AFL Autopsy Round 4 vs Sydney and City Hall

Remove this Banner Ad

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
We played well but truth be told the score line flattered us.

28 scoring shots from 56 entires I50, they should have won by 9 goals.

Kudos to our guys got not breaking the dam wall when they kept coming though. All should be better for the experience of a close game.

Umpiring was crap and we should all know that we get reamed, more so Sydney in Sydney.

Anyways, frustrating game and one we could have iced but didn’t. Lots of promise and contributions across the board.

Pick ourselves up, recover and go again in Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The reason why Sydney had so many behinds is because we blocked the corridor and forced them to go wide. Many of their behinds were unrealistic shots at goal or at an angle.

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Good to see them fight it out. Hopefully Truck is instilling some really strong traits for the future. Not fussed about losing (despite sh!t umpires), this year won’t be ours. But with some really good young ones coming through and coaching that’s instills some genuine fight, the future looking brighter.

TheWeapon

Club Legend
May 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Amazed we remained competitive despite being destroyed in the clearances and the umpiring had two different sets of rules. Young sides tend to struggle winning tight games that comes with experience

Positives:
Excellent pregame schnitzel
Being at the footy again was amazing
Nik ******* Cox holy s**t what a man
Effort was tremendous
Got out of the carpark in record time

Negatives:
Francis getting pinged deliberate for a ******* diving spoil
Hind getting pinged deliberate for a soccer along the line within the vicinity of a teammate
Heppell getting pinged deliberate for a shank on his right foot
Cunningham not getting pinged deliberate for deliberately kicking it to the boundary
Hickey not getting pinged HTB at the end
Roadworks

Excellent pregame schnitzel
bj-penn-gif-not-bad-gif.gif

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Boys look shattered

Would love to see someone like Brasher ask for a please explain or something regarding the umpiring. I recall from his introductory videos that he/the club wouldn't be so complacent on issues that negatively affect our club, going forward.

Well, here's an opportunity to do so.

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Have you heard the absolute dribble from Gerard Healy and Leigh Montagnards in justifying the Hickey call. Apparently you should “always reward the ball winner” according to Healy regardless and Montagna -
St Kilda great Leigh Montagna elaborated: “We don’t want to reward the tacklers. We don’t want to reward the negative play.”
Are these f***wits drinking their own bath water.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Have you heard the absolute dribble from Gerard Healy and Leigh Montagnards in justifying the Hickey call. Apparently you should “always reward the ball winner” according to Healy regardless and Montagna -
St Kilda great Leigh Montagna elaborated: “We don’t want to reward the tacklers. We don’t want to reward the negative play.”

Hickey grabbing the ball out of the ruck was time wasting. He knew he couldn't get pinged so he did nothing but wait for the tackle, take 10 seconds of the clock, literally preventing the play. It's a s**t rule that does nothing but cause more reset stoppages.

Desync

Team Captain
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
It's ok we showed that we can push the current "Best" team and still have our Draft points who needs 4 points when we ain't going to win a premiership anyways, Would be nice to get some finals experience though :rolleyes: and a reason for Merrett so stay :unamused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires didn't help but FWIW keep playing these kids. They did have more shots and should have won comfortably but also we did only have a 5 day break.

Taking the ball out of the ruck isn't a free but taking possession then taking steps and/or having ample TIME to dispose IS - AFL needs to clarify this INTERPRETATION (as in what is opportunity) ASAP as umpiring's been 4/10 all season (was 6/10 last year)

The way our kids run both ways and work their ***** off, intense in the contest kept us in the contest. 36 tackles in the last quarter FFS.

Also showed why Stringer is so important to the forward structure. DON'T CHANGE IT!

"Mingma" Snelling had 11 tackles blimey he was in the thick of it at 5 foot not much. Goes hard for a lil' nugget.

Wright needs to go - need to play a proper ruck. I'd take Wright and BZT out and play Flipper/Bryan and Redders for extra legs. Zaka, Gleeson and the older blokes shouldn't play until all kid resources are exhausted. Zaka's form plummeted off a cliff last year and he's not a 2 way runner or quick. Their time is up.

Lav did a great job on McDonald i'd put him on Joe and Franga on Hipwood.

Extra couple of days rest - let's come out and win SATURDAY week. I'll be there on the 50m line right of screen next week.

Kudos to the Riddler, Parish, Coxy (holy amazeballs), Zerrett, Hepp (great game), Stringer and Hindy

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
Can’t believe the decision of no prior in the ruck. At least twice the Swans ruckman caught the ball in a ball up and started running.

Catching the ball and tackled fine - ball up.

But if he starts running that’s his prior and should be ball if pinned.

If the umpires decide this, then rucks should do this every time when their team is in front with a few minutes to go to create repeated stoppages.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

Post game analysis is pretty good but tonight I couldn’t stand the smug face of Jordan Lewis. Just a generally punchable face that bloke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t expect AFL.com will ever say the umpiring is trash in their match report article

What I do yearn for is just a simple “...despite a lopsided free kick count”
somewhere in there.

Is that too much to ask?

IggypopsTshirt

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Almost everything that we need to see from the selection, to the effort, to the gameplan to the player development is all there:thumbsu:
We should take our licks this year, take the nice early draft picks that come with it, make the list moves we need and then start to have a serious crack 2022/23. I like what I see.

Squeaky

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2005
Up north
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t expect AFL.com will ever say the umpiring is trash in their match report article

What I do yearn for is just a simple “...despite a lopsided free kick count”
somewhere in there.

Is that too much to ask?
"Despite a lopsided free kick count and a clearly corrupt umpiring display..."
How's that?

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
This, despite him being only 1 of 2 players on the entire ground ALLOWED to contest that ball. FMD.

Hopefully the uproar over that at least forces the league to provide clarification on that interpretation.

What Hickey did (and got away with) goes directly against the point of virtually every other rule change for the last several years- keeping the game moving.

Should have lost by 4 goals given Sydney's poor goal kicking but we also did not convert inside 50 all that well at 45%. Good to see they did not give up the fight and the young blokes did well.

Smith and Heppell... footskills not up to it. Wouldn't even attempt short passes to hit loose teammates in that last quarter, choosing to go long down the line to Hooker repeatedly despite being outnumbered.
Maybe we get rid of Parish as well given 3 of his poor hanballs ended in Swans goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back