Preview Round 5 – GWS Giants vs Fremantle Dockers, Saturday 20th April 2019, UNSW Canberra Oval, 1.45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
What an afternoon at the Cattery.

That will go down as one of the best wins in the club’s history, and one of the most significant, because of the way it was won. Composure is an art, very hard to master, and we had a team of Rembrandts on the park.

There were absolutely no passengers, with an even contribution across the board in every position. Mumford was outstanding with 40 hit outs and some welcome trademark physicality. Another highlight was the performance of Hopper and Taranto again in the midfield. We’ve never been short of top-shelf talent, but they have really stepped up and taken the pressure off Coniglio and Kelly. It makes all the difference.

I also thought Nick Haynes deserved special mention for his contested marks. They were real momentum killers for Geelong and he seems to pull down a couple of them every week.

The loss of Callan Ward to an ACL injury is devastating, and some have questioned whether we can go all the way without him. Callan won’t hear of that. He’ll cheer louder than anyone else at the club should our run extend deep into September, and do everything he can to make sure it happens. He’s all class, and we can only hope he makes a complete recovery as soon as possible.

Round 5 sees us back in Canberra for the first time this year, to take on the enigmatic Dockers. It’s one of those games, pre-season, you quietly pencil in as a win. Fremantle have a well-deserved reputation for not traveling and I think our biggest threat is complacency, so we can’t afford to take anything for granted.

The only change this week will be a replacement for Ward, most likely Toby if he is fit. No one else really deserves to be dropped. And some stability would be welcome for a change. Hopefully things will now settle down for a while.

Let's make it 4-1 in time for everyone to enjoy those chocolate Easter eggs. Go Giants!

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Early stages and would have to look at the likely Freo team, but probably I'm of a similar thought to Gigantic in terms of best options. Hately a more like-for-like change, and (as posted in the gameday thread) I'm not sure Buntine works in the forward line - I know he's doing a defensive role (which HH has played in the past). However, after that great win, I don't expect any unforced changes so more likely it will be only Greene - if fit - in for the injured captain.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I hope we get stuck into Rory

He never liked the physical stuff.. mummy will be hard at him but I hope we hit and harass him around the ground too. If we get stuck into him he will go into his shell

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Looking forward to this game and after a good start to the year hopefully the guys can keep it up, and looking like being a nice day on Saturday in Canberra so hopefully it is a sell out
no real faults in the team so like most I see just the one likely change unfortunate as it is but I have 4 bracketed for the last 2 bench spots as I feel this is a game the team can play a younger player with the youth in the Dockers it will be easier to find a more equal match up IMO. We will see on thursday but also what happens with the injury report

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
MDB Cameron Reid
Daniels HH Lloyd
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson TOJ Buntine/Greene/Hately/Bonar

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
When I bought my tickets the other day most of the categories that are seated said "Single seats only". I enjoy a packed Manuka. Great atmosphere
Gut is telling me Greene won't be back for a few more weeks.

Leon never seems confident when talking about him, maybe just a bit gunshy.

Hately in for Ward()

Reckon the Capital will put in a show and get a great crowd to roar us home by 4 goals.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Freo likely to bring darcy back for this one. Lobb will only backup ruck.

How weird is it that McCarthy is more of a danger than Hogan for the giants at the moment :)

You know secretly I love that right
I hope we get stuck into Rory

He never liked the physical stuff.. mummy will be hard at him but I hope we hit and harass him around the ground too. If we get stuck into him he will go into his shell

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Just ask here brother just ask here !!! I got ya !! :) He has been main ruck most games because Sandi is injured and Darcy for some reason sucks balls this year. So Rory was promised a forward spot but played most in the ruck like last year so far

However he spanked Goldstein round 1 and had been a big pick up for Freo so far.

However big Cam storms towards the Coleman haha

Anyone seen him play this year?

Is he their ruck or a get option?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Just ask here brother just ask here !!! I got ya !! :) He has been main ruck most games because Sandi is injured and Darcy for some reason sucks balls this year. So Rory was promised a forward spot but played most in the ruck like last year so far

However he spanked Goldstein round 1 and had been a big pick up for Freo so far.

However big Cam storms towards the Coleman haha

I'm afraid after this week Jezza will turn Sunshines hopes of a Coleman into a sunset

Like what I did there eh eh eh.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Always go for Freo when they play each other mate. Been a purple member for 25 years.. But I won't lie it's never a very stressful game because either result works.

However my rule went out the window in 2016 I think it was when Freo were bottom 2 and played GWS last couple of rounds and needed to win every game to make top 4.

My heart made me make an an exception that year :)

I think Dianod and a few others get what I mean
Great to hear.

Who are you going for?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Always go for Freo when they play each other mate. Been a purple member for 25 years.. But I won't lie it's never a very stressful game because either result works.

However my rule went out the window in 2016 I think it was when Freo were bottom 2 and played GWS last couple of rounds and needed to win every game to make top 4.

My heart made me make an an exception that year :)

I think Dianod and a few others get what I mean

Haha all good. Understandable.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Haha I like that :) very clever

Have you managed to make anyone crazy mad over there yet this year GG ? Haha

A couple of years ago GG saying "Hi" in there was like you leaving a turd bomb on someone's doorstep haha
I'm afraid after this week Jezza will turn Sunshines hopes of a Coleman into a sunset

Like what I did there eh eh eh.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Haha I like that :) very clever

Have you managed to make anyone crazy mad over there yet this year GG ? Haha

A couple of years ago GG saying "Hi" in there was like you leaving a turd bomb on someone's doorstep haha

Haha nooo I've been a good General for sometime now.

I have zero ban points against my name and everything. Lol

Boots73

Senior List
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
G’day guys just curious who you think will end up kicking more goals in their career Himmelberg or Finlayson ?

G’day guys just curious who you think will end up kicking more goals in their career Himmelberg or Finlayson ?
Himmelberg. He's a real forward. Finlayson is playing as a third tall which suits his athleticism better, but against the worse teams we'll just look for our first two options.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Finlayson's development has taken me by surprise. Just shows what a great pre-season can do.
I remember maybe 3 years ago then-NEAFL coach Brad Miller's end of year summary was 'He could be anything'.
End of the next year into 2018 he popped up as a clean kicking defender, before being bodied/ bullied by Buddy and losing confidence.
This year he's leading into pockets late in game and left-foot bending clutch goals. This guy could be anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back