Review Round 4 vs Carlton @ Metricon Stadium (10.04.21 - 7:25pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, Keays was showing three fifths of nothing at the Lions. He has absolutely exploded at the Crows no one anywhere could have seen that coming, not even the Crows.
I think some players just need a new environment (second chance is nothing if not an impiration) to thrive in.

I think some players just need a new environment (second chance is nothing if not an impiration) to thrive in.
I think that’s also why you see so many mid to late draft to players end up being very very solid footballers, they know they are on their only chance whereas top draft picks seem to think and probably with some justification that if it doesn’t work here other clubs will pick them up straight away

I think that’s also why you see so many mid to late draft to players end up being very very solid footballers, they know they are on their only chance whereas top draft picks seem to think and probably with some justification that if it doesn’t work here other clubs will pick them up straight away
That's right. Later picks players have to work extra hard because there is a lack of expectation on them. Unfortunately even the history stats show that most don't end up having a big career in later picks. But if you work hard enough, I don't see why anyone cant make it. A career is not built on talent alone. That gets you in the door, but working hard is all on you the moment you are put on a list.

Completely correct. That's what hurt us early days, Bluey didn't instil hard working attitude into enough of them and we ended up with so many wasted players. Been better of late but still have work to go

Surprised Harbrow didn't see anything for his hit as well. Very lucky.

Was kinda hoping he did. He is a liability in defence. Physically and mentally cooked at senior level.

We need to blood someone else in defence. McLennan, Farrar, Sharp, Davies... anyone deserving a game really.

Whether they have played defence or not, they can’t do any worse than Harbs and we might just discover someone that can fill the role for the remainder of the season. Nothing to lose.

Worried about Flanders.. was no where near it last night.
I know must be hard turning upto a game unsure if you’ll get a run. But jeez for someone who was meant to be a top 4 mid in the draft and a powerful unit.
Looks like he only been playing AFL for 2 years
Must be our development surely.

I know must be hard turning upto a game unsure if you’ll get a run. But jeez for someone who was meant to be a top 4 mid in the draft and a powerful unit.
He's always been a forward that can play mid in spurts. He is definitely a forward first.

Needs a bigger role too, hard to impact when your the 6-7th choice forward option when we go in.

View attachment 1100205
Seen none of this to date.
Big jump breaking tackles of 18 year old kids weighing 70 kilos to trying to break tackles of men weighing 90 plus who are stronger and faster. He has played less then 10 games, give him a break

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big jump breaking tackles of 18 year old kids weighing 70 kilos to trying to break tackles of men weighing 90 plus who are stronger and faster. He has played less then 10 games, give him a break

You mustn’t of seen Rowells first 4 games as a 18 yr old?

See Connor Rozee first year?
Zac butters top 40 players in all Aus team.

Noah Anderson is doing everything Flanders should be capable of

You mustn’t of seen Rowells first 4 games as a 18 yr old?

See Connor Rozee first year?
Zac butters top 40 players in all Aus team.

Noah Anderson is doing everything Flanders should be capable of
So every 18-19 year old kid should come out and dominate out of the gate? That is a stupid argument. Noah Anderson has twice the tank of Sam and has played inside midfield for years. Sam played inside spurts but mainly played up forward for Gippsland, I know this because I watched alot of his games.
Completely different players, some people take a while to mature and you are being unreasonable if you don't see Sam is a slower burn.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - this is a summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces + centre clearances and pressure acts thrown in (from AFL Match centre).

Overall Summary - 21 Bounces

Ellis 17 wing
Miller 16 (2w)
Greenwood 15
Anderson 13 (7w, 6i)
Swallow 13
Macpherson 10
Weller 10 wing
Rankine 5
Lukosius 4 wing
Holman 2 wing

Graham 8
Burgess 13

Centre Clearances

Greenwood 3
Miller 1
Swallow 1
Anderson 1
Weller 1

Top 5 Pressure Acts

37 Miller
28 Macpherson
22 Greenwood
20 Swallow
19 Holman

Breakdown by Quarter - Q1

Miller 4
Ellis 3 wing
Anderson 3 wing
Rankine 3
Greenwood 2
Swallow 2
Macpherson 1
Weller 1 wing
Lukosius 1 wing

Graham 4

Q2

Greenwood 8
Ellis 7 wing
Miller 5 (2w)
Swallow 5
Macpherson 4
Anderson 4 (2wi, 2i)
Rankine 2
Weller 2 wing
Holman 2 wing
Lukosius 1 wing

Burgess 7
Graham 1

Q3

Ellis 5 wing
Miller 5
Anderson 5 (3i, 2w)
Macpherson 5
Weller 5 wing
Greenwood 4
Lukosius 2 wing

Burgess 4
Graham 3

Q4

Ellis 2 wing
Miller 2
Swallow 2
Weller 2 wing
Greenwood 1
Anderson 1

Burgess 2

Was kinda hoping he did. He is a liability in defence. Physically and mentally cooked at senior level.

