Preview Round 5 – GWS Giants vs Fremantle Dockers, Saturday 20th April 2019, UNSW Canberra Oval, 1.45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
I honestly did not expect Finalyason to do what he has either

In the AFL write ups they are saying things like "Freo have to contain the giants talk forward of HH, Cameron and Finalyason" and it just sounds weird
Finlayson's development has taken me by surprise. Just shows what a great pre-season can do.
I remember maybe 3 years ago then-NEAFL coach Brad Miller's end of year summary was 'He could be anything'.
End of the next year into 2018 he popped up as a clean kicking defender, before being bodied/ bullied by Buddy and losing confidence.
This year he's leading into pockets late in game and left-foot bending clutch goals. This guy could be anything!

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So, Hately a monty to come in for Cal, surely? Born in Canberra, I think he still has relatives here, so mum and dad should be happy to come over for a debut. Give the kid a run in a home match, and see how he goes. Cogs, Hopper, Taranto, Kelly, de Boer & Whitfield are burning up the tracking so best chance to slot him into a comfortable midfield environment (as much as any midfield is ''comfortable'' in an AFL contest!).

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Last year Bonar stood out in the Manuka game against the Crows. Was hoping he would be ready to fire up again. It seems there are issues around work rate/ repeat efforts?
(Guessing here, does anybody know more?)
Pez also taking a while to recover from the Essendon tackle, he would normally be first choice. Shipley was emergency last game and a top tackler.
So Hately may get the chance, good luck to him.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Always go for Freo when they play each other mate. Been a purple member for 25 years.. But I won't lie it's never a very stressful game because either result works.

However my rule went out the window in 2016 I think it was when Freo were bottom 2 and played GWS last couple of rounds and needed to win every game to make top 4.

My heart made me make an an exception that year :)

I think Dianod and a few others get what I mean

Spare a thought for us cat-giants last week!

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
With the form Cameron is in Pearce is a good match up for him but if Hamling doesnt get up for the game it will be difficult for the Dockers to keep the 3 talls contained that is assuming the mids are good with the f50 entries
Pearce, Duman and Hamling or Cox should be ok for height match ups but Duman and Cox are still a bit inexperienced and with the form Cameron is in I hope to see another big bag from him and we can all sing his praises after what I view as a slightly disappointing back half of the season last year
Another good performance from Whitfield and I can see the media going absolutely over the top with the articles after some of the ones from this week but hopefully we see another 7 goals from Lynch or Tippa for them to fill the column inches

I think it is pretty certain that Hately will have a debut this week after a solid pre season and pretty much not missing any games so far (I think?) that would be the only change IMO, Corr will be ready after this week but it will be hard to break into the backline with Davis and Taylor playing well but he should be in before the bye even if it is just to spell Taylor for a game

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Just a question of whether the Match Committee go for Hately or Shipley you'd think. Either worthy.

When Perryman's right you'd think he'd be the one they'd want to get in there however.

Bonar has been disappointing by the sounds of things in the 2's but there's a long way to go this season.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Just a question of whether the Match Committee go for Hately or Shipley you'd think. Either worthy.

When Perryman's right you'd think he'd be the one they'd want to get in there however.

Bonar has been disappointing by the sounds of things in the 2's but there's a long way to go this season.

I think with Shipley not having any game time last week they will opt for Hately and also down to him having played most of the pre season games. Perryman was unlucky with the timing of the injury but hopefully he is progressing in rehab and back in the seniors sooner rather than later
I think with Bonar it is the club being cautious, managing his loads and him having things to work on with his game. From memory he missed most of his draft year with the ACL and with the cautious approach maybe he is on a modified program to minimise the chance of a recurrance, all just my speculation

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Bloody hell

I have 2 parts to this.

Better to rest him now, and against Fremantle, although it will be a tough game, the giants can cover that small forward spot.

However, I am a Freo supporter, and have you heard of a bloke with a never ending a
Calf issue called Harley Bennell ?? :(

May never get in the park. Hope this is not the future for Toby

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
1 change.
e1f7df68fd4290d857cc3858eba4de78.jpg
5420d0e0c7c430fd6c7344672ae3794c.jpg

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
To me it seems crazy Darcy is an emergency.

I believe he travelled so I would say Hamling late out, Darcy in
Interesting to see if Hamling is a late out for Cox and Lobb v Mumford will be a good contest, I am hoping for a injury free 4 goal win but it could be more if the mids get on top
great to see Hately debut and hoping for a composed performance

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
1 change.
e1f7df68fd4290d857cc3858eba4de78.jpg
5420d0e0c7c430fd6c7344672ae3794c.jpg

They should just name the team in alphabetical order - who in their right mind would have TOJ lining up on Hill or Hill on TOJ? When has TOJ ever played in the centre?

And Hopper in the fwd pocket? Yeah, nah.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
What is the capacity at Manuka for AFL? 12000 or around that? Hoping to get close to that and with the nice weather it should be a good crowd

What is the capacity at Manuka for AFL? 12000 or around that? Hoping to get close to that and with the nice weather it should be a good crowd
Our biggest crowd there is 14,974, not sure if the works at the southern end have changed the capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back