years ago. He's pretty much been holding up the West Adelaide side, him and Stidiford have been their best players every game. I expect him to play primarily as a medium sized forward, rotating through the midfield. Good size at 185cm and 84kg, good above his head and has averaged about 2 goals a game in the U18s. Not the prettiest looking kick, but it's effective. Movement is good in close, uses his shoulders well to escape pressure.

Not sure what you've thought of Brad McCarthy so far, but I imagine he's a player you'd like.

Yeah he is. Seen a bit of him and he is just really neat with the ball. He can hold the ball when he needs to which I like and hence his decision making is quite good. For mine the modern game demands blokes who can hold the ball, assess more than one option and then release players through traffic. Because opposition defensive structures are so well set medium defenders, inside mids almost now must be able to unlock a defensive grid like a HB does in league or No 9 /10 will in Union. I think McCarthy has that but want to see him again against teams that will apply more frontal pressure to him.

Whats your view on him.

I like McCarthy. An extra inch or two would be ideal, but I think he offers most other things you want in a small defender. And it is a role still relatively new to him.

I'd love to see him match up on Higgins. See how well he can shut a player out, he certainly wouldn't get outmuscled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic Metro are just too deep. Making SA look pretty poor.

Vic Metro 69
SA 20

Vic Metro making it look incredibly easy. Darcy Fogarty has done nothing thus far.

Metro killing it with Brayshaw, Moore, Higgins, Constable and Stephenson on the wing the standouts. Rayner unstoppable up forward. Coffield and Podhajski been good and L.Fogarty good aswell. For SA Rankine, Petty and Edwards been good. Fogarty isn't 100% that much is obvious.

Metro are the favourites for a reason, brilliant depth

Who's done well for VM?
Will Sutherland kicked 2 nice goals in the first quarter and has worked hard up the ground to try and get involved. Higgins has got involved in multiple handball chains. Jaidyn Stephenson has worked tirelessly on the wings and used his pace to advantage to generate run and carry for VM. Rayner has been unstoppable in the forward line clunking some big marks and kicking 3 goals.

Okay he's been well down my rankings so far this year but Stephenson is going to rise up for sure after this performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back