We need to blood someone else in defence. McLennan, Farrar, Sharp, Davies... anyone deserving a game really.

Whether they have played defence or not, they can’t do any worse than Harbs and we might just discover someone that can fill the role for the remainder of the season. Nothing to lose.
One positive in keeping Harbs in the team is that he'll likely become the first player to reach 200 AFL games for our club later this year. In fact, if he keeps his spot then his 200th for our club (270th overall) would be against North in Tasmania and I imagine the boys would be pretty fired up to hand out a belting in a big milestone game like that against a very beatable opponent.

However, I don't think this position will be an issue for us going forward beyond 2021. Budders will be back and by all reports Austin Harris is an absolute gun off the half back line who will likely step straight into the best 22 next year.

Thanks for the analysis Billy Bob

Interesting how Anderson is doing his work from an almost perfectly split mix of inside and wing
There has been a fair reshuffle with Brodie going out, as Anderson didn't have any wing starts in Rd 1 - Ellis & Lukosius virtually started every bounce on the wing that game (only 6 wing starts to others) - also Weller has moved from receiving almost all his starts inside to all of them outside.

EDIT: Just had a look at Champion Data's Rd 3 stats from your game - Anderson had 22 inside starts from 29 bounces, with Weller 9 inside - they don't provide wing starts so not sure whether Weller spent time there as well. Macpherson and Rankine are new additions - possibly trying to neutralise the likelihood of losing the taps with Macpherson's defensive pressure?

BTW who is responsible for knocking Ben Keys back because l know for a fact he wanted to come to us and our Club said no thanks.
keays has done better than I expected.
Thought he was poor man David swallow and last thing we needed was another guy that can’t kick.

thing is, doing well in a midfield that moves the ball quickly and has a few forwards to kick too is much easier.

He looks a lot more dynamic than some of our miss though.

why not in theoff-season go after his team mate elliott himmelburg. Showed a few good signs at the end of last year as a tall forward-ruck.

Last edited:
36 hours on, still bitterly disappointed.

It’s not the fact that we lost. Carlton are an older, more experienced team who’s biggest trumps (giant tall forwards) and excellent intercepting tall defendersare ourweak points. They were always favourites, I am . From that perspective it’s not the end of the world.

to me, the most disappointing thing is just the way we played. Zero signs of a winning game plan.Other than literally the first 2mins, we never looked like winning despite the scoreboard remaining close.

the players seem demoralised and without real leaders to me.
I think this goes right back to the start. Swallow and co never had proper leaders to learn from. They’re no doubt doing their best but I’m sure that inter generational knowledge is so important. You don’t get a Joel Selwood in full form without the Scarlett, Enright, and you don’t get those guys without the caneron lings and before him Stephen King and before him Ben Graham etc etc.

I thought he did alright on Saturday. Not amazing by any stretch, but is only a 2nd year player. Look how long it took LDU to look anything like an AFL player.

A bit like last week, just not playing very well as a team atm. Players are taking it in turns, play well one week and poor the next.

Got some structural issues, and looked a bit tired and flat the last 2 weeks, so have to question coaching and preparation. Also have to question playing the way the opposition wants.

But it would help if forwards would move a bit more to create space for others (a lot of standing around going on) and mids actually hit AFL standard targets rather than miss and either turn it over or create another stoppage.

PS, Sam Day actually made a real difference when he played his role.

a
A bit like last week, just not playing very well as a team atm. Players are taking it in turns, play well one week and poor the next.

Got some structural issues, and looked a bit tired and flat the last 2 weeks, so have to question coaching and preparation. Also have to question playing the way the opposition wants.

But it would help if forwards would move a bit more to create space for others (a lot of standing around going on) and mids actually hit AFL standard targets rather than miss and either turn it over or create another stoppage.

PS, Sam Day actually made a real difference when he played his role.
Correct re Day so to not replace him with a like player Corbett was really poor from the coaching staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back