AFL Autopsy Round 4 vs Sydney and City Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not HTB when you take the ball out of the ruck, correct call.
when you grab the ball and prance away like an andalusian, and then get tackled - it is a free.

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
Well, at least we had a decent crack. Not going to contend this year, so as long as we have a go and blood the future, I will be happy.

Sort of, 29-16 frees, * me. Particularly the 3 or 4 deliberate that were paid. Still, plenty to take away from this game even though I thought we were down a few players.

Langford??? Seems down this year compared to last. Least productive player based on expectations so far. Margaret??? Let him have a run and prove himself i suppose, need to find out now if he is part of the future.

I love Cox!!! (My kids have been saying that for years, although I think it had a different meaning 🤔) Also Waterman. Good to pick up a big bodied mature player like that. Hopefully Perkins and Jones developed into the players we want, glimpses are there.

No Draper hurts. 2LP is not the answer, and then a young Cox get thrown into it when he is more valuable elsewhere. Hopefully Hep shows some better form with a few more games under his belt. Tippa, keep your ******* feet FFS.

Oh well, disappointed and gutted, but, at least they didn't blow us away, even with the extra help they got.

This year may not be so bad after all, considering 2 weeks ago we thought we wouldn't be competitive and would only beat Norf.

Go Bombers!!!

Umpire 32 paid 16 free kicks to Sydney and 1 to Essendon (allegedly)

jacob.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
Surely if you run off with the ball after taking it you’ve had prior.

It used to be that if you took possession out of the ruck and were tackled immediately that would be deemed ‘holding the ball’. That is no longer the case ( which is fair enough). But running off with it and then getting tackled should be holding the ball every time.
Yes, this analysis is correct. But commentators have trouble with understanding this. Just because you're not automatically HTB if you grab it in the ruck and are tackled, doesn't mean you cant be penalised if you grab it and then make no attempt when tackles.

Nicholas61

All Australian
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
AFL hq you are destroying the game. Remember where your bread and butter is.

I preferred watching the NT league on the weekend with obvious decisions paid and fairness to both competitors compared to your rigged garbage of the interstate teams constantly getting the 50/50s their way as well as all the other concessions you give them - sadly it all looks phoney.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Surely once you start running with the ball that cancels out the taking it out of the ruck and it becomes prior opportunity?
it's no longer a ruck contest at that point.
4 steps. stopped, wore the tackle. that is the very definition of holding the ball.

Cats robbed lions at GMHBA. We get robbed at the SCG.
AFL has a home ground/umpire issue.
go back a few years there was a game where West Coast had more frees than points on the board at half time.

Jonathon Brown gave Francis points for the match-up. Everyone else is too busy with the circle jerk..
Wow. He must really hate Sydney because he can't ******* stand us.
Langford??? Seems down this year compared to last.
No. SCG is just too small for him. He likes a couple of seconds think music before he disposes. Won't get that on a small ground.

Macca18

EFC
Jul 6, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
We knew from Day 1 this would be a difficult season and we are zero chance of contending.

The umpires were abysmal and arguably cost us the game here, but... would we rather be losing games (when not contending) like we did tonight or capitulating and losing by 10-12 goals most weeks?

Enormously proud of the competitive effort on the big stage when the whole football world was watching. Many thought it was a waste of time flying up there as we were no chance and we still could’ve won it!

Still on track for 5 wins this year and another very good look at a very strong draft. Don’t be surprised if one of those 5 wins comes at Marvel later in the year against these same campaigners. The bottom will fall out of them sooner rather than later.

Keep up this great style of football we’ve seen for 11 of the 16 quarters we’ve played this year. We know 2021 isn’t going to be our year but when we see the likes of Cox, Archie, Ridley etc out there tonight (with plenty of young talent to come), it’s going to make the wait worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back